One use for old bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This may already be on this site some where,
but it worked so well for me I thought I would post
some pics.

When cutting and the chain gets dull or I rock it
I just put on another chain, then to sharpen
the dull chain it has to go back on the saw (If you don't have a grinder)
or some other way. By using a old or extra bar you can
leave the good chain on the saw, and keep the filings out
of your good bar. If you scrounge a old bar try to find
one as short as your shortest bar. I have .375X.063
on my bigger saws so this works good for me.

In the pic you will see the screw, washer & nut, don't
tighten the screw tight, so the nut will turn like the sprocket
dose. I put one screw where the adjuster goes and a clamp
at the front. There is many ways you can do this, this
was just fast and easy for me, about 5 min. or less.

Hope this helps some one.

Gary
------------------------------------------------------
MS660 066 MS460 MS361 MS200T 335XPT

Excellent idea!! I am actually going to go get an old junk bar from a dealer and make one up. I just sharpened 5 chains yesterday and had to install each one on the saw to do so. What a pain in the butt.

Thanks, Guys I'm glad you like it.
I'm going to find a 16" bar, drill it and a piece of angel
iron, bolt them together, I can then clamp it to the bench top,
then just take it off when not in use

Gary
------------------------------------------------------
MS660 066 MS460 MS361 MS200T 335XPT

It is nice to see someone has some enginuity. Way to post something creative and worth-while. Thanks :pumpkin2:

Josh

Love it!! I have a small bar vise on one of my benches, now I have a use for some of ma old steel! Think I might add a place to hook a small bungycord on the lower end to keep some tension on the chain whilst filing, hm, maybe a piece of flat, slotted steel wit a hook on the end and a bolt/ wingnut set up for good adjustable tension under da vise? dunno yet (I generally use me old Sharp n'Gauge for sharpening, never let me down lol, a great cheap tool).

:cheers: :D

Last edited:
Great!
Thanks for the pictures, I've been wanting to make something like this for a while, putting all the old chains on the saw every time is getting to be a pain.
I'm sure we can figure out a way to make it tight enough for hand filing.
Thanks again for sharing, that's what I like about this site:biggrinbounce2:

How about drilling the bar

and taking a piece of music wire.Basically hardened steel wire. or number 9 wire. making two 90 degree bends in it with about inch on all three legs.one of the legs will push through the bar and the top leg can be placed behind a cutter on the chain, sort of like a canteleiver.,so it won't push back.Then swing the wire up to advance the chain.. then push the chain back against this removable stop.
Am I making any sense.? I have it all pictured.. but am terrible at describing my vision. if anyone can understand my thinking feel free to draw it up.

SteveH said:
Slick. For tightening the chain, perhaps a worn-out sprocket in a slotted hole and a bolt/wing nut to tighten the sprocket??? Maybe.
good idea on top of a good idea!! add a hand crank to the sprocket to advance the chain and just lean up against the hand crank for the chain brake.

Just my opinion, I would spend $30 or so for a clamp on file guide before I done allot of work on this, But if you have the time it mite be fun to make.
I would use the worn out sprocket and bearing, two each if for different
bar lengths. the second would be an idler sprocket with different
mounting holes. I would use the bar mounting slot with 2 bolts or
one u-bolt, weld or clamp a tapped block of steel or angel iron
at the front of the bar for the adjuster. if only using it for
one length of chain all the time delete the idler .

Sorry about the grammar & the curd drawing in the pic

Gary

I just put my dull chain on an old, beat up 14" bar, throw 'em both in my bench vise, hang a weighton a bungy cord off the hanging chain loop and proceed to file away. After sharpening all the teeth on top of the bar I pick up on bungy cord, spin the chain to the next section to sharpen then set the weight again. This puts the setup a perfect working hieght to sharpen my chains from my bar stool:cheers: , definitely better than the tailgate or stump method. Low-tech and simple but it works. The sprocket with the hand crank/brake ideas sound good though, may explore them some rainy, chainsaw maintenance day.

Back