OMG Don't buy That

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know many of us have our favorite saw and some are very brand loyal. Looking at many of the chainsaw discussions it is easy for many to suggest which saw/saws one should add to their arsenal.
However I never hear what not to get.
Is there any current chainsaws being made that people should stay clear of.

I do not know of any.
In fact the worst saw I ran recently was a Poulan wildthing , darn thing vibrated my fillings out. However I can not dismiss it's usefulness especially when it can be had easily for under $100
My neighbor has a wildthing that he has been using the past few years. He cuts at least 8 cords a year sometimes double that. And I even seen him cut up the 20ft main stem of a 42" wide oak with his 18" Poulan. It was like he was playing a cool game of tic tac tow
So is there a saw currently available that you would not even suggest to your ex's boyfriend?

not that i praise the wild thing but they do have pretty good power for what they are, they also made them in a A/V version as well, i recently bought a PP220 with A/V and two non strat wildthings in a package deal super cheap, all are runners, and all are 42cc.......night and day between the A/V model and the non A/V thangs, on the plus side, there's millions of them out there, so parts are plentiful and cheap, still a win win in my book..........saws i refuse to buy are the later cheapy homies, clones saws, and others that look like they're made by remington?, hell if i can't tell who makes them i don't want it........

I used to be on a brand band wagon, but after running a few saws, and working on a few saws the reality is they will all cut wood and last longer than most of us need them to if taken care of. So my advice is don't buy anything you can't get parts for, or don't have a reputable dealer for in your area.

i don't think echo ever really tried to get too involved with pro saws, they seam to be more homeowner based and the prices reflect that, the only real pro saws i can think of off the top of my head, would be the 900evl, 1001, and the 1200........

I wouldnt buy one of those chinese copy stihl or huqvarnas. Look pretty cheap on tbe comparison videos on youtube.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

What not to get in add to the arsenel or what to advise someone else not to get might be really different. It also seems you seem to have a notion of how the ex's current boyfriend' friendship or lack of would be.

If you hire people or work with them on some basis, you help me, go to work parties at some club or similar organization etc I will note a few things.
A chain brake that works and fuel and oil filling spots in the conventional spots are to be considered. I have named one model that has both of these shortcomings (in prior posts on here) but I do use it a lot myself. I even have heard the auto tune models have advantages in that employees cant spend time tampering.

I would say to stay away from anything that makes a lot of noise unless the user is going to be wearing hearing protection.

What not to get in add to the arsenel or what to advise someone else not to get might be really different. It also seems you seem to have a notion of how the ex's current boyfriend' friendship or lack of would be.

If you hire people or work with them on some basis, you help me, go to work parties at some club or similar organization etc I will note a few things.
A chain brake that works and fuel and oil filling spots in the conventional spots are to be considered. I have named one model that has both of these shortcomings (in prior posts on here) but I do use it a lot myself. I even have heard the auto tune models have advantages in that employees cant spend time tampering.

I would say to stay away from anything that makes a lot of noise unless the user is going to be wearing hearing protection.
On the point of auto tune and employees - it's great they can't tune them - but needing to actually read the manual to start a husky can be frustrating. I don't like explaining things for a second time when I see someone wailing away on a start rope and I have to stop work to explain "fast idle when warm". Obviously this is husqvarna's fault - not my poor teaching skills.

Latest posts

Back