Oregon 72JGX/092G - Bad Factory Grind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlatinumGroup-CHASE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I ordered a few loops of 72JGX/092G (28" .050 - 3/8 - 92DL) in full skip from Oregon. This is what they send, 6 consecutive cutters on each loop with bad grinds! These pictures are from brand new, right out of the box Oregon chain. Called and complained and they said they"would look into it". I know, this is what I get for being cheap!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 108
I recall five years ago receiving a whole 100' reel of 75LGX chain from them that pulled right. The depth gauges on one side were off on the entire reel. I notified the factory rep and they replaced the reel. The replacement chain worked fine. Occasionally this can happen. I have never been displeased with their service.

Did they let you keep the first reel???

If so, did you fix the depth gauges and use/sell it?

Be honest!!!
No, they sent a pickup statement, and I shipped it back to them in the same carton. The factory rep called me after he received it and his staff agreed that it was defective. I imagine several reels were involved in the production run. They also notified the supplier to send his stock back to them for checking. The supplier thanked me and sent two free chain loops to me on the house.

I'm a diehard Oregon fanboy here, love their stuff.....but damn, I took a new loop of 105 drivers that I've had new in the box for years, and shortened it down to 84 drivers, installed it, went to touch up the cutters with a 7/32 and all the left cutters were perfect, but every single right cutter looked like a cross between round and square grind. Not that big a deal to me, as I just spent an extra 15 minutes and filed them all to match and all is well, but damn, my cutters looked alot like those pictured above, but only on one side. I bet money if I would have run this oregon jgx 72, it would have run to one side like a sob.

I'm a diehard Oregon fanboy here, love their stuff.....but damn, I took a new loop of 105 drivers that I've had new in the box for years, and shortened it down to 84 drivers, installed it, went to touch up the cutters with a 7/32 and all the left cutters were perfect, but every single right cutter looked like a cross between round and square grind. Not that big a deal to me, as I just spent an extra 15 minutes and filed them all to match and all is well, but damn, my cutters looked alot like those pictured above, but only on one side. I bet money if I would have run this oregon jgx 72, it would have run to one side like a sob.

Apparently Oregon was trying to make hybrid round/ground chain and failed......pulls like crazy. Oregon says they are sending (2) new loops out to me and want me to send the old loops back for eval. Was hoping for a new bench grinder, but ill have to settle on getting exactly what i payed for, 2 freakin loops!

Back