opinions on the demise of this Meteor 390 top end - big pic warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
returned by a customer :(
looking for independent opinions on what happened before I call him
IMG_0803_zpsmko5vtux.jpg

IMG_0804_zps0gckr6oa.jpg

IMG_0796_zpsbci3tgcr.jpg

IMG_0797_zps8gqqgmlx.jpg

IMG_0798_zps0lpfqvrn.jpg
IMG_0795_zps7xaydj1o.jpg

IMG_0801_zpsckd1juce.jpg

I am with sunfish on it looks to me like lack of oil, to have scoring all the way to the bottom of the piston skirt.If running lean you would see more damage on the top edge of the pistom above ring groove. you would have to measure clearances but it could be cold siezed, caused by close tolereces and wide open throdle on very cold engine. I used to see alot back home in alaska on snowmobile engines. Start it up and hold it to the bar.

All I see is dry, dry, and more dry
Looks like Amsoil @ 100:1
I lump in with windthrown ...................

Did the customer install this themselves? They may have folded the base gasket over or compromised the intake boot. I also see what looks like a water deposit up high.

WARNING: I am not the most knowledgeable person about engines!!! My opinion: I am not seeing a lot of oil. I noticed the other day that a Husqy backpack blower run at 32:1 had a noticeable film of oil on the piston when viewed through the exhaust port. I, personally, am going to go with the guys above and say straight gas. Dave, is there a chance we could we see a pic of the inside of the muffler?

You know I'm pretty new here but the first thought so had when I saw the piston head was the it doesn't look like any oil or very little in the mix. Straight gas to me but I'm still learning so take it for what it worth, no carbon build up at all is fishy.

Looks straight gassed. Cold seizure would normally result in 4 distinct scoring areas adjacent to the ends of the piston pin, where the piston is the thinest and expands the fastest. May also guess he put kerosene in it? I don't see enough melting on yhr piston crown to indicate a lran condition

Latest posts

Back