Oregon PowerSharp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tks PSE, I can't load videos at all on my links, due to speeds at home and filters at work.
Probably could file a small bar in the same amount of time, but I can see a target market. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
kcj

I think this system could be good for me for cutting firewood in gritty wet conditions. I'd prob just have the one saw running it...

Good to see new stuff like this coming out though.

You can't really knock it until you've tried it!

Here is a pic of an old catalog of the old Powersharp chain, it was available
up to a few years back.

attachment.php

I know it's based on the old system but hopefully they must have done some good improvements in order to put it back on the market.

Time will tell...!

picture.php

Fish, Thanks for showing the old cutter design. That is the cutter shape that a lot of people have tried.

If you compare the cutter design of the cutter in the catalog to the picture above there is one very glaring difference. The cutter gullet of the new PowerSharp is opened way up to provide good chip flow. The old design cutter has very little room for the chips.

the more I think about this, the more merit it has...

And let us be clear, I don't think it was ever planned for the Pro market.

But for a low use homeowner to do a bit of limbing or clean up, it does seem to fit the bill just fine.

as for getting a chain commercially sharpened? in my home town, that is not possible. So the purchase of multiple chains is the norm, and as we all know, not everyone can file a chain.

One thing I did notice, it does not sharpen the side of the cutter. When I peruse the "Sharpening" subforum, that seems to come up on occasion as an important part of sharpening. Is this really an issue?

One thing I did notice, it does not sharpen the side of the cutter. When I peruse the "Sharpening" subforum, that seems to come up on occasion as an important part of sharpening. Is this really an issue?

The PowerSharp system does not directly sharpen the side of the cutter, but it does so indirectly.

When a standard chain cutter is sharpened the cutting edge moves rearward to expose undamaged top and side plate material to create the top cuting edge and side cutting edge.

When a PowerSharp cutter is sharpened the cutting edge moves downward to expose undamaged material for the top and side plate cutting edges.

In both designs the side part of the cutter is sharpened as the top is sharpened.

I'm With this guy!!

It is not immediately apparent to me how the geometry of this new self-sharpening chain will cut any better than the old auto-sharp system, or, be more accurate, how it will avoid cutting considerably worse than conventional chain. Conventional tooth geometry depends on, among other things, the edge exposure generated by the proper adjustment of the rakers, or depth gauges. How any edge exposure will be generated with the sharpening stone making the cutting edge and the raker effectively the same height is not explained. What effect that honkin' big stone dresser being dragged through the cut isn't explained either.

What is immediately apparent is the lack of relevance the promotional video has to a typical user on this forum. Premise: it is difficult to get a sharp chain by filing (show a pair of hands feebly and ineptly trying to use a file, infomercial style). That may be true for the inept, but it's not true of an experienced user. It's relatively easy to get a truly sharp chain, if you know what you're doing. If you don't, the video may look real. The video implies that the only way you'll get your chain sharpened with a grinder is to take it to a shop. Those of us with grinders know that isn't true, either.

The video mourns the tendency of chains to become dull by contact with the ground, and shows the user dutifully and repeatedly chewing into the ground, even on logs that are clearly small enough to move. Most of us know not to do that, but the real issue is that if you really do saw into the ground you're likely to have a rocked chain that -- well, let's just say that the 3-5 second sharpening estimate is optimistic.

Dubious geometry, whose performance versus traditional chain is unproven, straw man difficulties purportedly solved, sketchy information, no price . . . hmmm, doesn't look good. Retail? If it becomes a real product, it will be at Lowes. Lowes is Oregon's big box partner (HD switched to their own stuff), the target market for this sort of thing shops at big boxes, and Lowes website does not mention it. I could be wrong, but it looks like a trial balloon to me, not a product that is currently on the market. And the insertion here was clumsy.

Good luck, lads.

