One giant ash tree down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The tree service hired by the town showed up today and cut my big ash tree down. It was on the towns property at the edge of the road and my land. I hope they comeback and cut some other dead trees that are close to the road. The misses told them to just drop the big tree and leave it.
I’m thinking what ever isn’t on the towns land maybe the power company will cut the rest since it’s close to the wires. I have other dying trees on my land that need to come down that will cost me. Got lucky today.

I need to inspect the long straight trunk it might be sawmill quality.

Also, here's another thought. If possible, leave any dead trees that you can for wildlife habitat. A certain amount of dead trees is part of nature's provision for small critters.

However, any dead--ash especially--that threaten your electrical service, structure, or that want to fall on your drive, these you want removed. But if you have snags that threaten nothing, it's good to leave some. Dead ash is going to fall on its own at some point.

Metal detector.
Worked at a big mill trying to pay for college. Big oak came in, too big to get 1st slabs off, needed to chain saw the 1st cuts.

Then a few slabs in the 440V 300 HP electric circle saw stopped dead. It hit 4 horseshoes from an old split rail gate.

Worked at a big mill trying to pay for college. Big oak came in, too big to get 1st slabs off, needed to chain saw the 1st cuts.

Then a few slabs in the 440V 300 HP electric circle saw stopped dead. It hit 4 horseshoes from an old split rail gate.
Logs that size really suck if you don't have a top saw........LOL!! always pretty touch and go right at the end chainsawing the first slab away that it doesn't flatten you in the process!! Lawn trees, boundry trees and roadside trees can have just about anything in them...scary ****!! Besides being dangerous you run the risk of destroying a rotary saw blade in the process....last one I bought 15 years ago was $3,200.00 for a 48" set up and hammered for my RPM......takes the profit out of a day's work!!!!..........hit an ax head buried in a big white pine......diesel didn't care but the blade sure did. Got a reaction out of me too!!!

Logs that size really suck if you don't have a top saw........LOL!! always pretty touch and go right at the end chainsawing the first slab away that it doesn't flatten you in the process!! Lawn trees, boundry trees and roadside trees can have just about anything in them...scary ****!! Besides being dangerous you run the risk of destroying a rotary saw blade in the process....last one I bought 15 years ago was $3,200.00 for a 48" set up and hammered for my RPM......takes the profit out of a day's work!!!!..........hit an ax head buried in a big white pine......diesel didn't care but the blade sure did. Got a reaction out of me too!!!
That blade was sort of like a potato chip when we got the saw backed out. I think they rehammered it back? Boss was pissed off, crew was happy, it was 95 oF and humid, we got afternoon off.

When the woods guys came in with more logs, boss about ripped them to shreds for a "line tree".

when I cut the lawn a green ash beetle landed on me. Near this dead tree. It was very tall near the power lines, I couldn’t fell it because it was leaning towards the power lines. One down probably 9 more to go. I’m thinking more on the towns land.
I need to get a 52” bar with a milling chain.

Here ya go!! I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP at my shop except my trees won't even make useful firewood. The power company is supposed to take these four trees down ........sometime.........View attachment 910636
We burn pine too once the hardwood is up to temp throw the pine split smaller on top. The heat in the woodstove burns it up.

Latest posts

Back