? on a CB5648

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhawk1961

Reaction score
Hello all, I'am a newbe here although i'm not new to cutting or burning wood, I'm am new to the owb and have been looking and reading for a good while.
My queston is I've found a CB5648 it's used about 6 years old, are there issues with the unit? I can't seam to find any info on the model or parts availabilty. just don't want ot buy a headache. thanks for any advice you may have:cheers:

I have had mine for 8 years, it's very well built, very simple design so not much to go wrong. All I have replaced is a $30 solenoid for the damper.

Each time a description of the change, there is always plenty to talk about around the world. They are not exempt. A statement usually is: "i have to change almost immediately versions, so do not expect me to date continue to attack ...

I have had one since 2004. Replaced 1 draft door solenoid and 1 door seal.

Things to check on:

1 Was water chemistry maintained?

2 What kind of wood was burned? You want to avoid it if the previous owner burned treated wood, plywood or garbage.

3 Look inside the stove at the welds and for any signs of warped metal, leaks etc.

4 Did owner keep a cap on the chimney when not in use?

5 Other than those items, check to make sure everything works such as the draft and the temp control unit.

6 Look at the door seal, when was that last changed?

Good luck, let us know how it works out!

Last edited:
I have had one since 2004. Replaced 1 draft door solenoid and 1 door seal.

Things to check on:

1 Was water chemistry maintained?

2 What kind of wood was burned? You want to avoid it if the previous owner burned treated wood, plywood or garbage.

3 Look inside the stove at the welds and for any signs of warped metal, leaks etc.

4 Did owner keep a cap on the chimney when not in use?

5 Other than those items, check to make sure everything works such as the draft and the temp control unit.

6 Look at the door seal, when was that last changed?

Good luck, let us know how it works out!

What is wrong with burning garbage in a wood stove?

What is wrong with burning garbage in a wood stove?

The short answer is EVERYTHING!

First of all, these units were designed as wood heating devices, NOT incinerators. When you burn garbage and processed wood you are also burning all the chemicals and unhealthy things that are in them. You then spew all those really bad toxins in the air for all others to breathe. In addition burning this stuff creates acids that will significantly shorten the life of the stove.

And last this activity is the number 1 reason that governments are trying very hard to ban all outdoor wood stoves. Please do not be one that adds to the problem.

If your intent is to use your outdoor wood stove is to burn garbage and processed wood products, please do all outdoor furnace users a favor and forget the whole idea. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I was just asking. We do not burn garbage in our stove. I just did not realize that is one of the reasons they are trying to ban stoves.

seasoned seasoned wood cant explain it enough believe far better burn times and great BTUS outta the wood people ruin it for everyone else burning garbage and green wood producing large amounts of smoke thats why there are all these banning issues:msp_angry:

Hello all, I'am a newbe here although i'm not new to cutting or burning wood, I'm am new to the owb and have been looking and reading for a good while.
My queston is I've found a CB5648 it's used about 6 years old, are there issues with the unit? I can't seam to find any info on the model or parts availabilty. just don't want ot buy a headache. thanks for any advice you may have:cheers:

welcome to the forum.

Latest posts

Back