Over my head with 064 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Having read here on AS about how the Stihl 064 offers a great power-to-weight ratio especially with a BB kit that will take the engine to 99cc, I decided to search for a used one as a project saw. Well, I found one, and the seller said it needed new bearings. It looked to be in decent shape on the outside, it has a full-wrap handle and a 32-inch Stihl ES bar in good shape, so I bought it.

I got it home last night, started to check it out, and now I’m afraid I’m in over my head with this project. Up until now I’ve bought used saws in good running shape and have only done carb rebuilds. Now with having to take this all the way down including splitting the cases, this project is way beyond that level and now I’m afraid that I don’t even know what I don’t know yet. I’m just imagining pieces strewn all around the garage with no prospect of my getting a running saw back together.

Short story: I’m starting to chicken out on this project. Any suggestions from the crowd?

Olyeller

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sorry about the photos

Sorry about the photos; I'm out of practice and obviously didn't size them correctly. I'll try to do better on the next batch.

Olyeller

Well if you were a little closer I would say send it over to me and I would complete your project for you. Since we are on opposite coasts then it may be better to look for another member closer to you that may volunteer to help you out. Otherwise it may be better to sell it and find one needing less work. Just my two cents,
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Well the 2 options I can think of is 1: sell it to me or 2: dive in and take it one small step at a time. Ive been on the forum for only alittle while but know alot of these guys know a ton about saws and arent afraid to help and guide others!!!!!! post pics of the troubles your having and someone should be able to help you through it on here:cheers:

Well, if you want to send it to me with the parts necessary, I'll help ya out, shipping wont be too bad. Or you can just bite the bullet and dive in and get'r-done.

More photos

Here are a few more photos. The piston crown has a chunk missing right at the edge at the exhaust port. That didn't concern me greatly since I was planning to to the BB fitment. The piston skirt looks like it didn't run much with the seizure. Also, I didn't see any spark. Much to do...

Olyeller

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Too dumb to know

My main concern is pulling this thing down and not knowing what I should replace or what I should leave be. Obviously I need the BB kit and crank bearings, but then what else? Obviously a carb kit, maybe fuel and impulse lines and stuff like that. But how do I know if the cases are good (yes, I see that the mount for the inside dog is cracked off) and other kinds of major decisions. I can take anything apart! LOL! But am I smart enough to know which other elements need replacing, etc? That's the big question. So I'm not sure if I dive in or jump back on this one. Frankly, splitting the cases has me intimidated even though I've studied the excellent how-to posts many of you have done.

Olyeller

Look at it this way how else will you learn? If you go slow and take your time you will have a nice jewel when your done.

Here is an old thread on the 064:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=88794

One of Lake's on the 064:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=61178

Another about splitting tools:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40590&page=2

Jerry's thread about bearings and heat;
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=131284&highlight=heat

Best wishes,
Bob

Suggestion ??
DUMP the overated POS !!
let some other sucker dump more cash into it while they drink the creamsickle koolaid..
take what you can get for it,add what you would have spent on it and buy a nice new saw that will bury that old thing..
then be glad your free from from a headache and under performing money pit that will never be worth what you have to put in it..

if brian13 can take a chunk of magnesium that once was a saw and bring it back to life, you can be talked through the work on this saw.
i will be watching your rebuild. i am ordering the 066bb tomorrow. today, i bought the 6mm tap to open the case holes for larger and longer bolts. i plan to replace the lines while i have it apart.
good luck!!!!!
Neal

Last edited:
I would add seals to that list too. My suggestion would be get an ipl, and keep everything organized. And if you get stuck, take a break have a beer and look at it later. And do a vac check when your done. The best way to learn is first hand.

Having read here on AS about how the Stihl 064 offers a great power-to-weight ratio especially with a BB kit that will take the engine to 99cc, I decided to search for a used one as a project saw. Well, I found one, and the seller said it needed new bearings. It looked to be in decent shape on the outside, it has a full-wrap handle and a 32-inch Stihl ES bar in good shape, so I bought it.

I got it home last night, started to check it out, and now I’m afraid I’m in over my head with this project. Up until now I’ve bought used saws in good running shape and have only done carb rebuilds. Now with having to take this all the way down including splitting the cases, this project is way beyond that level and now I’m afraid that I don’t even know what I don’t know yet. I’m just imagining pieces strewn all around the garage with no prospect of my getting a running saw back together.