Jack

Welllll said. Yah this whole new chain, new stone, etc etc sounds a little wack to me. Ok so your lookin at like (estimating..) atleast 20 bucks for this chain, then you need a stone as well..so how much are those?.. (sharpening stone or Tru-ing stone is atleast another 10 depending on what ya buy..) so there's 30 bucks. Ok so 30 bucks on chain and stone.. Now you need a bar as well.. so lets say another 20? So 50 bucks so far. Yah i'm good. They did away with the powersharp back in the olden days but yes i know, supposedly found a better way to keep stone in the shape it needs to be in but still. For those of us who cut on a daily basis..i'm stick with files. i SUCKED at sharpening chains (capitalized that for a reason..) but i've gotten WAY WAY WAY better now. just from talkin to ppl on here at with my neighbor who logs for a living. SO back to my 50 dollar total. Ok, here, ive got the conveineince of the amish just up the road. So, 5 bucks in gas to go see the quakers, 11 bucks for a Brand new Oregon Chain (full chisel or not withoug the skip a links or with..you chose) and files at 95 Cents a piece.. imma stick with the quaker mode. ya i kno imma complainer but 50 bucks is 50 bucks now a days in this world. Thats IF it even costs this much. I aint done no research, just started rambling. For the city folk that need to clean the hedges, yah..it'll prolly work for they're occasional trimming. (prolly end up buyin there 300 dollar saw off craigslist for 50 bucks to cuz its gummed up and wont run so they buy a new one..again..) but hey thats fine! lol thats how us other "daily Cutters" get our saws cheap and then post em on A.S. and brag! lol Its a big viscious cycle but i love it!!!! (i cant spell incase any of yinz are wanding, wellll, big words anyhow. lol) So at the end of the day..ill be in the garage, Jammin WDVE (pittsburgh Rock station) with a file in my hand makin shavings and wiatin for the next day to arrive so i can wake up the neighborhood at 6 with the smell and sound of 2 strokes Screamin through the valley! (psshhhh...who needs roosters when im around!) :-D Muhahaha!

tks PSE, I can't load videos at all on my links, due to speeds at home and filters at work.
Probably could file a small bar in the same amount of time, but I can see a target market. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
kcj

If you can file the chains these homeowners are trenching with in the same amount of time the power sharp system will do it in I will pay to learn from you.
:jawdrop: I think some of these "casual users" are trenching in pex with their saws. LOL I agree that a good man with a file can sharpen a chain pretty quickly. I'm not all that good, but I can get my chains pretty sharp in a few minutes, but I'd hate to try some of the chains described by OE. I'm thinking if this system works halfway decent it's gonna save a lot of saws & bars from gettin smoked by people that haven't got any idea what a sharp chain is. May even save some injuries by people that get frustrated with a saw that won't cut & start doing dangerous things. Good luck with the new system

A C

Reading the repost above, I have to confess that my initial reaction was colored by irritation. When the first post by a new member (who still has not posted on another topic) was answered by the first post by another new member (who also has not posted on any other topic) it seemed a rather transparent alternative to taking out a sponsorship. But PSE says that the OP was not a shill, and I accept that. Having seen the explanation of the cutter geometry, I can see how it would work. The point was made that Oregon is to be applauded for coming up with new products to manufacture in the US and that point must be conceded as well.

Is it a product for the typical AS member? Probably not. Viewing myself as typical, for once, I run too many different saws, too many different bars, too many different chains for the convenience to be economical even if the cutting performance were equal to the hand filed chisel to which I am accustomed. The 8-10 cords I cut a year could be done with one saw, I suppose, but I'm an enthusiast, and thus typical of users here. For a homeowner with one saw kept mostly to maintain property, the system may indeed be economical.

I would be interested to learn how the cutting performance really stacks up. The video may be convincing to the same people who buy the Weed Weasel, but it is not very informative to the experienced chain saw user. If the system's performance does compare favorably to a well-sharpened conventional chain, and if it is wished to generate positive buzz on AS, the best course would be to provide an example for testing. I nominate heimanm or modifiedmark as a good place to start. Or Dingeryote or IndianSprings -- level, experienced guys who would be apt to judge usefulness fairly. The racers and cookie cutters would give it a workout, too, but might impose an unfairly high standard. Perhaps the example could be circulated like the Leveraxe was. Although one would hope it wouldn't get stuck like the Leveraxe did. Maybe two 16" bars, Stihl and small Husky mounts, using the same chain and stone, so a wide range of saws could be run. I doubt that many AS members would run out and buy one, but if it really does work we'd acknowledge its usefulness and recommend it to those who would benefit.

Just a thought.

Jack

A PowerSharp system has been sent to an AS member. That person has given me feed back on the packaging/instructions/warnings already. The testing will begin shortly and they will post their experience with the chain and the cutting conditions. Be patient, there should be some information coming from an AS member.

A PowerSharp system has been sent to an AS member. That person has given me feed back on the packaging/instructions/warnings already. The testing will begin shortly and they will post their experience with the chain and the cutting conditions. Be patient, there should be some information coming from an AS member.

I'll bite. Anyone we know?

Jack

Yes, this person is an AS member and you will recongnize the name. I'm leaving the AS member to conduct the evaluation and I'm sworn to secrecy so this AS member can conduct the work without influence from AS.

A dozen fingers on the trigger makes it hard to run a saw.

How did he decide on which member??? If it was by looks, we all would be
ruled out.

Must have picked from that "best bullchitter" category, that would have a lot
of choices........

