One saw, one chain solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well to tell ya a secret I hardly ever sharpen any of my own chains. Most times if I'm sawing, hit a rock or something, that chain takes a hike across the woods and a new one goes on. Mind ya now I getem pretty cheap, I wouldn't expect the man paying more to do such a thing...

Tom, why dont you start saving them chains and send them to me. 'll pay ya shipping plus a lil something for your time. Stihl RS or RSC, right?

can i get all 12 of my chains sharpened for my only saw today? look them straight in the eye and tell them to hand you there chains,then hand them a limb saw plus deposit,tell them it will be ready in two weeks.on the other hand you can buy a couple of new chains. :stupid:

We keep each owners manual, scrench, and and any other tools together in 1 gallon zip lock bags
and I toss in the extra chain after the sale is a done deal.
I hand them their receipt and tell them I gave them an extra chain so they don't run out of work.
When guys come and want chains done that day I tell them you go to the coffee shop and get a cup of coffee and I'll do the best chains they have and them back to work today. But it'll be a couple days to get the rest done.

Last edited:
Tommy, what do you mean by sharpening chains??? Should the chain on my saw be sharp?

:deadhorse:

Yeah, Tom. We all got lots of other things to do...just sharpen our only chain and we'll hang out 'til you're done. And hurry it up a little will you? The Husky shop down the road is giving away free hats with a saw demo and we need to get there before they're all gone. :hmm3grin2orange:

Tom, and dealers in general; don't you have tons of chains that people have forgotten about over the years?

My dealer has chains nobody has picked up for years. He has them in boxes according to year, sorta like taxes (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.....). After 5 years or so, he finally takes them home for personal use.

The oldest chains we have are from this spring. We usually get two phone number either cell, home, work.
We look at chains like any outstanding bill, you got 20 chains on the wall that 120$, 50 chains hell that's 300$ in unpaid labor.
If they've been here a year or more they get used either by us or we'll put them on a used saw.

Well to tell ya a secret I hardly ever sharpen any of my own chains. Most times if I'm sawing, hit a rock or something, that chain takes a hike across the woods and a new one goes on. Mind ya now I getem pretty cheap, I wouldn't expect the man paying more to do such a thing...

No cussing when 10 years from now you ruin a chain when you hit one of the chains you flung into the woods and it happened to land in the crotch of a tree that your now cutting.

Tommy, what do you mean by sharpening chains??? Should the chain on my saw be sharp?

Isn't it better for the environment to have tiny particles of wood to break down versus big old saw chips?

It takes a long time to get a saw chain to where it is throwing tiny dusty particles. (Or just a couple of dips in the dirt!:monkey: )

Don't ruin the process by making the chain sharp.

one of the chains you flung into the woods

No ****...ripped open a glove and a finger on someone's discarded saw chain...tearing out some small brush around a tree I intended to fall...

Bet your butt I'm more careful now...dayum champ...here I considered you the pillar of responsible saw use....

:agree2:

If I rock out or severely dull a chain I toss it like a bad habit. No point in wasting an hour and a file trying to revive a damaged chain when new ones are $10.00. When you think about it, the amount of wood you can saw with one chain from new to dull (assuming you take care and don't try to mine the earth for gemstones) is pretty impressive. Even if I had to expend a new chain for every firewood gathering trip I'd still be WAY ahead of buying the wood. I am however, poor and cheap, so I file the %@^# outta my chains until they are absolutely used up.

Tom, why dont you start saving them chains and send them to me. 'll pay ya shipping plus a lil something for your time. Stihl RS or RSC, right?

LOL, Bow I figure it like this. Them chains aren't good enuff for me so surely I wouldn't dare think they are good enuff for anyone else,LOL

The image in my head of Ole Tommy all Elvis looking, out in the woods murdering a tree, hits a rock, lets off a string of intense profanity, takes off the chain, sends her flying through the timber made me laugh my butt off. I almost spilled my beer.

Seriously, though, I would love to have those new-once dulled chains!~

Haha. Friday I had a man bring in two 260Pros. He goes neither one runs but they both ran a few weeks ago. I look at em and think what the f-ck, look at those chains. I'm not kiddng, they had been sharpened so far back there wasn't hardly any of the cutters left.

I said hold on a second, let me check something here. I pulled the muffler covers on both and bingo, both fried, scored bigtime. He goes how can that be, they were running a few weeks ago. I said look at the chains. He flipped out. He has guys working for him and didn't notice the chains on these saws.
He goes them sumabi-ches, they ruined both of these saws. I said well now hold on, they can be repaired. I give him a price for both and he says well I'll have to see what the farm owner says. We may just get new saws. I said get spare chains too,LOLOLOL

Yeah, Tom. We all got lots of other things to do...just sharpen our only chain and we'll hang out 'til you're done. And hurry it up a little will you? The Husky shop down the road is giving away free hats with a saw demo and we need to get there before they're all gone. :hmm3grin2orange:

That right Bob. Hey Bob I gotta run up front for a minute, you hang tight there.

(Hey Joe how long you think Bob is gonna hang tight down there,LOL)

Tom, and dealers in general; don't you have tons of chains that people have forgotten about over the years?

My dealer has chains nobody has picked up for years. He has them in boxes according to year, sorta like taxes (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.....). After 5 years or so, he finally takes them home for personal use.

Yup, know exactly what your talking about there. Each year I pull up the big trash can and any chain sharpened thats been there over a year gets canned. I don't even look in the bag to see what it is. I cuss the owner and toss his chain.

I could have taken home probably a 100 chains in the last couple of years. Thing is I like sawing with a new chain. Sharpened chains are ok I guess, they cut ok, but me, give me a new one and trees beware, here I come...

No cussing when 10 years from now you ruin a chain when you hit one of the chains you flung into the woods and it happened to land in the crotch of a tree that your now cutting.

Can't argue with ya. I've been lucky I guess, I've yet to hit one of my old chains but if I do and dull the one I hit it with I'll toss it and put on a new one,LOLOL

Latest posts

Back