One saw, one chain solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
solution is to buy a 100ft roll of your most popular size chain.
then continue to buy loops of lower consumption chains.

30+ loops, sharpened and ready to go. mostly 3/8 .050 square grind full comp, since most of my bars are under 25in.

mr. hall,
i was thinking of making up my own loops. i don't own a spinner, so i was wondering if aluminum pop rivets would work?
thanks,
volks-man

Last edited:
100ft roll of 3/8 .63 RSC 3621 000 1640 £452 $632 you guys could buy a 361 for that!
Fair enough there would be a bit of discount and 15% vat off of that if you were vat registerd.

Can I imagine backwards installation would come free-of-charge, too?

LOL, free my azz, for you triple baby. Hey look Woodie. I got the grinder here at the house all ready for your chains. I can't wait to turn em all blue,hahaha That grinder is 25 yrs old and I bet I haven't used it over 2 hours in 25 years. To hell with sharpening chains, pain in the azz, give me a new one. I hate sharpening chains so man bring me your chains, I need to loosen that ole grinder up abit and burn your chains in the same process,LOLOL

attachment.php

mr. hall,
i was thinking of making up my own loops. i don't own a spinner, so i was wondering if aluminum pop rivets would work?
thanks,
volks-man

Sure they will. Just buy your loops somewhere else,haha

Don't try it, even Woodie would know better than that, I think,:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Sure they will. Just buy your loops somewhere else,haha

Don't try it, even Woodie would know better than that, I think,:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

well, i see no alternative. whats a guy to do? pay the full list on 4 or less, or still let you make money on me with the 5 or more deal.

if you need me i'll be in the garage looking for my pop rivet gun.:dizzy:

well, i see no alternative. whats a guy to do? pay the full list on 4 or less, or still let you make money on me with the 5 or more deal.

if you need me i'll be in the garage looking for my pop rivet gun.:dizzy:

I knew I shouldn't have said that, ya drive a hard bargin, you win. 4 it is. See how easy that was, I'm not hard to deal with. Hows the bar on your saw, bout time for a new one isn't it,hmmmmmmmmmm

I knew I shouldn't have said that, ya drive a hard bargin, you win. 4 it is. See how easy that was, I'm not hard to deal with. Hows the bar on your saw, bout time for a new one isn't it,hmmmmmmmmmm

i was kidding about the rivets....

but, i will remind you that you talked me out of a new 18" bar and chain(s) and 8 pin sprocket while i was there.

was that an off day?;)

No way do I sharpen while-you-wait. For one thing, it's almost certain that someone else will call or come in while I'm doing it. Plus, that will just spoil people. They will think they can get a walk in shapening any time they want. And then a time will come when your too busy to do it, and they get pissed. It's best to set your own boundaries and stick to them.

I think most people that want it done immediately are really more interested in not having to make a return trip to pick it up. Few of them are in any kind of urgent situation where they have to finish a job. If it's really urgent, then buy a freaking chain! Most of my chains are only $17 to $20. And if they want me to "throw it on" I charge $5.

If someone I don't know drops off a chain, they pay up front. That way, I get paid whether or not they ever come to pick it up. Chains that hang around too long get used around the shop or given away to someone who could use them.

+1

Awww grasshopper you have spent too much time trying to save a penny. In doing so ya eyes must have gone bad as well, lookie what I said:

"I'm not kiddng, they had been sharpened so far back there wasn't hardly any of the cutters left".

Ya with me, as in a bunch of the cutters were gone. What remained were little 1/8 inch cutters like your talking about, the kind that do what in hardwood, break off,LOL

No I wasn't joking about fried saws due to bad chains. Didn't I just tell ya I had two 260's come in with shot chains and both had fried the cylinders,LOL Ya think maybe constant over reving from not cutting may have caused that, seemed pretty obvious to me considering both were running just weeks before.

Far as filing, you file your chain everytime you refuel ya say, that tells me right there them ole sharpened chains don't last like a new one do they, your filing and me, hell I'm still rolling right along, tank after tank with that new chain,hehe

I wouldn't be part of your crew being allowed one spare chain, hell if that dayumm cheap you probably don't pay em squat either and no I'm not joking on that either,:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Having run the workshop at the local Dolmar / Husky dealers for over 8 years I will agree that a lot of saws are damaged by dull or totally blunt chains, over heating clutch, burnt out engines you can usually tell as soon as you see the casing full of sawdust.lol

You never said half the cutters were missing just filed back.If I have a customer that aint to proud to admit that he cant sharpen their own chain I take them in the workshop and give them a quick demo of how to file a chain. Its usually farmers not forestry workers that struggle,but most wont admit they dont no how!

It takes no time (less than changing a chain)to touch up a chain every tank or 2 and you have a razor sharp chain (usually sharper than a brand new stilhl loop straight from the box,yes I only run stihl or oregon chain the only difference is the stihl cost more) and you need a sharp chain when cutting oak all day!
Advantages
dont have to carry 6 chains just a file
Have a sharp chain for every cut
When I get home I want to sit down not spent 1/2 hour in workshop sharpening 6 chains and digging out all that sawdust that clogs up your saw!

