"one piece of advice"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by ROLLACOSTA
dont price up over the phone... most people bullsh*t about the size and quantity of stumps...unless you charge by the hour

It's ALWAYS BIGGER and HARDER than they say it is!!:blob2:

We are having a tough time finding an insurance company to underwrite the stump ginding.

Any sugestions for companys or agents would sure help.

thanks for all the good advice, please keep it coming.

Originally posted by aussie_lopa
get your dad a good dust mask respirater thats for sure
I wear a bandana over mine to cover up the cracks. And I use earplugs inside of ear muffs. I ain't got much hearing or breathing power left; gotta save what little is there.

If I only knew then...

Every time you stop, reposition or move to another job check each tooth to make sure it's still tight. A slightly loose tooth will break way before a solid one will. And always carry spare teeth to replace broken ones with. It may not be a problem in your area but around here I'm always grinding stumps that have been growing with our glacial till soil(ie ROCKS).

qoute $70 over phone for a dinner plate size stump,tell them it could be up to $150 they always grow on the way there ha

My minimum charge to grind any stump is $150.00. For someone to rent a little Praxis from the rental yards here is $125.00, and they would have to pick it up, grind it themselves, clean the grinder, pay for any broken teeth and return the machine.

From talking to different people at the several TCI Expos I have attended, it seems like you can get stumps done a lot cheaper on the CONUS (continental US) than here. We can sell stump grinding here for big bucks. My best day was grinding 40 stumps, almost all were 4-6 inches in dia., with a couple of 2 footers at the National Cemetery for $1600. All I had to do was grind them 2-3 inches below grade so the mowers would not hit them. I used my Rayco 1620 JR hitched to the back of my JD Gator to move around. I completed that job in 6 hours by myself.

Latest posts

Back