OR , Maybe from the "Intenz Fan Club"............

And I actually drink from an "Oregon" mug....................What did it get me????

Nothing but heartaches......

I even try to help guys use their Oregon grinders...........

I even get them to make a longer 3/8 lo-pro cutter....

Don't even get a share or two of Oregon stock........

It is like buying into Microsoft 20-25 years ago, all I get is a mug and 50 foot
of Gatorline........................

Which I have plugged countless number of times, BTW......

But I digress......................................................................

...................................................................................

How did he decide on which member??? If it was by looks, we all would be
ruled out.

Must have picked from that "best bullchitter" category, that would have a lot
of choices........

OR , Maybe from the "Intenz Fan Club"............

And I actually drink from an "Oregon" mug....................What did it get me????

Nothing but heartaches......

I even try to help guys use their Oregon grinders...........

I even get them to make a longer 3/8 lo-pro cutter....

Don't even get a share or two of Oregon stock........

It is like buying into Microsoft 20-25 years ago, all I get is a mug and 50 foot
of Gatorline........................

Which I have plugged countless number of times, BTW......

But I digress......................................................................

...................................................................................

Fish,

Why don't ya just ask the guy? :D
LOL!!
Or at least do a better job of it. :monkey:

I have a stack of muddy skidded Elm, Cherry and maple to buck up, and was thinking one of these gizmotronic set ups might actually be worthwhile for such a thing just to save the files.

There might just be a use for the things beyond the Rock-o-matic homeowner market.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ask him??????????

Never thought of that.

Nahhh... It doesn't have a cupholder anyway.......

I think they are after my Maglev Bar/chain system secrets anyway........

I am going to sell to the Chinese, I think.......

Yes, this person is an AS member and you will recongnize the name. I'm leaving the AS member to conduct the evaluation and I'm sworn to secrecy so this AS member can conduct the work without influence from AS.

A dozen fingers on the trigger makes it hard to run a saw.

I'm sorry, that's not how we do things here. The person who has the system is required to go off half-cocked and post something inflammatory, one way or the other, so that we can argue fiercely for 65 pages and roam afield into topics like flood control and string theory long before any results are available. Then, when the results are actually posted we'll be sick of the topic and won't pay attention. :cheers:

Seriously, though, the only thing I could possibly be impatient with is the cloak-and-dagger stuff. I don't think it's necessary, and *my* only curiosity has to do with the credibility of the tester. We're going to try to influence the test? Who cares that much?

Jack

While I think many on the forum might be good at testing it, and letting you know what's good and bad- I think the product is more for the most basic consumer who doesn't even know this forum exists.

Sounds a whole lot like me, so when I get a chance to sample it, I'll let everyone know.. and you won't influence me, because I'm the most basic consumer.

First Impressions

Not trying to be cloak-and-dagger here, I just promised PowerSharp Eng that I would hold off on posting until I at least had a chance to try it. The first test, noted below, was done quickly, partially to satisfy some of the rabid curiousity on A.S.; it does not duplicate 'normal homeowner cutting', which I hope to work on in the next few weeks.

Why me? You have to ask him! These are my first impressions - your milage may vary!

PowerSharp Eng provided a bar, chain, and bar mounted sharpener for my Stihl MS021.

I showed these to a few, local chainsaw buddies, and as he noted, provided him with some first impressions feedback on the chain, sharpener, packaging, and instructions.

I have to say up front that I was skeptical about this chain because it is so different than a conventional chain. I also had a first-generation PowerSharp chain on a Craftsman chainsaw, with modest results. At the same time, if Oregon had put all this work into the chain and sharpener, I was eager to try it.

We compared the PowerSharp chain to a Stihl chain with a good factory edge on a 6X6 timber. We were very impressed with the PowerSharp chain with the original factory edge. We thought that it might be jumpy due to its unusual geometry, but surprised that it cut as fast and as smooth as the Stihl chain and left a square, flat-bottomed kerf.

Temptation drove us to intentionally dull the chain on concrete. The bar mounted sharpener was very easy to install and use, like in the video on their web site. But we were not sure how hard to push or how long to push to sharpen the chain.

We were initially able to restore some of the chain’s cutting ability, but not make it cut as good as when it was new. After talking with PowerSharp Eng about how to use the bar mounted sharpener, we will try to sharpen it again, then try on some brush, small logs, and firewood over the next few weeks, and will post again then.

Philbert

P3011213.jpg
Test set up.

P3011211.jpg
Chips with factory edge.

P3011214.jpg
Intentional Abuse!

P3011220.jpg
Bar Mounted Sharpener.

P3011224.jpg
Sharpening.

Back