Out of fuel oil and I don't want to fill it. Wood power activate!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 1 year old englander EPA stove that burns just fine. The way my house Is ducted and where the furnace is, it doesn't make sense to run my blower or I would. I do hvac controls for hospitals, colleges, school districts, etc. my ideal setup would be an OWB to both the house and shop or a combo fuel oil/wood furnace. If i find a bucket of cash laying around someday, I'll change it up. I'll move somewhere warmer! Lol
Well, until you find that bucket of cash it sounds like you're set up just fine!

Had my oil tank filled the other day and the price was the same as a new Husky 390.
Ouch!:eek: That hurts J Walk. I'm going to try to wait until summer when the price is down and even then I'll probably only fill it to half. It will only be for backup heat or if we go away for a weekend. If I would have thought to add a couple fans around the house sooner, I'd probably still have half a tank. Sometimes it takes something like this to happen before I try something new. I'm kind of an old-fashioned type;)

If what you have works, why make it more complicated? I don't know what kind of stove you have, but maybe look into a newer style to reduce wood use. Or just keep using it.

You may be able to modify your ductwork and add a separate control to turn your furnace blower on without running the burner, and use that to distribute the heat without box fans. This is what I do, but the stove is in the basement where the return ducts come through so it was easy for me.

I have my wood heater hooked up this way. My propane furnace drawing heat off of the wood stove. I ran the propane once this winter. It's been a bit cold in the mornings when I don't feed the fire once or twice during the night. Last I checked our tank was at 30%. The only thing using it is the water heater.

Here's my wood heater. Craigslist find.
The rocks on top are for thermo mass. You'd be surprised how much heat they retain. I also have fire brick on the firebox to retain heat. A lot of my foundation is fieldstone. Get the foundation warmed up, it stays warm for hours.

With this setup, I've seen 82°F at the heat vents. I've closed off the air returns and the stove is the main source of air for the propane blower. The blower runs 24-7. Constant warm air does it.
Home Stove.jpg

FIRE!
fire.jpg

This 10" round is where all of the heat goes from the stove to the propane furnace.
Ducting 2.jpg

Flue thermometer quite working a while ago. Another shot of the heat feed.
Ducting 1.jpg

Additional blower that I use when I need more heat. I just plug it in. The automatic controls don't work.
Second blower.jpg

I'd really like to get a dual fuel furnace (oil and wood)
Generally, a dual fuel is considered to be a compromise on either fuel, but PSG Caddy can be Wood/oil, pretty efficient furnace. I'm sure you are aware of the Yukon dual fuels, that's what I have, actually it came from your neck of the woods (finger lakes area) The Yukons are a great furnace, but without true secondary burn, they are not quite as wood efficient or clean burning.

Back