Oregon Pro-Lite vs Double Guard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedShift42

Some guy
Reaction score
Homer, AK-- Former home of the bark beetle
Opinion or info on one versus the other?
Looking to put a decent 16” bar on a little echo CS370 PH I scored a few years ago— I can get either for about the same price, and the Oregons seem to be the best quality/price that can be mail ordered up here.
Thanks!
-Eric.

Um, you posted at 8:00 EDT on a Friday. Most of the guys on here in the East Coast are starting/have started work at that time and the West Coast guys are at 5:00, getting up and getting ready to go to work. It’s now only noon EDT.

I have no idea what a “double guard” bar is. Is it a low kickback bar with a tiny nose? If it is, I’m out. Oregon has had some ups and downs over the course of its existence. The first pro lites were pretty good, I haven’t run one in a while.

Oregon's marketing folks changed the names on many of their products a year or two ago, and those names are no longer listed in their catalog to look up the specific differences.

As I recall, they were (are) both good, basic bars, with the Pro-Lite being considered a slightly higher end product. Generally, you can count the number of rivets used to secure the nose sprocket in Oregon bars (1 to 6), and the higher end bars have more for some reason. Not that the rivets themselves make that much difference in a basic bar, but they seem to be an indicator for other quality improvements that are harder to see.

Philbert

Good insight, Philbert, thanks. Was just a little concerned that this “light” bar could turn out to be chintzy or flexy. On 16” those few ounces difference isn’t probably a big deal, but being from the “simplicate and add lightness“ school, less is usually favored.
I’ll prob spring for the extra $1.80, go for the Lite, and report back.

Catbuster, it seems one of us has time warp technology on our device. I’m in Alaska, definitely don’t remember being up posting at 0400.

-Eric.

Back