Opinions on the best commercial firewood saw lineup on an unlimited budget?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
360 a cord is just crazy money where I live. I would seriously consider selling wood here if that is the return.
Yeah, I sell seasoned hardwood for $130 a cord (u pick up). No money in it if I wasn't paid to cut it in the first place (tree removals)

Yeah, I sell seasoned hardwood for $130 a cord (u pick up). No money in it if I wasn't paid to cut it in the first place (tree removals)

That's about par for my area. I remember before I cut my own I was paying 80 a cord for locust. I would pay that just to go cut my owwn locust now.

I can make good money selling firewood by me. Saws are just a small portion of the business. A way of hauling large quantities of logs or rounds is the biggest problem I have. Right now I can haul about 2 cords of green oak at a time I do get 360 a cord once it is split and seasoned . But when the woods is 30 miles away it would be nice to haul more. I would buy a 70cc and a 90cc if your cutting big stuff. You will never touch the smaller saws once you have a 70 cc .it's nice to have longer bars so you don't have to bend over so much.

I know what you mean 361 is my smallest and I don't even want to use it I have a 10 and 12mm 044 and 440 046 and 660 I normally grab a 044-440 .

I like cutting too much to buy a processor. I really enjoy it and its not bad money no I don't get 360 a cord but the time it takes me to cut and split say a cord I don't do bad at all profit wise.

I would have 4 460's 2 with 20" bars two with 28" bars and a little fairy to file chains!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean 361 is my smallest and I don't even want to use it I have a 10 and 12mm 044 and 440 046 and 660 I normally grab a 044-440 .

I like cutting too much to buy a processor. I really enjoy it and its not bad money no I don't get 360 a cord but the time it takes me to cut and split say a cord I don't do bad at all profit wise.
And then haul it and stack it... my time is worth something.

I get 360 a cord for oak and hickory . And 20 or 25 delivery and I think I could get more. I could never see my self buying a processor . For one thing I have been cutting huge trees that would not fit in most. And I would need some big equipment to get those logs out of the woods and trucked home. Oak once cut and split is like money in the bank here. I know I will sell it and it won't go down in value. I am paying landowners more for trees than regular loggers will. I try to keep my overhead down and profit up. Plus I use a lot of a equipment we need on are farm anyway.

I live on a large farm with other large surrounding woods.......I have a lightweight cart for the quad that will fit almost as much a a longbed truck and the quads set up to pull then I split at night. As far as deliveries go I have 2 guys that run a large and small dump I don't go on deliveries I have a lot of people that pick it up ....I do no stacking. I charge the extra for deliver for wear and tear plus paying drivers.

And then haul it and stack it... my time is worth something.

I also have a track machine to skid large logs out deep in the woods. Then if need be I can hook multiple trees onto one of my big tractors and drag them back whole.

What kind of chains are you guys running? I have been using carbide but I find that they stretch out before needing sharpened.

:chop:What length bars do you normally run?
Never any longer than you need . I think ideal would be 24 on the 70 and 28 on the 90 full comp. If you want to cut fast. I have been using 20 and 25 it's easy on the saws too. I don't mind stepping across to finish a cut if I have to. I am afraid if I ran a 36 I would fall asleep in the cut.

those piles took me a day with a guy running loads while I cut then I split it all........the little pile was over 2 full cords

If you got a 044 and a 660 your all set up. Just keep cutting and splitting and making the piles bigger come fall you will wish you had twice as much as you got.

How do you portion it out into cords when you sell. I have been leaving alot on big piles like your doing then stack in our big tractor bucket to measure then dump it right on to the truck and trailer and deliver. 7.5 buckets is a cord stacked tightly.

How do you portion it out into cords when you sell. I have been leaving alot on big piles like your doing then stack in our big tractor bucket to measure then dump it right on to the truck and trailer and deliver. 7.5 buckets is a cord stacked tightly.

Instead of real big piles, why not just one cord sized piles and keep them separated.

At least the big trunk wood as you are working would be fairly easy to get a size right before you cut. Take large end then small end diameter, add together, divide by two. That gives you a decent ballpark for diameter, and radius is one half diameter. Formula for cubic feet in a cylinder is Pi (3.14) times radius squared (radius times radius) times length. It will even tightly stacked stack up larger of course. Say around 100 to 110 cubic feet in sold trunk form will nail or surpass a cord once split or stacked. Depends on size of splits and etc.

Or just eyeball it in your dump truck, you must have an idea of what a thrown in or tractor dumped pile of wood looks like heaped up in the truck.

Another way is knock together some bins that would hold say 1/3rd or 1/2 cord thrown in.

I sell 4x8 single rows face cord delivery only 184.4 cubic feet dump load and 260.1 dump load the dump loads are not stacked. I don't stack anything too much time or do deliveries. I have a lot of people come to pick up I sell long&short beds not stacked with regular rates but have people buy anything from trunk loads to large dump trailer loads or stacked loads. I just adjust the prices.

Instead of real big piles, why not just one cord sized piles and keep them separated.

At least the big trunk wood as you are working would be fairly easy to get a size right before you cut. Take large end then small end diameter, add together, divide by two. That gives you a decent ballpark for diameter, and radius is one half diameter. Formula for cubic feet in a cylinder is Pi (3.14) times radius squared (radius times radius) times length. It will even tightly stacked stack up larger of course. Say around 100 to 110 cubic feet in sold trunk form will nail or surpass a cord once split or stacked. Depends on size of splits and etc.

Or just eyeball it in your dump truck, you must have an idea of what a thrown in or tractor dumped pile of wood looks like heaped up in the truck.

Another way is knock together some bins that would hold say 1/3rd or 1/2 cord thrown in.
I usually end up stacking for the customer And when people pay 120 a face or 360 a full it better be right. And I don't want to give extra either. I do stack 8 cords inside and some outside to have it pre measured it just takes to so long to do.

I usually end up stacking for the customer And when people pay 120 a face or 360 a full it better be right. And I don't want to give extra either. I do stack 8 cords inside and some outside to have it pre measured it just takes to so long to do.

360 a cord is just top shelf pay for firewood, this side of designer bundles. Maybe instead of wasting all that time, come up with bins and deliver by the bin, with a deposit on the bins, or like shrinkwrapped or strapped pallets. Stack as you split, handle it once, then automated somehow, forks, delivery forklift like home depot uses, or a pallet jack and a lift gate, etc. Manual pallet jacks aren't that expensive, and used electrics are not bad either, compared to a forklift. I have used both quite a bit, of course you need a hard surface. I don't know your delivery situations though, might be all dumped in the dirt someplace.

Around here, 150 bucks is about tops for oak and hickory.

Back