Opinions on firewood holders with delivery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking for a reasonably priced dumptruck but, everything around here seems to be priced just right for recent lottery winners and not so right for the working stiff, I always get leary of any finance contract that involves a physical. My backup plan is to just place ricks on my extra driveway and sell "as is where is" I live on a well traveled road that has an auction house on it, so bargain hunters are always swarming a couple times a month, that has worked on other items in the past and might keep my butt from being sued.

I haven't sold firewood for years. but I've given this some thought. I'd be inclined to do something like the wire basket idea promoted by the previous poster, or just regular shrink wrapped pallets with a pallet jack. Shrink wrap a measured volume of wood onto a regular pallet (much lower start up costs than a fleet of dollies, and more stable to boot), use a pallet jack with your lift gate truck. profit! No inventing your own technology, etc.

Kudos on figuring that handling the wood by hand numerous times is a huge cost item, and trying to control those costs by reducing handling times.

Best of luck!

I dont know about where you live, but you might want to consider one thing.The minute you print business cards, make a rack with your name and number on it, etc you have just driven a line between a guy making a buck and a full fledged business.Although Im a licensed tree service, I dont declare income from firewood. Applicable sales tax, income tax,license fees, osha requirements,and bookkeeping will make a serious dent.The only way to make money in selling firewood is two ways.Keep it small and sell to an established client base that know you and you know them,or go for it big time with a processor,skid steer, and a few grunts to help.
I know that pretty quick someone is going to come along and disagree,and thats okay,but in my experience I have found that I am better off known only as "that guy who sells wood" rather than a full fledged business.All it takes is one crabby jerk to report you and you are in for world of hurt when it comes to an audit.Just something to think about.

=====

But it's okay to advertise it on the WWW....:confused:

There is a liability factor with plastic wrapped firewood.

When the customer cuts the plastic off, to get the wood, the once contained product is now loose to fall on property, or person, and you get a phone call regarding that.

Wire baskets are nice, but its a different kind of stooping to get all the wood out, compared to the single row stacked along the garage wall.

Also, the single row along the garage wall allows for car doors to get opened, doesn't take much space.

Customer now has to dedicate space, and access to that firewood holder.

Granted, the customer that takes advantage of this type of approach is what you are after.

Pallet jacks on a snow covered driveway, even a little bit, plus any incline? A Toro Dingo would be a different approach, but that's another capital expense.

A few counties north of us, there was a guy selling crated wood, delivered into your garage with his skid loader. Lots of insurance required.

My brother said to just use the tovel lift that we use to set gabels, at 12 mph I might have to only deliver within a three mile radius. The bonus would be I could lift it and set it right on the chimney if someone wanted to "blackpowder load" their fireplace. Downside is it is illegal on road

Although Im a licensed tree service, I dont declare income from firewood. Applicable sales tax, income tax,license fees, osha requirements,and bookkeeping will make a serious dent.

Avalancher. We all know what you were meaning to say is that always declare all of your income from firewood and that you gladly pay all applicable local, state and federal taxes. You wish that you could pay more out of pocket to your legislative body and since you are so kind hearted you make a donation every week anonymously to the IRS so they can best help spend the surplus revenue you generate through your hard work. Also you conform to all of the osha standards and wish that your government would come up with more regulations for you to follow because you have made a hobby out of it and that you welcome more oversight from any agency looking out for your best interests.

Latest posts

Back