Ordering parts from your dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is easy to sink a fortune in parts, that may or may not sell.

But a customer that wants a 4$ part will have to wait until I make an order,
as anything I order costs me at least $9 to get in. If the customer wants
to pay the $9 shipping, I'll order it right away.

I am a nice guy, but not an idiot.....

If people don't want to get stuck with shipping on a "rush order" for a critical part for a saw, then keep some spare saws around.

That's the way it should be too. Any one who runs a small engine repair business or even just a saw repair business can't possibly be expected to have all the parts on hand for every different saw they work on. Shipping has to be paid for, either it's on the bill up front or included in the mark up.
I am real small potatoes but do a fair amount of just saw repair. I am not a dealer of any particular brand but have been in retail/resale supply of building products for 27 yrs so I have a fair understanding of the business side of things. If I have three saw jobs needing parts and perhaps I need something myself I divide the shipping by 4 and spread the cost out as evenly as possible. If I get free shipping on an order then everyone gets free shipping.

That said though it annoys me no end to have to pay shipping on parts from a dealer of the same brand. I believe if you are the dealer of, say Husky then you should not be charging shipping on Husky parts. The only time charging should be permissible is if I want the parts pronto and am willing the extra shipping or the dealer ships the parts directly to me the customer.

I also see that, as was said earlier, the dealer is stuck in the middle where the distributor charges them shipping so they have no choice but to pass it on. It speaks volumes about the whole business situation. It was not to long ago that manufactures were happy to be selling product and willing to get spare parts to the dealers as fast and inexpensively as possible.

We have to face it, it costs a lot of money to be in this business and have and maintain place to from which to do business from. And there is not tremendous money to be made from repair work only. So for every repair job you do and don't charge the shipping cost to that's another $10-$15 lost on the total bill. In my world that's 10% or so of the usual labor costs on a saw repair job.

It's all in the wording, would you rather pay $100 for the parts plus $10 shipping or would you rather pay $110 for the parts and get free shipping? Either way you pick I'm flexible. LOLOLOLOL!!! :cheers:

Last straw on the dealer I ordered from today...I don't they don't stock any internal parts at all. They don't carry any sprockets or even e-clips. I think the only thing they had in stock was the starter handle and rope.

When I asked if they carried sprockets or e-clips, the guy looked at me like I had a third eye...no clue what I was talking about. He couldn't even figure it out with the IPL. I had to go behind the counter to his desk with my 5 month old in her car seat and look up the part number myself.

I'll be dealing with the True Value store...at least they stock some parts, don't charge extra for those stocked parts (their prices are the same as two other dealers in the area), and have a clue about chainsaw parts.

I have no problem with paying shipping when it's special ordered. I do when they charge $12, take 3 days to even place the order to the distributor, and are incompetent.

So you got a crap dealer, sorry for the troubles. I've been on the other side of the counter and seen how impossible some customers can be, so I spoke my bias.

regards

So you got a crap dealer, sorry for the troubles. I've been on the other side of the counter and seen how impossible some customers can be, so I spoke my bias.

regards

No problem, I didn't want to come across as an a**, but I guess it usually is hard to when you're complaining about something.

Most people do not understand the distributors these days use "shipping" as a way to make more money off the shops.

The minimum shipping charges, the handling charges, the fuel sur charges, ect. All of them have pretty high minimum orders to get free shipping and not everything is eligible for it.

I only have one distributor that actually only charges me the "true" shipping costs.

If I have to pay shipping on an order I break it up on the cost of the complete order and raise the list price to accomodate for it.

I want that 4.00 part for my 30 year saw and no I'm not paying any shipping and I want it by tomorrow. Whats your answer Fish. Here's mine, "people in hell want ice water too",LOLOL

Recently ordered a 179.00 part for a cat who dropped off a few chains. Didn't charge him up front or any shipping. It came in 3 days later and three weeks later he came in to get his chains. I got his bag of chains and the part he ordered. He says I didn't order that, I go the hell you didn't. He took it. BS like that is why some make folks pay up front, can't blame them. Don't want to pay the freight then take the wait. If ya want it right away then ya gotsa pay!!!

USMC0802:
Maybe these dealers need to figure out how to stay in business and remain profitable without giving the customers the fist every time they call or walk in the door. Actions like these are what alienates customers and drives them to internet dealers, especially when you have staff at some of these internet shops that are more knowledgeable than the people behind the counter at the dealer.

I hear what you're saying, but if this guy goes down, there won't be anybody in under a 45 minute drive to handle some of the lines he does, in some cases over 2 hrs drive. Nobody is spending any money. It probably doesn't help that the town he's in has about 15% unemployment, and its a regional shopping hub.

