One saw, one chain solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommie/Spike/BOTI,

Why don't you guys do and exCHAINge? Yep. Keep 3 or 4 used, shapened chains in the most comon sizes, say 16", 18" and 20". Take an exCHAINge off the wall, slap it on, collect $7 and throw the removed chain in the exCHAINge to be shapened during a slow day bin.

Joat

I do the exchange thing all the time Joat. I get a man that wants his chain sharpened on the spot, he and I have an exchange, he buys a new one, I do the dull one after he leaves, sometimes within 5 minutes after he leaves,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Joat as you know I love that movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Remember that one scene where that preacher, Big Dan T, took them boys out in the field to have lunch. He wound up smacking both with a big tree limb and stole all their money. He said quote "its all about the money boys".

Using that frame of mind when a man only has one chain he must be thinking its about the money as to why he only has one. That said I'm thinking its time for that cat to spend some money. So in all its just like Big Dan T said, its all about the money boys,LOLOLOLOL

So, Thall...where did the 2 chewed up saws come from...the Marriot Ranch? Seriously tho...I keep 3 chains for each saw, and I pitch it when I rock it...just did that to one from the 036, chain did not have 3 hrs. on it...oh well. You would like a customer like me...I replace bars/chains every one and1/2 yr. or so. I can't stand downtime.
:givebeer:

Those two saws came from a farm about 10 miles outside of town. I have never seen chains so worn out on any saw, they may as well been running those saws with no chains, they were that bad. Considering they burnt up both saws within hours of each other it proves what I've always said, a bad chain frys more saws than anything else.

That would work if the chains were pretty much all worn to the same degree. But that of course isn't possible. Some of the chains would be coming in for their first sharpening and some would be pretty worn back.

Bottom line is that anyone who only owns one chain is unprepared to cut wood. The only solution is to buy another chain or buy a file and learn how to use it.

Spike,

It's all about convenience. If they really care, they'd have more than one chain. Why do people spend $1.35 for a Coke and $1.29 for a small bag of chips? Convenience. Have a exCHAINge on their saw in 3 minutes, collect 7 washingtons and everyone wins.

Oh, Spike. The "unprepared's" money spends just a big as the "prepared's" money.

Joat

Last edited:
I do the exchange thing all the time Joat. I get a man that wants his chain sharpened on the spot, he and I have an exchange, he buys a new one, I do the dull one after he leaves, sometimes within 5 minutes after he leaves,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Joat as you know I love that movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou. Remember that one scene where that preacher, Big Dan T, took them boys out in the field to have lunch. He wound up smacking both with a big tree limb and stole all their money. He said quote "its all about the money boys".

Using that frame of mind when a man only has one chain he must be thinking its about the money as to why he only has one. That said I'm thinking its time for that cat to spend some money. So in all its just like Big Dan T said, its all about the money boys,LOLOLOLOL

Tommie,

I see your point. No sense getting $7 for an exCHAINge when you can lure 'em to the open field behind the store, take a 2X4 to their heads and rob 'em.

As scene from the new Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Tommie: Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

Customer: Lying here bloodly and beaten in the open field behind your store with a 2x4 inflicked head wound. Why do you ask?

Guess I forgot the "Leesburg rules",

Joat

Last edited:
Joat check this out

Heres a goodie that happened this past Saturday Joat that proves once again its all about the money. Had a real nice older lady call me on the phone asking about a BR600 blower for her hubby, a Christmas gift.

She brought up a mans name that told her to call me for he had bought a
BR600 from me and I treated him good. I told her well I'm glad he was happy. She goes oh he said they are great blowers. I go yes, they are pretty good.

She proceeds to ask what they cost. I told her they list for 489.95. She goes oh as if to say thats alot of money. She goes well is that a set price or can you do any better. I asked welp lets put it this way, are you buying it today. She said she would. I said ok, bring me 459.95 and your hubby will be very happy this Christmas. She goes I'm on my way.

