Olympyk, Olympic, Oleo Mac, Emak, Efco, Blitz, Folux, Spartan, Spartacus thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to split the case on the 264, mainly to make sure all the dirt it sucked in gets out before I put a bunch of shiny new parts on her. This will be my first splitting adventure, you guys got any tips, tricks, dos and dont's for me?

I've got a new case gasket on the way.

I once saw a thread on here about rejuvenating those old coils that had the bakeolite plastic for the outside cover. They were using something like dialetic grease or something of that nature. I remember years ago when I was working at an electrical supplier they sold something for coating cables when you were running aluminum wire to copper wire. I think that was what they were talking about.

Filters are still available for the 264.The new ones are fine mesh and are a big improvement over those fuzzy filters. The scoring was probably the result of the motor sucking in the fuz as much as sawdust.

Both saws above are very nice.I have a 264 Deluxe in need of some bench time.

Last edited:
I once saw a thread on here about rejuvenating those old coils that had the bakeolite plastic for the outside cover. They were using something like dialetic grease or something of that nature. I remember years ago when I was working at an electrical supplier they sold something for coating cables when you were running aluminum wire to copper wire. I think that was what they were talking about.

Filters are still available for the 264.The new ones are fine mesh and are a big improvement over those fuzzy filters. The scoring was probably the result of the motor sucking in the fuz as much as sawdust.

Both saws above are very nice.I have a 264 Deluxe in need of some bench time.

Thanks for the info. I did some searching, it appears the VW 2.5 turbo motors are notorious for cracking coils, and guys seem to be having good luck with hi-temp epoxy, so I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt anything.

I've got a new filter headed this way, the nylon style. Flocked filters suck (pun?) when they wear out.

Thanks for the info. I did some searching, it appears the VW 2.5 turbo motors are notorious for cracking coils, and guys seem to be having good luck with hi-temp epoxy, so I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt anything.

I've got a new filter headed this way, the nylon style. Flocked filters suck (pun?) when they wear out.

where you getting the filter from? how much you payin?

Reviving this thread with some old Olympyk muscle.

[video=youtube;AH9mhYiz7IA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH9mhYiz7IA[/video]

hey shaun, nice saw; love to have one. what was that you hit at 0:28?

It was just the chain getting smacked back into the bar on the 6x6 that the log is propped on... no visible damage to the chain, no metal to be found in the 6x6.

Also never mind the little Wendel towards the end... I forgot my suspenders at home.

Reviving this thread with some old Olympyk muscle.

[video=youtube;AH9mhYiz7IA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH9mhYiz7IA[/video]

Nice! Too bad you didn't have the decal for the rewind. Damn nice saw anyways. I would have probably took the rakers down a little more though if I was speed cutting like that.

It was just the chain getting smacked back into the bar on the 6x6 that the log is propped on... no visible damage to the chain, no metal to be found in the 6x6.

Also never mind the little Wendel towards the end... I forgot my suspenders at home.

I seen that too. Almost looked like you hit a rock or something.

Spent some time tonight cleaning parts on my 264F Deluxe. It's cold out, and hanging out downstairs by the stove tinkering was just the thing to do.

It came to me with low compression, thanks to an air filter that was done filtering long before the saw was done running. Of course the bare spot was directly across from the intake:

attachment.php

The coil works fine, but I'm worried about the cracks on either side of the center post. Is there anything I can do to prolong it's life, or just run it till it pukes (hopefully a long time):

attachment.php

The pile of cleaned up/new parts. Thanks again to Jerry for the piston assembly, and Jeff for the rings.

attachment.php

just curious. did you finish your rebuild? what did you do to the coil?

just curious. did you finish your rebuild? what did you do to the coil?

Got a stack of parts to throw at it, just need to get little bro's Stihl finished up first. Hope to get it back together in the next couple of weeks.

There's another 264F on CL locally, I'm doin all I can to resist CAD right now.

Got a stack of parts to throw at it, just need to get little bro's Stihl finished up first. Hope to get it back together in the next couple of weeks.

There's another 264F on CL locally, I'm doin all I can to resist CAD right now.

no sense in resisting cause if you're successful you'll regret it later on. that is, if its not a money pit. i've got two in various states of disrepair. neither has the chain brake attachment. guess they'll end up being 264's

I just picked up a very dirty 251 super but it is missing the fuel and oil caps, this saw looks huskyesque will husky caps work?

Shaun is supposed to have this saw at the Mo. gtg on April 6th and I defintely will get in line to run it.:)

Shaun is supposed to have this saw at the Mo. gtg on April 6th and I defintely will get in line to run it.:)

It's first on the list to make it in the truck. It's almost 32lbs with bar and chain and it's pulling a little over 200 psi so anyone man enough to pick it up and start it can run it. Mo. Jim, I'll make an exception for you... I won't make you start it. :msp_biggrin:

It's first on the list to make it in the truck. It's almost 32lbs with bar and chain and it's pulling a little over 200 psi so anyone man enough to pick it up and start it can run it. Mo. Jim, I'll make an exception for you... I won't make you start it. :msp_biggrin:

I would appreciate that,your allright,I don't care what Mikey says.:)

picked up a JD cs56 today

This is made by Efco, I think either a 156 or a 956 not sure. Well when it was handed over I gave the starter a pull and was disappointed in the lack of comp. However later at home I discovered the comp release and yes feels like good comp. Good looking spark too. Dirty and dusty but the air filter looks good very little dust. 18" bar and .325 chain both in good cond.

I haven't pulled the muffler yet to get the real story but for $50.00 so far I'm happy. Oh and they threw in Stihl ms170 with a burned up piston. This was one of those I'll pay you via etrans and we will work out delivery later. Well it was later but worth the wait. I'll make some money of these.

Regards,

Lee :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Efco dealer

Is there an Efco dealer as sponsor on this website? I may need a fuel tank for a JD cs56 or efco 156. It turns out the cs56 has a slow fuel leak on the seam of the fuel tank. I'm trying sealall at the moment on the outside and I may need to go the the inside solution or a new tank but the saw is Mustard.

Thanks,

Lee

Last edited:
Back