OT - 2 Stroke Mowers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is weight an issue on something you're not picking up?

2 stroke stuff is dark ages technology. It's like wanting a steam engine car--why?

Durability, longevity, less weight, more power.

The only downside is more polution. 2 stroke mowers are the best for hard use. I have lots of hilly yard with too many obstacles for a riding mower and thick grass that I want to mulch. I want light weight and power. As for not picking them up? Well you still have to push them. As far as I know they don't levitate yet.

Durability, longevity, less weight, more power.

The only downside is more polution. 2 stroke mowers are the best for hard use. I have lots of hilly yard with too many obstacles for a riding mower and thick grass that I want to mulch. I want light weight and power. As for not picking them up? Well you still have to push them. As far as I know they don't levitate yet.

Most of the commercial and homeowner mowers from toro came self propelled with 3 speed transmissions although push models with the 2 stroke were available. The trannys in the commercial units are probably build better than most of todays cars and is one of the reasons that they cost so much. If you need a mower that can levitate check out hover mower.

http://eastmanind.com/eastmancommercial/HOVERMOWER/tabid/187/Default.aspx

they used to run a Suzuki 2 choker. Specks now seem to indicate they are all Honda 4 bangers.

So I take it you can't get Victa in NA ?

Victa are the original petrol powered, rotary blade mower.
All the mower repairers I know reckon that their two stroke is bullet proof, the two local fella's saying they are the best push lawn mower engine made in their opinion.

I don't know if they still manufacture a two stroke, the Australian parent company flogged Victa off to B&S two or so years ago, another iconic Australian product becomes foreign owned....

They are the only new 2stroke I can find. But, not available here. Probably no import market in Canada due to US EPA restrictions.

try looking up tecumseh. I used to use 2 push mowers with those engines and loved them. They werent lawnboy. its been 20 yrs since then.

Tecumseh engines

I have 2 friends with 4-stroke 6hp horizontal shaft on their TB tillers.
I hope they can find parts in the future, think Tecumseh bankrupted,
but parts and NOS engines might still be available.

Why is weight an issue on something you're not picking up?

2 stroke stuff is dark ages technology. It's like wanting a steam engine car--why?

You have obviously never cut grass on steep slopes. You should excuse yourself from this discussion on the grounds of lack of expertise.

If you look on flea bay there are still quite a few of the 2 smoke lawn boys out there for pretty decent prices in good shape. I paid more than I wanted to for the one I have, but I love it! I have one at my mom's that my grandparents bought new in the early 70's that I use almost every weekend. You can't beat the smell of synthetic two stroke oil and race gas, especially in a lawnmower!

You can still find Lawn Boy lawnmowers for sale used. I bought one two weeks ago for $15, took it home and got it running same day. I haven't seen a new one for several years. Lawn Boy got bought out by Toro I think and I believe they discontinued the brand altogether now. The later version of Lawn Boy used Honda 4 stroke engines.

You have obviously never cut grass on steep slopes. You should excuse yourself from this discussion on the grounds of lack of expertise.

But I have. The banks in front of the first house I lived in were too steep to drive up with a rider, but you could go down them. If you went sideways, you'd roll over.

Lawn-boy M series. The finest walk-behind mower ever made, IMHO...;)

LawnboyM002.jpg

500.00 for a Lawnboy? I know where two are at in a barn, they need rings and a few other issues, but $500.00? Man, forget chainsaws, buy the green walk behinds.

:cheers:

yupp. just cruize the bay. I'm talking homeowner grade 2T lawnboys, but new stock. I found a couple just doin quick look around.

I am officially on the hunt for an NOS engine and a commercial deck. Might take a while but I can be patient on this one. Luckiliy 2 stroke mowers aren't actually illegal yet here so there is hope I think. If I take care of it should be my last mower before I'm too old to give a flying poop how long the grass is :p

Also, I think I'm going to deck the head on my Briggs come fall. Just for S&G if nothing else. I need to check the valves for carbon and/or seats etc anyways.

I have a snapper push mower with the Wisconsin Robin 2 stroke, and that is a real nice, and very durable unit. If you see a used one floating around, it only came on the "commercial grade" mowers. My mower is self propelled with a blade clutch, and hard bagger "pac-n-vac".

Back