One saw, one chain solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, know exactly what your talking about there. Each year I pull up the big trash can and any chain sharpened thats been there over a year gets canned. I don't even look in the bag to see what it is. I cuss the owner and toss his chain.

I could have taken home probably a 100 chains in the last couple of years. Thing is I like sawing with a new chain. Sharpened chains are ok I guess, they cut ok, but me, give me a new one and trees beware, here I come...

seeing as how the end of the year is near... you throw all those chains in a box marked volks and i will swing by and 'throw them out' for you!
i'll be heading north here in a week or two.:cheers:

Finding a Stihl dealer able to competently sharpen any chain is a feat in itself--let alone finding one who can sharpen one on the spot. It's ok Tom--you can tell the customer you can't sharpen a chain worth a darn--might save 'em some time. :cheers:

No ****...ripped open a glove and a finger on someone's discarded saw chain...tearing out some small brush around a tree I intended to fall...

Bet your butt I'm more careful now...dayum champ...here I considered you the pillar of responsible saw use....

We all have our faults Cord. I admits its not the best practice to toss dull chains in the woods but then again I'm probably one of the very few that does. Must remember now I don't tossem that often. If I've been cutting and I'm finnished I'll bring the saws home with the chains on em. Most times before I head to go sawing again the saws all get a new chains. The old ones I used last time get tossed upon the table and left behind. Those brothers of mine love going in my little shop. I get the "Ya gonna use that chain", nope, take it. They get alot of chains off me. They can sharpen the dayumm things themsleves, that I won't do for em,LOL

Run a special!!...Chains sharpened on the spot for $30.00-includes a free chain!!!:cheers:

I got one better T. They come in and ask can you sharpen my chain right now. Me being the little bas-tard that I am I'll go do you need it today, they go yes. I'll say well ya shoulda brought it in yesterday, I get the but but but I was busy yesterday. I'll say I'm busy today, LOLOL

The image in my head of Ole Tommy all Elvis looking, out in the woods murdering a tree, hits a rock, lets off a string of intense profanity, takes off the chain, sends her flying through the timber made me laugh my butt off. I almost spilled my beer.

Seriously, though, I would love to have those new-once dulled chains!~

I'll see if I can get it on film for ya Bow,LOL

Sawing right along, all is good and then, zipp, hit a rock. Mother----- Suma---, dayumm it to hell, zoom down through the woods it goes,LOLOL

seeing as how the end of the year is near... you throw all those chains in a box marked volks and i will swing by and 'throw them out' for you!
i'll be heading north here in a week or two.:cheers:

12/31/08 come on by. I don't like dragging that trash can in the shop anyway, bring your own bucket, I'll filler up.

Ya know I've had guys come back after a year looking for their chains. I don't tell em I threw the things away. I go well we thought you died or moved away so we sold em. They don't forget anymore thinking we made a penny on thier chains....

My boss never sharpened a chain on his MS180 just bought a new one!
Now i sharpen it for him yep his only chain!

He didn't keep any of the old ones?
Reminds me of when bicycle chains were $1.88 when they went on sale, not $20. I rode 200+ miles a week and threw away a chain every month or so. 'Oh, gee, I rode 30 miles in the rain yesterday and the chain started squeaking, guess I'll just put a new chain on.'

The funniest part was when I just finished switching chains and a girl walked into my dorm room with a broken chain on her bike, could I fix it? "Well, yeah, I'll just get this chain I put in my wastebasket five minutes ago..."

I wish I had 20 of those chains that I threw away with only about 1000 miles on them.

12/31/08 come on by. I don't like dragging that trash can in the shop anyway, bring your own bucket, I'll filler up.

Ya know I've had guys come back after a year looking for their chains. I don't tell em I threw the things away. I go well we thought you died or moved away so we sold em. They don't forget anymore thinking we made a penny on thier chains....

try and throw one of them old chains on that 038 magII before i get there.

Finding a Stihl dealer able to competently sharpen any chain is a feat in itself--let alone finding one who can sharpen one on the spot. It's ok Tom--you can tell the customer you can't sharpen a chain worth a darn--might save 'em some time. :cheers:

Ewwwwwwww. Now I get to have some fun. So ya saying Space if you get a chain sharpened, you paid, take it home and it doesn't cut well you feel you got screwed. Almost as bad as the lawyer bill in the mail after your lawyer lost your case huh,LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Fact is Space I'm very good at sharpening chains. Everyone in town knows it and they pester the hell out of me with their dayummm chains, I hate sharpening chains period, buy a new one and pitch the dull one is my way..

Last edited:
I have a few chains to choose from, not counting what is in the case with the 372. --Ian

attachment.php

Your secret is out and you just tripped over your Bad habit!! The woods is not a place for your steel to be left behind. Take it home and dispose of it properly. Hope I'm not to straight forward. I don' like surprises.

Ewwwwwwww. Now I get to have some fun. So ya saying Space if you get a chain sharpened, you paid, take it home and it doesn't cut well you feel you got screwed. Almost as bad as the lawyer bill in the mail after your lawyer lost your case huh,LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Fact is Space I'm very good at sharpening chains. Everyone in town knows it and they pester the hell out of me with their dayummm chains, I hate sharpening chains period, buy a new one and pitch the dull one is my way..

I'll bet you're real good at adjusting the bar stretchers too, huh. :hmm3grin2orange:

Your secret is out and you just tripped over your Bad habit!! The woods is not a place for your steel to be left behind. Take it home and dispose of it properly. Hope I'm not to straight forward. I don' like surprises.

As Elvis would say, yes sir son. Whatever you say. Your not being too striaght forward at all, you 100% correct.

(f-ck, someone shot guns in these woods, look at the bullet I just hit in this tree, sawed it right in half, where's my scrench, hand me a new chain,haha)

I'll bet you're real good at adjusting the bar stretchers too, huh. :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, Space I'm a bit disappointed in ya. I gave you a huge opening to use your lawyering skills arguing over results, getting what you pay for, and you didn't bite, your day off or something,:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Latest posts

Back