I get a call from the showroom, theres a lady up here wanting a backpack blower. I get up there and sure enuff its her. She is kinda upset. She says you told me on the phone this blower lists for 489.95. I said thats correct. She goes well the tag on the blower says 479.95. I said yup thats correct. I informed her Stihl raised prices OCT 1 and beings I bought these blowers before the price increase I left them at 479.95. I said alot of dealers would have raised their price on their stock that they bought before the increase but we aren't going to do that.

Now comes the good part. She goes well I thought I was getting 30.00 off. I said you are considering everywhere else that blower is being sold for 489.95.
She goes well your very honest but can I get it for 449.95 since your still selling them at the old price. I politely told her NO. She grinned and bought the blower.

When I got her registration card done I told her hold on a second. I went into Stihl e-sales and brought up that blower showing the exact list price of 489.95. I printed and gave it to her to make sure she knows I wasn't pulling one over on her. She left happy as a lark.

See Joat, she was all about the money,LOL

Tommie,

I see your point. No sense getting $7 for an exCHAINge when you can lure 'em to the open field behind the store, take a 2X4 to their heads and rob 'em.

As scene from the new Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

Tommie: Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

Customer: Lying here bloodly and beaten in the open field behind your store with a 2x4 inflicked head wound. Why do you ask?

Guess I forgot the "Leesburg rules",

Joat

LOL. Joat I'm just looking out for those poor souls and knowing how happy they will be with that new chain. They will put that chain in the wood and go oh my this saw cuts great, I'm glad now I did buy this chain.

My only drawback is they will dull it and this time I will have to give them their sharpened chain they left behind. I'm still working on how to makem buy 2 extra chains,hahahaha

Heres a goodie that happened this past Saturday Joat that proves once again its all about the money. Had a real nice older lady call me on the phone asking about a BR600 blower for her hubby, a Christmas gift.

She brought up a mans name that told her to call me for he had bought a
BR600 from me and I treated him good. I told her well I'm glad he was happy. She goes oh he said they are great blowers. I go yes, they are pretty good.

She proceeds to ask what they cost. I told her they list for 489.95. She goes oh as if to say thats alot of money. She goes well is that a set price or can you do any better. I asked welp lets put it this way, are you buying it today. She said she would. I said ok, bring me 459.95 and your hubby will be very happy this Christmas. She goes I'm on my way.

I get a call from the showroom, theres a lady up here wanting a backpack blower. I get up there and sure enuff its her. She is kinda upset. She says you told me on the phone this blower lists for 489.95. I said thats correct. She goes well the tag on the blower says 479.95. I said yup thats correct. I informed her Stihl raised prices OCT 1 and beings I bought these blowers before the price increase I left them at 479.95. I said alot of dealers would have raised their price on their stock that they bought before the increase but we aren't going to do that.

Now comes the good part. She goes well I thought I was getting 30.00 off. I said you are considering everywhere else that blower is being sold for 489.95.
She goes well your very honest but can I get it for 449.95 since your still selling them at the old price. I politely told her NO. She grinned and bought the blower.

When I got her registration card done I told her hold on a second. I went into Stihl e-sales and brought up that blower showing the exact list price of 489.95. I printed and gave it to her to make sure she knows I wasn't pulling one over on her. She left happy as a lark.

See Joat, she was all about the money,LOL

Brother Tommie,

I agree with you and your "it's all about the money" deal. After all, you're a Stihl dealer.

Riddle me this Folger's breath. Where do you make more money.

Situation 1: Man comes in every three years because saw make fine sawdust. Ole Tommie says, "H_ll, I can't sharpen that thing now. Getcherself a new chain. That'll be $29.95.

Situation 2: Man comes in every year at start of cutting season for an exCHAINge tuneup. Leaves in 3 minutes and 7 dollars shorter with a saw that cuts good. Tells his neighbors. Tells wife how good it cuts and asks her to mark the date on calendar so he remembers to take it in next year at the same time.

Tommie, it's all about the money. Short of pullin' the 2X4 trick, where will you make more money?

Joat

Wanna see how farmers tear up equipment? Come over to Frederick Co. and see the damage done to a JD combine my buddy's fixin'....Done by members of the Hispanic community.

