Oregan chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chatton

Reaction score
Purchased this chain from my local dealer? Is it genuine??uploadfromtaptalk1468333232227.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468333243189.jpg

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

It certainly LOOKs like Oregon-style chain. But most mainline manufacturers clearly identify their chains: Oregon, KOX, Carlton, STIHL, Tri-Link, Archer, etc., etc., etc., OR with the 'private label' of a saw manufacturer (Husqvarna, ECHO, Dolmar, etc., etc.).

A 'blank' chain is a red flag. Along with the 'A6', which HarleyT notes is not a standard Oregon designation (or Calton, Archer, TriLink, STIHL, . . ?). Together, it looks like an 'aftermarket' / clone / copy type chain to me. The boxes are available separately, so any chain can be put into them.

There is enough doubt in my mind, that it would be up to your dealer to 'prove' that it is genuine Oregon chain, if that is how it was represented. Ask to see the reel it was made from, if they made the loop. They may state that it 'replaces Oregon wxyx chain' - a weasely way that some aftermarket product is represented, but which should not go out in an Oregon box.

Philbert

Thanks all, my thoughts are more or less the same, A6 is the only stamp on the chain, will have chat with local dealer in a few days,
Thanks

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Haven't ever seen Oregon chain in private label but Forester sells chain marketed as unbranded Carlton. I bought one roll thinking it would be like the unbranded chain I bought from normal distributor.... It wasn't the same. The unbranded "Carlton" from Forester had no branding whatsoever on it.....unbranded from my normal distributor just meant it came in a plain white box but the chain itself was still marked Carlton.

selling "unbranded" chain in oregon box seems to me really bad practice for a dealer. Things get even worse if the chain is priced like the real thing........

Caveat emptor!

RV

Follow?
No. But I have thought about taking a drive back to Lex., just for fun.....

Come on up, it will save me a trip your way plus you might take some of my stuff away. Can do lunch at the Parkette for old times sake and talk heart arrhythmias.

Never heard of "Oregan" chain.

That's an Oregon chain box, but it's just a box. We use those for any chain loop made up, regardless of brand.

Latest posts

Back