We're not a lot different here at AS than the public at large, either. WE want the latest toys, but we all seem to want the profit to come from somebody else.

I want that 4.00 part for my 30 year saw and no I'm not paying any shipping and I want it by tomorrow. Whats your answer Fish. Here's mine, "people in hell want ice water too",LOLOL

Recently ordered a 179.00 part for a cat who dropped off a few chains. Didn't charge him up front or any shipping. It came in 3 days later and three weeks later he came in to get his chains. I got his bag of chains and the part he ordered. He says I didn't order that, I go the hell you didn't. He took it. BS like that is why some make folks pay up front, can't blame them. Don't want to pay the freight then take the wait. If ya want it right away then ya gotsa pay!!!

Tom, if I come into your shop, do you have a rim sprocket for a MS290 on the shelf? How about a rim and drum setup for a MS460? Fuel line for a 290?

Well if you don't I say I'm not taken my time to come down to your shop to pay for those measly parts up front, they should be in stock.

I'm with you on the $179 part or alot of internal parts and such, no problem here paying up front.

I've been to a few dealers that want you to pay for a $10 part up front even if you've bought $100s of parts and saws off them.

My dealer doesn't charge me shipping for parts.

They are the biggest John Deere dealer in our area and they own 10 stores, so odds are if the store I go to does not have the part I need, odds are one of them does. Then regardless they dont charge shipping for that one.

If they need to special order from Stihl they dont charge me shipping, but I know they will for other customers. But, we also spend a few hounded thousand dollars a year with them. So, they like to keep loyal customers happy.

I have found that they can be a little high on some stuff, but someone from our farm is in there daily so it isnt worth my time to go elsewhere for parts.

(Plus I were green underwear and wouldn't think of patronizing any other type of dealer)

Wow, quite a read.

Have a local Stihl dealer who has never charged me for shipping parts, usually has them in a couple of days, AND knocks off 10% off of list - sometimes more.

Mum's the word on his name. I have bought a few saws off of him over the years, so maybe that's helped a little.

Tom, if I come into your shop, do you have a rim sprocket for a MS290 on the shelf? How about a rim and drum setup for a MS460? Fuel line for a 290?

Well if you don't I say I'm not taken my time to come down to your shop to pay for those measly parts up front, they should be in stock.

I'm with you on the $179 part or alot of internal parts and such, no problem here paying up front.

I got all those parts in the bins, tant a pro blem bo. Stihl puts out a sheet for all dealers showing the most common parts sold throughout the year. Stocking common parts is very easy to do. Bring your saw when you come. I'd like to have a buck for everytime someone says you got any fuel hoses in stock, I go sure, what model saw you got and they go uhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know, its one of the smaller ones, I go really, well guess what, there's alot of smaller ones,haha The best are those that want a new chain and they know the model but not the bar length, too funny.

I got all those parts in the bins, tant a pro blem bo. Stihl puts out a sheet for all dealers showing the most common parts sold throughout the year. Stocking common parts is very easy to do. Bring your saw when you come. I'd like to have a buck for everytime someone says you got any fuel hoses in stock, I go sure, what model saw you got and they go uhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know, its one of the smaller ones, I go really, well guess what, there's alot of smaller ones,haha The best are those that want a new chain and they know the model but not the bar length, too funny.

There's a little feel'n in my gut that's a say'n you sell them poor folks a new bar just so's you can sell them the right chain!:)

Well I have gotten to the point where anything that is ordered needs to be paid upfront, unless it is from a customer that comes in all the time. The reason is that I have a shelf full of parts that people have ordered and paid for that have been sitting there anywhere from 2 weeks to a year.

There's a little feel'n in my gut that's a say'n you sell them poor folks a new bar just so's you can sell them the right chain!:)

Oh yes, I hate to do it but when they leave they know the bar length real well, about 50.00 real well along with the cost of a new chain. I always tellem tant no biggie, its good to have a spare bar and chain,hehe

Oh yes, I hate to do it but when they leave they know the bar length real well, about 50.00 real well along with the cost of a new chain. I always tellem tant no biggie, its good to have a spare bar and chain,hehe

That right thar is why'n I'm afraid to show up in yer shop.

I'm sure I'd be convinced of quite a few things that I "need!"

That right thar is why'n I'm afraid to show up in yer shop.

I'm sure I'd be convinced of quite a few things that I "need!"

Awwwwwwwwww I would never sell you anything you don't want or need but I will indeed show you how much you want and need what you don't really want nor need,LOLOLOLOLOL

Awwwwwwwwww I would never sell you anything you don't want or need but I will indeed show you how much you want and need what you don't really want nor need,LOLOLOLOLOL

I feel sorry for all those that enter your "tool shed". The innocent souls that were only looking for a chain file and ended up walking the streets.

Latest posts

Back