Brother Tommie,

I agree with you and your "it's all about the money" deal. After all, you're a Stihl dealer.

Riddle me this Folger's breath. Where do you make more money.

Situation 1: Man comes in every three years because saw make fine sawdust. Ole Tommie says, "H_ll, I can't sharpen that thing now. Getcherself a new chain. That'll be $29.95.

Situation 2: Man comes in every year at start of cutting season for an exCHAINge tuneup. Leaves in 3 minutes and 7 dollars shorter with a saw that cuts good. Tells his neighbors. Tells wife how good it cuts and asks her to mark the date on calendar so he remembers to take it in next year at the same time.

Tommie, it's all about the money. Short of pullin' the 2X4 trick, where will you make more money?

Joat

Welp Joat I must admit your idea sounds promising. However I can't think of anyone that exchanges chains. That would make me have to look these chains over real good. Man brings me a chain that beyond sharpening and wants an exchange, no can do. He goes but your sign says you exchange chains. Now we gotta a problem. I would say chains yes, junk no. Whatcha think Joat??

Roland,

Hard to believe, but ole Tommie was cuttin' this lady a little slack.

Old list of BR600 = $479.95

New list of BR600 = $489.95

Tommie left old hang tag at $479.95 on his BR600's.

Tommie said over the phone he'd sell for $459.95.

Maybe the transatlantic internet line is leaking again.

Joat

No typo. I gave her 20.00 off my old list of 479.95 which made it 459.95. New list is 489.95 which is what I told her on the phone. She thought 459.95 from 489.95 saves me 30.00. When she saw the tag at 479.95 she thinks I'm only saving 20.00 and in a way she is right. Thing is everywhere else she went she would have saw 489.95 on that blower. Thats why said she your very honest.

Belgian you wouldn't jack prices up on old stock you paid less for would you,hehe

Last edited:
Welp Joat I must admit your idea sounds promising. However I can't think of anyone that exchanges chains. That would make me have to look these chains over real good. Man brings me a chain that beyond sharpening and wants an exchange, no can do. He goes but your sign says you exchange chains. Now we gotta a problem. I would say chains yes, junk no. Whatcha think Joat??

Tommie,

If that man with the bad chain has used your services for years, put on another chain and grin. Remember, he comes in every year. That means he's buying 2-stoke and bar oil from you instead of Lows. (Oh crap, now Gary's gonna join this thread!) He'll probably buy a hat every other trip. He'll bring his son in and he'll be indoctinated.

You and Hoss could always go through the woods and gather your discarded chains to add to the collection.

Just remember the slogan from your bracelet, "What would Elvis do?"

Joat

Last edited:
Roland,

Hard to believe, but ole Tommie was cuttin' this lady a little slack.

Old list of BR600 = $479.95

New list of BR600 = $489.95

Tommie left old hang tag at $479.95 on his BR600's.

Tommie said over the phone he'd sell for $459.95.

Maybe the transatlantic internet line is leaking again.

Joat

And she still tried to get me for another 10.00, why that ole ninny, how dare her do such a thing,LOL

Tommie,

If that man with the bad chain has used your services for years, put on another chain and grin. Remember, he comes in every year. That means he buying 2-stoke and bar oil from you instead of Lows. (Oh crap, now Gary's gonna join this thread!) He'll probably buy a hat every other trip. He'll bring his son in and he'll be indoctinated.

You and Hoss could always go through the woods and gather your discarded chains to add to the collection.

Just remember the slogan from your bracelet, "What would Elvis do?"

Joat

TCB baby, taking care of business. I'll have to ponder on your idea, it does sound promising I must admit. If my chain sales go down from $50,000 a year to $200.00 I'm coming to see you Joat,LOL

TCB baby, taking care of business. I'll have to ponder on your idea, it does sound promising I must admit. If my chain sales go down from $50,000 a year to $200.00 I'm coming to see you Joat,LOL

Tommie,

Bring it on! Don't forget to bring your 2X4.

Joat

Back