Opinion on Hutzl/FarmTec aftermarket parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwatkin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was unaware of these parts until posting here about my Stihl MS-250 going into a suicidal runaway mode and locking up. I need a new engine which can be bought here for $26. I also need a new saw body as the bar nut studs were ripped out in an earlier incident. That part with the studs included is $13. So, for less than $50 I could possibly bring this old saw back to life. It went through lots of use and abuse so consider it to have given me a good useful life and am not upset with service it provided. Some on the other thread also say it is time to let the old saw go. I would plan to buy a new MS-250 and strip all the worthwhile parts from the old one before sending the hulk off as scrap metal with my next load.

Opinions about the aftermarket stuff rate from total junk to "decent, especially for a backup saw but not OEM quality". This would be the purpose of the saw if I kept it. It would not be a primary I count on. Now that being said, $50 is $50 and I don't want to spend it on junk. I repair computers for a living and commonly see the results of people using cheap aftermarket parts from China. Laptop power adapters are the prime example. Let's say the dog eats the original. They replace it with a $10-20 cheapo off eBay or Amazon when the OEM costs somewhere in the $75-100 range. Then the battery won't charge, performance suffers, and and they even fry the motherboard at times, rendering the laptop economically unrepairable. You hold an original charger next to one of these cheapos and it weighs like 3x as much. My main concern is that the aftermarket stuff will just be wasted money and not return the saw to working service.

Any opinions about these aftermarket parts? Will they get the saw working again and if so, how long should I expect them to last? I mean $26 for a complete engine seems too good to be true much like the laptop chargers I commonly see.

Who here has actually had EXPERIENCE using these parts? If so, how did they work out? I can see certain parts like housings and covers being less critical than mechanical parts like complete engines.

Conor

I have experiance with AM parts.

It sounds like you already know the answear to the questions you are asking anyway.

To be honest, most of that stuff, at least motor parts to me are junk. I don't have time for that stuff. Now plastic parts are plastic parts, rubber parts I have seen some good, some not so good.

I would suggest if you are going to try these parts to get a hold of Definitive Dave as he has had stuff tested and knows what may be serviceable and what isn't worth it.

Highly variable quality in my experience. I haven't bought any piston and cylinder kits from them, but the oil pumps, carburetors and plastics I got from them were good fits and are holding up fine. Where they fall flat on their face, however, are starter assemblies, especially those for Honda engines.

I forgot I had these pictures of a Farmertec cylinder for a Poulan/Husky

Look at the intake flange of the new cylinder compared to the original. They can't even cast it right and catch a bad one before sending it out. Hard to see in this other picture but there are chips in the chrome plating of the bore straight out of the box..

I tried a AM piston and cylinder on a Stihl 441 as well and it didn't make it halfway through the first cut before it hung a ring in the exhaust port. Which reminds me, never buy from Northwoods saw either as they will not stand behind what they sell like most others will.

100_5344 (Custom).JPG 100_5357 (Custom).JPG

i would say their a mixed bag--

i built a ms440 from mostly china/flea-bay stuff about 4 or 5 years ago -- and it runs, starts and cuts pretty darn good-- seems like i had a clutch fail once cause a c-clip snapped-- it has the OEM 70cc size jug and is a strong runner. i've cut a lot of hardwoods with it and it is dependable and powerful ,at least so far.

i built a china copy of a 372XP -- now it is another story-- had to go through two or three jugs to find a decent one -- the china made 372XP carbs stink on ice, and the starter is a joke-- the flywheel, crankcase, and crankshaft are good-- and the gas tank . the other plastics fade quick and the seals and rubber stuff only time will tell.

i think it china parts may be OK provided you know when you got a keeper or a lemon-- china sells both--- china rubber parts sort of scare me--

Anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement jug and piston? I don't want to mess with the cheapo stuff and the local dealer has these on sale for $300 for the new saw. I am considering just going that route, stripping the old saw for parts, and sending it on its way.

I am going to pull the old saw apart first and see how the rod and crank, etc. look. I cannot get the engine to budge so it is really locked up hard. Several have told me to send this one on its way and that may be the best advice rather than throwing good money after bad to do this experiment with cheap parts that won't work.

Conor

what type make of saw is it?

BTW on my 372XP china clone-- since i have had a little more time to work out the bugs-- it is a strong runner-- and is now reliable.

the only real question left on china made parts really is how long the plating on the cylinders will last.

\lately i have been running 50 to one mix in the china doll 372-- so far no difficulties-- i'm about to put the china doll 372xp in the 'good saw" rack--

Back