opinions on the demise of this Meteor 390 top end - big pic warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the key point here. Not so much what caused the failure, but the fact that there is a repeat failure.

Failure #2 looks just like failure #1, doesn't it? So, whatever took out the original cylinder can reasonably be assumed to have taken out the second. So as has been said, this is really on the customer. One failure, you could question the parts. Two failures you have to look at something else. And this guy failed to do that, and he, not Dave, should have to pay for his own mistake.

Good for business? Yes, it is IMO. Why should Dave eat the guys mistake? Think a Husky or Stihl dealer can get a free top end without being able to identify why the first one failed? Think I could get a second one from Husky still not knowing why they are failing? And this guy wants to stick a THIRD one on there?
get em Bob! I would say you have probably been on daves side of the deal a few times.

Bob, you said it. This certainly cannot be the first time this issue has come up. Seems to me that dealers, distributers etc need a clear cut policy on how to handle these type of issues. Love the accuracy of the expression "repeat" failure" ....

Very generous of Dave to give the guy his $$ back, but until he gets a real diagnosis on this, no sense in being the one to sell him a new jug.

This is the key point here. Not so much what caused the failure, but the fact that there is a repeat failure.

Failure #2 looks just like failure #1, doesn't it? So, whatever took out the original cylinder can reasonably be assumed to have taken out the second. So as has been said, this is really on the customer. One failure, you could question the parts. Two failures you have to look at something else. And this guy failed to do that, and he, not Dave, should have to pay for his own mistake.

Good for business? Yes, it is IMO. Why should Dave eat the guys mistake? Think a Husky or Stihl dealer can get a free top end without being able to identify why the first one failed? Think I could get a second one from Husky still not knowing why they are failing? And this guy wants to stick a THIRD one on there?

Well said.
DD, if you refund the money then at least block the customer from your EBay store. So far both "mechanics" involved are spending DD's money like it is free and will continue to.

I gotta refund him, not worth arguing or bad blood over a chainsaw part but I can t justify asking Meteor for a freebie on this one, I don't see any evidence of manufacturer error.
Seeing the responses from guys with more wrench time on any particular model than my entire lifetime will see on all models combined is what makes posting here a constant learning experience.
You guys rock!!!

what happens when he smokes the replacement replacement?
you have a bad batch of P&C's?

returned by a customer :(
looking for independent opinions on what happened before I call him
IMG_0803_zpsmko5vtux.jpg

IMG_0804_zps0gckr6oa.jpg

IMG_0796_zpsbci3tgcr.jpg

IMG_0797_zps8gqqgmlx.jpg

IMG_0798_zps0lpfqvrn.jpg
IMG_0795_zps7xaydj1o.jpg

IMG_0801_zpsckd1juce.jpg

That sir is a lean failure. No piston wash on that crown, all black carbon means too lean and too hot. The heat broke down the "absolutely precise" 50:1 oil mix he was using on the exhaust side of the piston and the rest is history. I personally dont see how you are liable for his mistake but I can respect the way you are handeling it. In your "free" time you might want to shoot these photos over to the manufacture tech support and get their opinion. I've had piston manufacture take my piston back and test the hardness. If its a lean failure the hardness will change due to the heat.

Another question for the group.
what are the chances of the oil settling in the fuel? oil is heavier and sits at the bottom of the container and a very lean mix gets poured in.. till you get to the bottom of the container.

i always give the can a good shake before topping up the saw.

just catching up again, I got my pellet stove installed today so hopefully wont be freezing my butt off packaging orders tomorrow :)
I never thought to check the inside of the piston before, good call there.
it is dry but has a slightly sticky residue, feel like you could roll it up like the adhesive on the back of new credit card when it is glued to the paper and comes in the mail, very tacky.
No idea what to make of that but not oily at all.

just catching up again, I got my pellet stove installed today so hopefully wont be freezing my butt off packaging orders tomorrow :)
I never thought to check the inside of the piston before, good call there.
it is dry but has a slightly sticky residue, feel like you could roll it up like the adhesive on the back of new credit card when it is glued to the paper and comes in the mail, very tacky.
No idea what to make of that but not oily at all.
Is it black/burnt?

nope pretty clean, just a few smudges really but gummy throughout
the inside of the cylinder is dry ad smooth except for the transfer, but leaves a soot on my finger when I wipe the wall.
Dave

very old mix.the type that even gums up the tranfers and crank case and turns into black unremoveable tar.
believe you just got a tank full on a lean tune rather than perfect tune with 5gallons through it.
see if you can get pictures of the old cylinder.bet it has near identical marks.

Another question for the group.
what are the chances of the oil settling in the fuel? oil is heavier and sits at the bottom of the container and a very lean mix gets poured in.. till you get to the bottom of the container.

i always give the can a good shake before topping up the saw.

Modern oils stay suspended in fuel a long time. It's unlikely that the oil settled out of the saw owner's fuel enough to cause that damage.

Back