Oldirty North American Tour 08

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought when I saw the bear picture was " AWW, they are so cute, I want to pet it." I usually don't go with my first thought...anymore. But I still think I can run pretty fast.

:hmm3grin2orange: why is it always run? Why is it not stand and take
that beast it is only an animal ever watch the edge, what one man can do another can do! :laugh: Of course I aint in Alaska so I am safe for now:laugh:

if this is in regards to me getting some ass......no. but i do have a new tear mark on the side of my hog, right where the thumb would be. must be my grip.

you are really caught up in that pic in that catalogue huh? (last years climber and the little guy is the one i was telling you about with the roping skills.)

Yeouch!
Yes, I get caught up a lot. If you want to see what i look like drive down the Ben Franklin Parkway by the Rodan Museum. You will see a big statue of a naked man sitting with his elbow on his knee and his chin resting on his palm. That's me. I should be so brash, but I do think alot.
And yeah, that was a good picture and it did have a lot to say about a lot of things. I don't think it was a mistake, the photographer knew what he was doing.

about them peckerheads.....its funny, we walk by each other without even a look in each others direction. and thats kinda hard to do in the morning when were loading up the trucks. i get there earlier than the other one just so i can have all my sh1t done (sharpening the saws, and going over the chipper, fueling the trucks/chipper, and all that fun stuff) just so i wont have to wait on him/them to use something. its kinda like high school dealing with the bs but, hey it dont bother me none when i roll out the shop with both of them on their own crew and me on our way to do the bigger work and them on the easy stuff. so it works out.

and i hear ya about leaving jobs because of idiots, good boss or not. my problem is that i am 4600 miles from my part of town and to me this is the only gig in town. but worry not about that stuff tman, i got plans. soon they'll all come together, you'll see. i'll even show ya.

Allright I missed the story. What did these guys do? Was it the lowering mess up?
One thing that picture said to me was that little guy could be a ####. I could tell even with his back to me. You have to look real close to see it. I said to myself " Self, I bet you that that guy is a peckerhead." No joke.
I wasn't telling you to bail and I guess a year there would be giving it a fair shake. Can't wait to see.

Last edited:
about them peckerheads.....its funny, we walk by each other without even a look in each others direction. and thats kinda hard to do in the morning when were loading up the trucks. i get there earlier than the other one just so i can have all my sh1t done (sharpening the saws, and going over the chipper, fueling the trucks/chipper, and all that fun stuff) just so i wont have to wait on him/them to use something. its kinda like high school dealing with the bs but, hey it dont bother me none when i roll out the shop with both of them on their own crew and me on our way to do the bigger work and them on the easy stuff. so it works out.

and i hear ya about leaving jobs because of idiots, good boss or not. my problem is that i am 4600 miles from my part of town and to me this is the only gig in town. but worry not about that stuff tman, i got plans. soon they'll all come together, you'll see. i'll even show ya.
Oldirty just keep your head up you seem like a good chap
and your work will speak for ya. Water off the back so to speak,
I do know about working politics and it does suck but most of us oldtimers
have that drive that they can't get to!

I could never play into working politics very well, to much work to do to be bothered. Give it some time and if they don't see what is real and what is just not real well, what can you do?
If you speak up and want to clean the slate with them that is good too, I would give it a try.
I used to say the same thing Ropes. "My work speaks for me" It was going good until I found this sight.( just a little chuckle)

Allright I missed the story. What did these guys do? Was it the lowering mess up?
One thing that picture said to me was that little guy could be a ####. I could tell even with his back to me. You have to look real close to see it. I said to myself " Self, I bet you that that guy is a peckerhead." No joke.

no...the dude in the pic is a good guy. like i said his hustle makes up for the rope incident. not a peckerhead. lol

in regards to the others. what i think it was is that they did not like i how came across. see, ive been around a little bit. not as many "tours" around the industry as you've pulled off tman but a few myself. anyway. them being young in the game i saw some things that needed to addressed and pointed them out. being the new guy they didnt want to hear it. but still i pointed.

anywho. i got my own crew and havent even had the chance to see them go up a tree with their chain on backwards since. true story.

and i dont think you can work a full year up here anyway.

appreciate the sentiments rope. every day is a good day man, thats a fact. hell i woke up on the right side of the dirt.

appreciate the sentiments rope. every day is a good day man, thats a fact. hell i woke up on the right side of the dirt.

See that's it, that is the attitude right there, a good climber always
keeps that in the back of his mind. Humility is powerful stuff, keep up
the attitude oldirty your going places my friend!

30-30?

Or 5 rounds of the 30/30. But i would wait to see what happened before I started working the lever.
Kinda of like when you are looking in someone's yard at a job and the mutt comes a charging. you just want to counter, wrestle in up, reach in its mouth and pull its toungue.

don't shoot the whole tube at him ! save the last round for yourself! i'll take the 45-70 today.

also,

Old Dirty, I spent quite a bit if not the whole summer of 06' in the Bush in Griz country, you'll be fine...unless there is little or no fish. I would go 12 gauge
3" mag slug, buckshot, slug, etc, and a good .44. Both of these weapons can be carried on your person while out and about with little hassle. I got chased by a Grizzly in a river, I was in a raft floating by him...Kinda hard to turn around or stop in that current!

look at the new Ruger Redhawk with the 4" barrel.they come in 44 or 45 colt.throw some cast Buffalo Bore in there at 300 or 325 grains and you should be good to go.i'd recommend the Colt Anaconda in the same calibers but they are a little pricey these days.i have two but they ain't for sale,no matter how much i like you.the Marlin Guide gun is sweet in 45-70 but not as fast handling as the revolver.

don't shoot the whole tube at him ! save the last round for yourself! i'll take the 45-70 today.

Griz=375 h&h or bow whichever you feel most comfortable with.
I would not use a 30 30. weatherby mag 300,375 H&h is most likely
the best griz gun made. Of course there is always the 54 cal hawkins!

i agree Rope.all great calibers.

Griz=375 h&h or bow whichever you feel most comfortable with.
I would not use a 30 30. weatherby mag 300,375 H&h is most likely
the best griz gun made. Of course there is always the 54 cal hawkins!

i was just trying to think of guns in calibers that were easier to carry or use quickly. i would rather climb with a large caliber handgun on my leg than a rifle or shotgun on my back.

So you don't think a 30/30 will do the job? I thought it would. I don't know a whole lot about guns but I am surprised to hear that everybody seems to agree that the 30/30 ain't enough.
I guess I was thinking of close range firing. How about jamming a half stick up its ass?

See that's it, that is the attitude right there, a good climber always
keeps that in the back of his mind. Humility is powerful stuff, keep up
the attitude oldirty your going places my friend!

Yes and true. If you can let others see that maybe they won't be such peckerheads.

look at the new Ruger Redhawk with the 4" barrel.they come in 44 or 45 colt.throw some cast Buffalo Bore in there at 300 or 325 grains and you should be good to go.i'd recommend the Colt Anaconda in the same calibers but they are a little pricey these days.i have two but they ain't for sale,no matter how much i like you.the Marlin Guide gun is sweet in 45-70 but not as fast handling as the revolver.

4" barrel and 325 grains? I guess that IS a little more sting than my little 30/30.
In AZ you can walk down the street with 2 ivory colts slung on your hip, NO PROBLEM. They might have changed that law.
I guess if I was doing green work around Alaska I would try to always have quick access to the proper tools myself. Just makes good sense.

Now Oldirty, I said that guy "could" be a peckerhead. Sometimes you to have to show humility to those around you.
I can't beleive no one else has anything to say about that picture! Its striking! I was smitten. Maybe its just me.

Back