Ordered a Cannon quarter tip bar today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
......wow.........and....way outa my league!
The stairs you posted are not too much simpler, actually. Mortising the side of the tree limb present it's own set of challenges, IMO. Ok, they look like they could be simpler, but until you get into it you really can't tell. Moving and working with a large timber as in your pic presents issues also.

This would be a good topic for the homeowner forum.

hot stuff

You say your quarter tip is running excessivly hot. Are you getting plenty of bar oil to feed through the oiler slots? Don't be afraid to modify the oil holes to get a better oil flow. Check the alignment of the oil holes. -ken

You say your quarter tip is running excessivly hot. Are you getting plenty of bar oil to feed through the oiler slots? Don't be afraid to modify the oil holes to get a better oil flow. Check the alignment of the oil holes. -ken
I'd be curious to know also.

My bar is not here yet, hope it's not missing in action...:-/

I was most curious to understand Bill's situation, as he does have a Cannon bar also. I don't know if that is a problem with the Cannon or not, but Mark seems to be using one with great success, and there's a lot of Cannon bars in use. Might be unique to the bar and/or chain that Bill is using.

I haven't seen Bill around, he sent me a PM which I replied to, but that was about the time of his last post here.

Bill, also what chain are you using on your Cannon bar?

I ordered both Oregon 25AP and 25F from Jamie that I wanted to try with the bar. I think it's all in transit, just sent an email to Jamie this morning to find out.

Nice to see the thread come back around to carving bars, sorry for the detour on stairs! ;)

Cheers,
TT

I'd be curious to know also.

My bar is not here yet, hope it's not missing in action...:-/

I was most curious to understand Bill's situation, as he does have a Cannon bar also. I don't know if that is a problem with the Cannon or not, but Mark seems to be using one with great success, and there's a lot of Cannon bars in use. Might be unique to the bar and/or chain that Bill is using.

I haven't seen Bill around, he sent me a PM which I replied to, but that was about the time of his last post here.

Bill, also what chain are you using on your Cannon bar?

I ordered both Oregon 25AP and 25F from Jamie that I wanted to try with the bar. I think it's all in transit, just sent an email to Jamie this morning to find out.

Nice to see the thread come back around to carving bars, sorry for the detour on stairs! ;)

Cheers,
TT

I tried several different chains, including several new ones.

Yes to the poster a couple ago, it was slinging tons of oil off the chain. If not that would have been an easy catch. I even tried greasing the rails to see if any different. Only difference was color of junk thrown off chain.

I dressed the bar, is it was a bit crude in spots. The sugihara looks like an aircraft part in comparison.

The dressing and some more running seemed to have it running ballpark now. On some cannon bars (I have a number of bigger ones through 60") the slots come very tight and I think that was one problem. Enough grab to really heat the bar instantly which makes more grab, etc.

So now it's within what I can live with. Biggest issue I have with it is that although they call it a 12 inch bar, it only sticks out 9 inches on my 346 as opposed to 11.5 inches by the 12 inch sugihara that came on my 3200.

I tried to call Jamie (since he didn't answer my email last time and I bought the 3200 from another source) to see about choosing a longer bar, but his number wasn't working - I tried four times and it kept dropping me on the second ring.

So I ordered a 16 inch Cannon bar elsewhere that hopefully will protrude 4 more inches than the 12 incher which would be 13 and great I think. If I don't like the profile I can eventually have it modified.

(Some of this is a repeat from a carving forum this morning.)

I spent about an hour going back and forth between my 3200 and my 346 this morning. Love the 3200 but for some stuff I want a little more power andthe 346 has tons of power but gets heavy.

So I am fantasizing about an in between saw -- maybe either a g4000 or a 339NE. The339 is very ugly in pictures, but at 8.8 lbs and 2.4 hp it sounds attractive. Spending $500 on a saw without holding it first is slowing me up, as my dealer doesn't stock the tailed 200 or the 339 - says no market here.

I've heard good things about the 4000, but anyone run the 339 with a carving bar?

Last edited:
So now it's within what I can live with. Biggest issue I have with it is that although they call it a 12 inch bar, it only sticks out 9 inches on my 346 as opposed to 11.5 inches by the 12 inch sugihara that came on my 3200.
That's interesting, I still don't have my bar to measure yet, but ordered a 16" bar.
I tried to call Jamie (since he didn't answer my email last time and I bought the 3200 from another source) to see about choosing a longer bar, but his number wasn't working - I tried four times and it kept dropping me on the second ring.
I was having a similar problem yesterday when trying to call. Not sure where my goodies are, they could be in transit, not sure. I'm leaving on Monday for 2 weeks, was hoping to ship them out to WV where I'll be working with some logs. Might not get to though...:-( Will wait to see what happens today or Monday.
So I ordered a 16 inch Cannon bar elsewhere that hopefully will protrude 4 more inches than the 12 incher which would be 13 and great I think. If I don't like the profile I can eventually have it modified.
Let us know how long it is, after you get it. You might get yours before me...:rolleyes:
I've heard good things about the 4000, but anyone run the 339 with a carving bar?
I have a 336 I just got, very similar to the 339xp, although a tad lighter. It is very responsive, light, and seems to have enough power.

The 336 is slightly less power than the 339xp. There's a place on the web that has some NOS that I got mine at for $359, no tax and free shipping.

I will say that I was using the stock 16" bar to carve on a piece of cedar...that stuff smells so nice! :)

Cheers,
TT

Ok, Jamie Doeren got back to me and is back at home now, my bar/chain/sprockets/etc...are going out to me in West Virginia. I'll use them on a Husky 345 here in WV first, and will use it on my 336 after I get home in a couple weeks.

Will keep you posted when I get it and how it works. I'll check to see how hot it runs.

Cheers,
TT

Ok, Jamie Doeren got back to me and is back at home now, my bar/chain/sprockets/etc...are going out to me in West Virginia. I'll use them on a Husky 345 here in WV first, and will use it on my 336 after I get home in a couple weeks.

Will keep you posted when I get it and how it works. I'll check to see how hot it runs.

Cheers,
TT

I called him and talked for a while. Very helpful, and full of info.

I will buy some stuff from him once I decide what my next saw will be. Maybe a 339xpne.

Latest posts

Back