One saw, one chain solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. Friday I had a man bring in two 260Pros. He goes neither one runs but they both ran a few weeks ago. I look at em and think what the f-ck, look at those chains. I'm not kiddng, they had been sharpened so far back there wasn't hardly any of the cutters left.

I said hold on a second, let me check something here. I pulled the muffler covers on both and bingo, both fried, scored bigtime. He goes how can that be, they were running a few weeks ago. I said look at the chains. He flipped out. He has guys working for him and didn't notice the chains on these saws.
He goes them sumabi-ches, they ruined both of these saws. I said well now hold on, they can be repaired. I give him a price for both and he says well I'll have to see what the farm owner says. We may just get new saws. I said get spare chains too,LOLOLOL

You have got to be joking right?:censored: I have never seen an engine damaged from a chain being filed back.I will put a couple of strokes on each tooth every time I refuel,cutting 8 hours a day a chain will last 10 days or so,the chain is only thrown away when there is nothing left to file!:greenchainsaw: A chain will cut as good with 1/8" of tooth as a new chain will if filed correctly.Maybe that after hours class is not such a bad idea:greenchainsaw:
1 chain on the saw and 1 as a spare in case you hit something big is all I and all my cutting crew have ever carried.Not good for the dealers but good on the pocket.(chains are near double the price over here!):popcorn:

Shops take notice. I've figured out a way to put a end to those people that have one saw, one chain and want it sharpened on the spot. These poeple for whatever reason think having a spare chain is insane. I'm going to show these kind folks its ok to have a spare chain or two or three.

These pics will be hung on the shop wall this week. I can't wait for my first victim to ask me can you sharpen my chain right now, its the only one I got. The answer is going to be hell no, buy a chain and then I'll point these pics out to them so they will know its ok to buy a chain. This should be fun and a solution as well..

Fess-up, fool...how many of them have blued cutters??

(Answer...All of 'em!!)

No typo. I gave her 20.00 off my old list of 479.95 which made it 459.95. New list is 489.95 which is what I told her on the phone. She thought 459.95 from 489.95 saves me 30.00. When she saw the tag at 479.95 she thinks I'm only saving 20.00 and in a way she is right. Thing is everywhere else she went she would have saw 489.95 on that blower. Thats why said she your very honest.

Belgian you wouldn't jack prices up on old stock you paid less for would you,hehe

hmmmm, some communication got lost somewhere in the bermuda triangle :) . For a second I thought you sold it at 479,95 $... knowing low life salesman like you, that would be a lil surprise, but one never knows...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :bowdown:

Thall you wouldnt like me I haggle all the time and it works great.
But your right I get a price and nip to the other dealer just to see if they will come down:)

I usually order my Stihl chains on ebay at about half what the dealer wants.

You have got to be joking right?:censored: I have never seen an engine damaged from a chain being filed back.I will put a couple of strokes on each tooth every time I refuel,cutting 8 hours a day a chain will last 10 days or so,the chain is only thrown away when there is nothing left to file!:greenchainsaw: A chain will cut as good with 1/8" of tooth as a new chain will if filed correctly.Maybe that after hours class is not such a bad idea:greenchainsaw:
1 chain on the saw and 1 as a spare in case you hit something big is all I and all my cutting crew have ever carried.Not good for the dealers but good on the pocket.(chains are near double the price over here!):popcorn:

Awww grasshopper you have spent too much time trying to save a penny. In doing so ya eyes must have gone bad as well, lookie what I said:

"I'm not kiddng, they had been sharpened so far back there wasn't hardly any of the cutters left".

Ya with me, as in a bunch of the cutters were gone. What remained were little 1/8 inch cutters like your talking about, the kind that do what in hardwood, break off,LOL

No I wasn't joking about fried saws due to bad chains. Didn't I just tell ya I had two 260's come in with shot chains and both had fried the cylinders,LOL Ya think maybe constant over reving from not cutting may have caused that, seemed pretty obvious to me considering both were running just weeks before.

