Over my head with 064 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poge,
is that the screw you used to try to remove the seal???? i wonder if a smaller, sheetrock screw would be ok? i bought the lisle seal puller and haven't had any problems with it. it looks like your maul could have used some customizing too.

poge,
is that the screw you used to try to remove the seal????

Heck, no. That's the one that finally got it out after I pounded it in with the maul to hook the choker onto for hitchin' up to my truck!

Actually, I did start with a small drywall screw and a medium pair of vice-grips.
The rascal just wouldn't budge.

Poge

Suggestion ??
DUMP the overated POS !!
let some other sucker dump more cash into it while they drink the creamsickle koolaid..
take what you can get for it,add what you would have spent on it and buy a nice new saw that will bury that old thing..
then be glad your free from from a headache and under performing money pit that will never be worth what you have to put in it..

Ron I like most of your posts but I disagree with you here.

The 064 he showed needs a lot of work, but IMO its worth it. They are one of THE best saws ever made. As for the "creamsickle koolaid:...i like a bunch of brands, including Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Poulan, Echo, Efco, etc.

The biggest problem I see is the case damage as far as a rebuild dillema.

Bearings are a given, and seals, P/C.

My advice is have someone do the lower end work for you. I will do it free if you pay for parts and shipping. I am a certified Stihl tech and have the right tools, and I will post pics if you want.

I LOVE 064's! Great saw, too bad all good things have to end.

064/bb066

How is it going out there men? I had my 064/BB066 out last night ran two tanks of gas through her cut up about 1.5 cords of wood and she was screaming I think she is running better all the time. :chainsawguy:

A happy ending

I'm finally getting to the end of this story I started months ago, and it has a happy ending. As I posted today in Snelling's thread where he shows his TWO 064s, I've finally finished my 064 resurrection with a Bailey's Big Bore kit; it took me months, but Brad just whips out beautiful saws in nothing flat!

Anyhow, it was a good learning process for me and as some suggested, I took my time and I also got help from my local dealer who did the bearings in the bottom end. Lots of starts and stops along the way, waiting for parts and other things that came up (wife now has a titanium hip!). I slotted the cylinder base holes as many of you described and it seems to have all gone well. As you'll see in the photos, this 064 is in less than cherry shape; front bosses for the dogs are broken, so I guess I'll just use one dog on the clutch cover--although this clutch cover has stripped mounting holes.

But she runs! I opened up the baffle inside the muffler; might do a DP cover later? Is that necessary if the side exhaust is one hole plus a gill slit from the factory? Can't wait to get her in some big wood!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The saw came with the 32-inch bar pictured; it's in pretty good shape. And the stickers on the covers? I put them on to hide where the previous owner etched his name into the plastic!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement from the AS peanut gallery. This task wasn't as complicated as I feared it might be, but the parts chase and back-and-forth was a big hassle. That's why I gave up on vintage motorcycles and that's probably why this will be my first and last rebuild! Now it's time to find out how she tackles big, old, rock-hard dry oak.

Olyeller/Ken

Good job on your build Ken,..they do get easier the more you do them, just like anything else. Good on you for sticking it out and completing it to running condition.Hope it is all you expected of it and have some fun cutting with it.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the attaboys, guys. Like I said, it was a good learning experience. Chainsaws are not nearly as complicated to work on as motorcycles (no duh?) and that simplicity makes the work fun for me. Also, cleaning and polishing away the grime to find a hidden gem is rewarding too, as is rescuing an old garage queen. However, waiting on the orders for parts for old saws and searching for substitutes is no fun at all; I had my fill of that runaround searching high and low for vintage motorcycle parts. All of which is to say, right now I'm not too keen on doing another saw rebuild. Rescue a forlorn saw? Probably. But no more intensive parts searches for me. At least for now. Unless it's the right saw. At the right price. And, and, and...

By the way, any responses on whether or not I need to open up the 064 muffler more for this BB setup? It has the standard one round hole under the deflector, plus one factory gill slit cut in forward of the hole. Plus I opened up the face of the interior baffle. Is that enough to let this thing breathe correctly?

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement, guys.

Olyeller

You could add a DB cover, put another hole in and add a deflector, or just enlarge that stock opening. I would go up to the slit. I never found the exhaust exiting past the factory deflector to be a problem.

On the 066 mufflers I add another port when I woods port the saw.On a non ported saw I would just open up the muffler till the deflector just covers it. Many on here use the deflector from a Husky 288 as it can be used with the spark screen and mounted with two sheet metal screws.
Can you put up a pict of your muffler showing the exit port?
Pioneerguy600

Exhaust port pics

Thanks for the feedback, Jerry. I'll see if I can get a picture taken of it tonight when I get home from work and get it posted here. It's the stock round hole that comes close, but not all the way to the forward edge of the deflector, plus the gill slit forward of the deflector area, but pointed backward toward the round exhaust hole.

Many words, one picture more valuable!

Olyeller/Ken

Yea,..seen them that way before. A 1"dia hole works good for a stock 066, two 3/4" on my ported 066 Flatop works real nice running 15,000 and fourstroking all the way out to 16,000, cleans out smartley when the chain meets wood.
Pioneerguy600

Pics and sizes

Here are two pics of the exhaust ports in my 064 muffler. The hole is 3/4 inch and the gill slit is about 3/4 inch too, maybe a bit longer and open pretty wide. The forward edge of the hole is about even with the open end of the deflector shroud. Again, I left the perforated baffle inside the muffler, but pretty much opened up the entire front of that baffle to create a big rectangular hole so the exhaust gasses have a virtually unrestricted flow out of the exhaust port and into the muffler box.

Maybe we're over-thinking this and I should just get a dual-port muffler cover? Probably I'll just run it first and see if she seems clogged up for breathing, then go from there? Or I could cut away the portion that separates the round muffler hole from the gill slit to make one big hole? Or would that be too big?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Anyhow, thanks for your time and your thoughts. I greatly appreciate gaining knowledge that you guys have already gathered up; very nice of you to share your experience.

Olyeller

View attachment 169969
View attachment 169970

Going out to the slit won't be overdoing it IMO. The DP cover has a pretty good sized opening on it. You can get close, or close enough, to the area of the DP cover by enlarging the existing hole out and opening it up down some as well.

No deflector?

Yeah, then I started thinking if I connected the existing hole and the gill slit, there would now be no deflector over that area and goo and exhaust would pour out the right side? Maybe a DP cover would be tidier?

Olyeller

I know this is an aged thread, but is that why none of the pics are showing up? All I see is a little icon and IMG under it.

Just bought an 064 AV and hoped to get some help from this great thread. Thoughts or advice?

The forum was hacked a few years back and all images were lost as a result.

If have any questions and would like to see pics of anything just let me know.

Latest posts

Back