Oldirty North American Tour 08

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds great, have a good time I wouldn't eat too much of that fresh king crab, heard its not good for you, I'll give you an address just send it back to me.

Wow, what everyone else said, Alaska the last US frontier good luck
and watch yourn top knot! Is the job in tree industry or fishing? I once
thought of the fishing gig, good luck and god speed.

Oldirty, you be careful, enjoy yourself!! Hope all goes well........

LXT.......

yeah, he said something about longjohns. lol. you got any extras?

and i can only hope the growing season is long, midnight sun!

i'm going to take your word about the ocean currents though. dont think i want to swim in the bering sea! lol

Sierra trading post has hi-pro light weight stuff at reasonable prices Here is a search on bottoms

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/se...ords=&exactPhrase=&allAnyWords=&searchWithin=

alaska_enlarge.jpg

if this map comes through, see how Anchorage is at the top of the gulf, where the currents come up the PNW. this is what causes what I hear to be warm weather during the shorter summer.

http://www.alaskatravel.com/resources/alaska-weather.html

This gives weather and average daylight, looks like you have 4 hour nights in high summer.

Four hour "nights" is more accurate... last time I was there, it was early July, and the darkest it got in Nikiski (just southwest of Anchorage) was about what it is like at 9PM here in the summer (and that only lasted for abotu 3 hours).

Four hour "nights" is more accurate... last time I was there, it was early July, and the darkest it got in Nikiski (just southwest of Anchorage) was about what it is like at 9PM here in the summer (and that only lasted for abotu 3 hours).

I described it as a sunset that migrated from the west north until it was back in the east as a sunrise.

Hey Oldirty,.................where the hell are ya? On the side of the AlCan highway with a flat? Stuck in some not so perma permafrost? In a gulch? Check in when you get time, your fanclub awaits. lol...................gored by a moose?

Last edited:
still in mass boys. i have to do the most respectable thing i can do for the guy i just worked for and give him his 2 weeks. that'll give me a week to get all my stuff figured out 100%.

i'm definitely going thats for sure, its just that i am awful at packing so i will need that time to get it together. plus the good byes and all that.

i wish i could do the multi post thing to answer all the Q's but i am not that tech savvy.

i am flying out. i did my math and at 4600 or so miles to Anchtown it would be about 101 stops for fuel and at 100 bucks a tank that would be around 10K in fuel alone. i would loved to have taken 2 weeks to driv out that way but it would not make any economic sense. man that drive would be a bear but a good one nonetheless.

great map and links JPS thanks. the gulf of alaska and not the bering sea. my bad. so youre saying go for a swim? might have to anyway. just for the experience. lol

as far as what i am bringing, the list includes my climbing kit, work clothes and boots, everyday clothes and my backpack and a laptop. more or less traveling real light i guess. no saws making the trip. them boys are going to be shelved for a hot minute.

the work will be rez tree work. maybe some land clearing stuff. i dont think any thing along the logging line.

i thank you for your well wishings. good stuff. you know there will be some pics!

i'll see what kind of gold i can find out there chipmonk. i know i'll be looking. lol

i really dont want to look past tomw but i know i can only benefit from it. it'll be a working vacation for me. i mean i like work, really do. now i get to get paid to work in a part of the world that hasnt really seen too much of man. weekend trips into national parks? are you kidding me? of course! a working vacation indeed.

at least for the next 8 months or so the next traffic jam i get caught up in will be from the moose crossing main street. and from having to deal with massachusetts drivers on 93 south to that will be a welcome break.

LXT and MD, i do think that this'll give me a chance to see those redwoods too. what am i going to do in anchorage in the winter other than freeze my balls off?

heck ya i am going to go to south oregon/ north cali before i even think of heading east.

in fact, again not looking past tom'w, i think i will work my way across the country just to get the opportunity to see the states. and find out where i want to settle. see where the best people really are if you know what i mean.

sorry if i am rambling fellas. just very fired up for this. and i do look forward to seeing this so called sunset.

thanks boys!

hey nails.

if i have that much sunlight up there, the only thing i am shooting for is a birdie. the golf clubs are making the trip! lol

oldirty just a thought.

you checked on shipping your vehicle up there? it's got to be a lot cheaper than driving.i have heard they do it by train.

you checked on shipping your vehicle up there? it's got to be a lot cheaper than driving.i have heard they do it by train.

thought about it but havent looked into it. not worth it with the gas situation. even with me leaving it to sit in the driveway and make payments on it would be cheaper than driving it.

i'm in luck regarding the living and driving situation. the guy i am working for is putting us up on our dime (short money) in a townhouse ( 2 other climbers are coming in as well from what i understand) and there will be 2 cars there for our use. running errands and what not.

i'm telling you this is going to be a blast!

Damn, good for you man. You've tried the best, now try the rest. I was hoping to see you in the New England Championships this year. At least you can check in here from time to time, keep us posted.

No more oldirty

its

Olfrozee

lol

i was actually planning on going out and winning that thing this year too!

you gonna come and rec climb out here with me bub?

see where the best people really are if you know what i mean.

!

Thats easy, BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS! good luck with your adventure though bro! Keep us posted and when you make the move to redwood country maybe moss, donnyo and I will come find ya for a rec climb!

Back