Far as filing, you file your chain everytime you refuel ya say, that tells me right there them ole sharpened chains don't last like a new one do they, your filing and me, hell I'm still rolling right along, tank after tank with that new chain,hehe

I wouldn't be part of your crew being allowed one spare chain, hell if that dayumm cheap you probably don't pay em squat either and no I'm not joking on that either,:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Fess-up, fool...how many of them have blued cutters??

(Answer...All of 'em!!)

Woodie did someone blue your chains, hahahaha, shoulda brought em on down to me, I'd show you how to bounce the grinder and get that nice shiny cutter your looking for with that razor edge. Then again since its you, I would burn them babies black,LOLOLOLOLOL

hmmmm, some communication got lost somewhere in the bermuda triangle :) . For a second I thought you sold it at 479,95 $... knowing low life salesman like you, that would be a lil surprise, but one never knows...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :bowdown:

Its ok Begian, hell she was as puzzled as you, I had to explain it to her twice and she still tried to swindle another 10.00 out of me,haha

Thall you wouldnt like me I haggle all the time and it works great.
But your right I get a price and nip to the other dealer just to see if they will come down:)

I usually order my Stihl chains on ebay at about half what the dealer wants.

Awww hell I don't mind haggling. In fact its really fun. Your trying to swindle me out of my profit and I'm trying to figure out a way to get it back without you knowing it.

Here's something you may like. I sell Stihl chains at Stihl list price like most all dealers. If you buy 5 I'll give ya 30% off each and not think twice about it. Thats a pretty good deal isn't it and guess what, I haven't really given you anything at all. Lakeside can tell ya why,LOL

Awww hell I don't mind haggling. In fact its really fun. Your trying to swindle me out of my profit and I'm trying to figure out a way to get it back without you knowing it.

Here's something you may like. I sell Stihl chains at Stihl list price like most all dealers. If you buy 5 I'll give ya 30% off each and not think twice about it. Thats a pretty good deal isn't it and guess what, I haven't really given you anything at all. Lakeside can tell ya why,LOL

From what i see your chains are half the price that they are in the UK
3/8 .63 3621 003 0066 18" for a 361 list here is £25.85 $37.22
I get them delivered for £15 $21

Thats at $1.40 to £1 it was $2 for £1 a couple of months ago!

Last edited:
I didn't know you worked for my dealer!!! :)

Don't know whatcha talking about,hehe.

If you wanna have some fun at a saw dealer heres whatcha do. Go in there and drive the hardest bargin you can. Stand firm and don't give up till that salesman gets so fed up he gives you your discount just to get you out the building. Once your all said and done you tell him, ya know what buddy, I woulda paid full price all along, I just wanted to try ya. Be prepared to duck and run,:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

From what i see your chains are half the price that they are in the UK
3/8 .63 3621 003 0066 18" for a 361 list here is £25.85 $37.22
I get them delivered for £15 $21

Wow. Maybe that other feller talking about filing has a good point then. I didn't know they cost that much overthere.

You guys are paying dearly for chains, how much does a saw cost overthere??

Wow. Maybe that other feller talking about filing has a good point then. I didn't know they cost that much overthere.

You guys are paying dearly for chains, how much does a saw cost overthere??

ms290 18" £517
ms361 18" £716 if you haggle that comes down to about £600 $840 but that would have been $1200 in the summer, It would have been worthwhile importing a saw before but not now.

Hell PM me your address and i will post you a UK catalog when they come out.

ms290 18" £517
ms361 18" £716 if you haggle that comes down to about £600 $840 but that would have been $1200 in the summer, It would have been worthwhile importing a saw before but not now.

Hell PM me your address and i will post you a UK catalog when they come out.

Wow, no wonder Sawtroll said saws in the US were the cheapest. Man thats a helluva differance in price. Hold onto that catalog, man I don't think I could stand seeing those prices in print, yikesssssssssssss..

Wow, no wonder Sawtroll said saws in the US were the cheapest. Man thats a helluva differance in price. Hold onto that catalog, man I don't think I could stand seeing those prices in print, yikesssssssssssss..

LOL I paid £26 for a carb kit for a 036 and that was in the summer so $52:)

Latest posts

Back