One saw plan: cc's, length & weight suggestions please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best "all around/Do all/One saw plan" has got to be 60cc saw with a 20" bar. ;)

....... you can thank me later. :laugh:
:cheers:

Jay,

You do relaize that you'll end up with more than one saw, right?

List A
Dolmar 7300, 7900
Stihl 440, 441, 460
Husky 372XP, 372XPW, 576XP

List B
Dolmar 5100
Stihl 260
Husky 346XP

Pick a saw from List A, or List B.

Then, in a few months, come back and pick a saw from the other list.

Next, get your "wall of bars" organized properly and we'll talk about the third saw.

Call my pretty nurse if you need further consulation,

dr. joat

I agree, I went with a 60 cc saw as a 1 saw plan wich works ok buuut, in reality 60 cc is to heavy for the light work and to light for the heavy work.

ive been thinkn more on this and think the 260 or any other 10.5 lb 50cc would be the best choice. then add a 70cc ounce the little 260 becomes overworked and the operator gets cad.

not long ago i had no saws. i now have two running 70cc saws, 2 projects 70cc saws, a 026 and 359 and parts 024

i would leave the 60cc saw out if i could go back and do it again.

I agree, I went with a 60 cc saw as a 1 saw plan wich works ok buuut, in reality 60 cc is to heavy for the light work and to light for the heavy work.

I don't think anybody is gonna dispute the supremacy of the 50cc/70cc two saw plan but to put it in your own words.

A 70cc saw is to heavy for the light work and a 50cc saw is to light for the heavy work. :)

The 60cc saw is just a little less of both. ;)

Not ideal but it is THE one saw plan....... IMO. :D

Now if the OP pipes up and says everything he cuts is 24+ inches.... I'm right on board with the 70cc plan. If he chimes in with 18" and under?......... I'm all over that 50cc thing, but for the average guy needing to cut firewood and clean up around the farm/house cutting what ever may come??.......60cc's is it.

ive been thinkn more on this and think the 260 or any other 10.5 lb 50cc would be the best choice. then add a 70cc ounce the little 260 becomes overworked and the operator gets cad.

not long ago i had no saws. i now have two running 70cc saws, 2 projects 70cc saws, a 026 and 359 and parts 024

i would leave the 60cc saw out if i could go back and do it again.

Yoy could always sell him your 359!

sure he can have it for 300 bucks. that about covers a 372xpw top end and shipping.

but my 359 isnt running latly

Sorry about the delay in getting back to your responses.

Majority of wood is about 8 - 16 inches in diameter, but I will cut up some that would be up to 20 -24 inches. However, right now I will not be cutting every day or even every week. I would also like to keep my options open (in a one saw plan) for the future.

Thanks, Jay.

Majority of wood is about 8 - 16 inches in diameter, but I will cut up some that would be up to 20 -24 inches. However, right now I will not be cutting every day or even every week. I would also like to keep my options open (in a one saw plan) for the future.

Thanks, Jay.

MS260 PRO!:chainsaw:

Thanks, Jay.

like Erick said, 60cc would be a dandy

I don't think anybody is gonna dispute the supremacy of the 50cc/70cc two saw plan but to put it in your own words.

A 70cc saw is to heavy for the light work and a 50cc saw is to light for the heavy work. :)

The 60cc saw is just a little less of both. ;)

Not ideal but it is THE one saw plan....... IMO. :D

Now if the OP pipes up and says everything he cuts is 24+ inches.... I'm right on board with the 70cc plan. If he chimes in with 18" and under?......... I'm all over that 50cc thing, but for the average guy needing to cut firewood and clean up around the farm/house cutting what ever may come??.......60cc's is it.

True, but when you do eventually buy more saws the 60 cc is kind of left in limbo, but then again if I never found this site I would be happy as a clam with my 359 as a all around saw, but then again it was this site that made me decide to step up to a pro grade saw in the first place. Wow did that make any sense? It's a vicious cycle:cheers:

Thanks, Jay.

Yep........ squarely in the 60cc saw category. :cheers:

True, but when you do eventually buy more saws the 60 cc is kind of left in limbo, but then again if I never found this site I would be happy as a clam with my 359 as a all around saw, but then again it was this site that made me decide to step up to a pro grade saw in the first place. Wow did that make any sense? It's a vicious cycle:cheers:

I agree but lets ass-u-me for a moment that it is possible for someone to just own.... man I can't even say it.... (gulp)"one saw".... for the OP's needs it would have to be a 60cc saw, there is no better option.

Assuming it's ONE saw, 60cc is the right choice. You can buck 12-16" hardwood all day and not be underpowered and you can limb all day without being overworked. You can't say the same for a 50 or 70cc one saw plan.

I agree but lets ass-u-me for a moment that it is possible for someone to just own.... man I can't even say it.... (gulp)"one saw".... for the OP's needs it would have to be a 60cc saw, there is no better option.

Ok i give,60 cc for a 1 saw plan. I really want a 346 and 372 or 2171 jony, I'm trying to find ways to justify it, cause I don't really need either.

attachment.php

i love this combo, if i didnt have cad i would have stopped right here

A ported 359, 357, 360, or 361 would be a good one saw plan. Zippy and light for the limbs and can run a 25" if needed.

Personally, I'd get a 026/260 and 044/440.:dizzy:

Back