And just for the record I didnt run the crew just worked with a good bunch of cutters.Over here it was all self employed piecework getting a couple of $ a tree , you supply your own saw, fuel, oil, chains files and anything else you might need so you make things last.
Most guys just learn to file there chains well and have no need to walk around with a pocket full of chains.
:popcorn:

Having run the workshop at the local Dolmar / Husky dealers for over 8 years I will agree that a lot of saws are damaged by dull or totally blunt chains, over heating clutch, burnt out engines you can usually tell as soon as you see the casing full of sawdust.lol

You never said half the cutters were missing just filed back.If I have a customer that aint to proud to admit that he cant sharpen their own chain I take them in the workshop and give them a quick demo of how to file a chain. Its usually farmers not forestry workers that struggle,but most wont admit they dont no how!

It takes no time (less than changing a chain)to touch up a chain every tank or 2 and you have a razor sharp chain (usually sharper than a brand new stilhl loop straight from the box,yes I only run stihl or oregon chain the only difference is the stihl cost more) and you need a sharp chain when cutting oak all day!
Advantages
dont have to carry 6 chains just a file
Have a sharp chain for every cut
When I get home I want to sit down not spent 1/2 hour in workshop sharpening 6 chains and digging out all that sawdust that clogs up your saw!

And just for the record I didnt run the crew just worked with a good bunch of cutters.Over here it was all self employed piecework getting a couple of $ a tree , you supply your own saw, fuel, oil, chains files and anything else you might need so you make things last.
Most guys just learn to file there chains well and have no need to walk around with a pocket full of chains.
:popcorn:

Welp then a misunderstanding. I meant filed back so far alot of the cutters were gone. What cutters that were still on the chain were so short its a wonder they hadn't snapped off as well. I never seen saws with chains as bad as the two 260's that man brought in.

From what I found out yesterday, how much chains cost where you are, I don't blame you for filing that chain. I had no idea they cost that much overthere.

I'll be the first to admit the average cutter doesn't need 20 plus chains but having a few spares sure won't break his piggie bank.:cheers: :cheers:

True we all would have a couple of extras in the car you never now when you are going to hit a nice bit of quartz grown into a tree,that really makes your day.
You wouldn't believe the state of some chains that I see and then the customer is saying the saw is cr*p because its burnt out the clutch.
But having spent 30 odd years hand filing I now have people asking if I can hand sharpen their loops as they cut better than off the grinder.Dont get me wrong I still use the grinder to get the cutters back into shape before filing or with some I would be there all day.
I dont get the pricing over here it works out at $16 for a 15" loop of oregon but the same in Stihl is near $22 I dont no what Baileys charge for shipping but it might just be cheaper for me to ship from the states.Lol
It was alright when I was working for the dealer (should have stock piled a few more)but I am having to pay the same in £s per roll as Baileys charge in $s.
Now I work for myself its hard these days, trying to get money out of some local farmers is worse than getting blood from a stone

my sentiments exactly.... for round chain never saw a need for a grinder, unless chain hit a rock or something. my hand filed chain cut good as a machine ground one. actually better... because my tooth never lost their temper.... and last 10x longer as compared to losing a major chunk of tooth anytime chain was sent out for grinding.

on top of all that... it was faster to spend 2-3 minutes tickling all the teeth. then to change out to a new chain.

Square chain changed all that for me... a 30% increase in cutting speed meant changing my routine to having lots of spare loops around. now I'll change out loops when chain gets the least little bit dull.

But having spent 30 odd years hand filing I now have people asking if I can hand sharpen their loops as they cut better than off the grinder.Dont get me wrong I still use the grinder to get the cutters back into shape before filing or with some I would be there all day.

Well, I have a nice little story to add to this thread.

Guy came in a little while ago looking for an air filter for a Poulan. He had no information on the Poulan, but I'm not a Poulan dealer anyway. His only information was that he thought there was a Husky that used the same filter. He didn't know the model Husky that he was talking about either. But he said he "would know it if I saw it". So, I told him that I didn't have time to go through the parts cabinet and look at all the filters until he recognized one. Gave me a dopey look and asked how many filters Husky had. Dozens, I answered. He just stared at me tapping his keys on the counter, then he left. Another customer was watching and asked, "How often you get one of those?" "Just about every freaking day." :cheers:

Well, I have a nice little story to add to this thread.

Guy came in a little while ago looking for an air filter for a Poulan. He had no information on the Poulan, but I'm not a Poulan dealer anyway. His only information was that he thought there was a Husky that used the same filter. He didn't know the model Husky that he was talking about either. But he said he "would know it if I saw it". So, I told him that I didn't have time to go through the parts cabinet and look at all the filters until he recognized one. Gave me a dopey look and asked how many filters Husky had. Dozens, I answered. He just stared at me tapping his keys on the counter, then he left. Another customer was watching and asked, "How often you get one of those?" "Just about every freaking day." :cheers:

LOLOLOLOL, good one. Spike remember me talking about that blower I sold that lady Saturday for 459.95. Welp this morning I get a call from another lady telling me you sold a blower to my friend a few days ago and you gave her 30.00 off list. I said yeah I sure did, I sold her a BR600 for 459.95, they list for 489.95. She goes thats right, can I get the same deal, I said why you sure can.

20 minutes I get a call from the showroom, lady up here wants a blower. I go up and sure enuff its the lady. She goes is that the blower. I said its the same blower your friend bought. Guess what she starts staring at that 479.95 price tag on it and she's pondering. I'm like not again,LOL

I don't know whether to go ahead and up the price to list or keep having fun with these people,LOLOLOL

Just had a call from a local guy tonight asked if i would look at his stihl for him
so I ask what seems to be the problem
he replies no problem it runs great one of the best saws I have ever owned
so why do you want me to have a look at it I ask?
Well it ran great but it just wont start now........
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back