Short story: I’m starting to chicken out on this project. Any suggestions from the crowd?

Olyeller

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Don't be talkin' like that, don't reach for the cherry flavored drink, reach for that BEER vato:cheers:

Good luck, might as well port it too!

I would add seals to that list too. My suggestion would be get an ipl, and keep everything organized. And if you get stuck, take a break have a beer and look at it later. And do a vac check when your done. The best way to learn is first hand.
Brian has a good suggestion in that an IPL and service manual is a very handy reference for how it goes back together, also I use a digital camera (set to macro setting) to take photos as its coming apart.

Olyeller

Well.....when do you NEED it running? Is this a saw that you need to earn money with? Or is it a saw that you got just because you have a sickness? :greenchainsaw:

If you're just adding it to the collection, take your time, ask questions, and stop before forcing anything.

Like others have mentioned with Brian13's saw. Yes...that thing was too far gone! However, he stuck with it, put way too much time it in and just about has it running. I believe this was his first rebuild too.

Go for it! If you don't get it back together it will not be the first saw someone else has gotten as a basket case!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input, guys. You can see my saw lineup in my signature, and in truth, one or maybe two saws are all I really need. This 064 is purely fun and games. If this works out I may sell the Dolmar 143 because it weighs SO MUCH! Maybe I should get rid of the Dolmar and this 064 and just get a 660--or maybe get nothing else because I have plenty of saws! But this CAD thing keeps kicking in. This 064 is supposed to be a fun project for me to tinker with, but I don't want to buy into endless headaches either. Still not sure what to do, but your ideas and suggestions really do help as I try to figure this out.

Olyeller

Buy your gaskets and seals as a set from Stihl. They're much cheaper that way. You can get all the gaskets and crank seals for probably about $30. However, I'm trying to recall from memory, but I think you'll have to buy the case gasket seperately. I believe the gasket kit has been updated with the newest gaskets, and you need the original size gasket for the 064. That case gasket PN is 1122 029 0500. The 064 gasket kit PN is 1122 007 1051, but I'm thinking that may supercede to 1122 007 1053. Hopefully someone here can give you the facts. Bottom line, you want to buy a gasket kit to save money, and then will likely need to order the correct case gasket seperately. Make sense? You may also need an additional gasket that goes in the intake tract, depending on which setup yours has.

Stretch and inspect your other rubber parts and replace as needed.

Fuel lines(both internal and external)
Tank vent - Do not use a grub screw. Use the little orange umbrella inside the tank, and just a hose on the outside.
Fuel and oil tank cap sealing rings.
Oil pickup tube.
Oil pump hose.
Impulse hose.
Intake manifold.
All rubber AV mounts.

Clean the carb and install a kit. I do not buy these from the dealer. They're cheaper online. Buy an OEM Walbro kit only.

Good chance the clutch springs will need replaced. They're cheap.

Set it up with dual spikes and use the roller chain catcher.

Install an Elastostart pull handle and rope.

BTW, I believe you'll have to clearance the case for the BB piston. I'm not positive on that. You'll want to do this before assembling with with the crank and new bearings. I'd recommend a trial fit before tearing it down. I'm sure you'll also have to do some clearancing work on the cylinder. Check out a thread by epicklein22. He did one of these if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
I'm rebuilding my husky 288. The best advise I can tell you is to put bolts and screws back in there hole when you take them out. Like when you take the pull starter off screw the bolts back in. If need be get some small and large zip-lock bags and as you take different parts off then put all the screws and parts in the same bag. Take a picture before you take off and after its off. Think of the saw as groups. Like drive side... then flywheel side.... then carb side.... then exhaust side.

The parts that you will be looking at for a rebuild is.
Gasket kit- make sure every gasket is in the kit
Two seals- both seals might have differnt part #'s so make sure which is which
Impulse hose- If it has one
Fuel line
fuel filter
Crank bearings - one can only be bought at a stihl dealer other can be bought from a bearing house. But both can be bought at a dealer
spark plug
carb rebuild kit

That is about it. I would replace all o-rings in the saw also. Go to the beg for manuals thread and ask for a IPL. Then find and write down every part that you need with part numbers and how many. Keep all your parts in there bags. As you put the saw together have the IPL beside you. It has exploded views of every part of the saw.
Good luck if you lived close I would come over now and give you all the help you want. When your done you will be smiling from ear to ear.:)

Back