Over my head with 064 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OUCH !!!!!!
Is maine still part of taxachussetts ?? :)
:biggrinbounce2:
( that always get them downeasters )
LL who ??
( works if thier from around freeport )

I guess the bottom line is as things start to get old and the youthful ambition isnt there any more you have to decide where the enjoyment of a project and hobby ends and begins to become more work than fun..
I am at a point now were i pick and choose the saw projects..
that is what i was trying to impress on the OP,if it dont seem like fun,if you arent looking foreward with enthusiasm to the project,why waste your time..
you HAVE to WANT to do it,should be something when you go to bed at night you want to wake up early so you can get back at it..if the passion isnt there,go for something that fit's YOU better..
It should be ENJOYMENT,it should be FUN,if you dont feel that way ,,dont waste your time,find something that is..
To those that are trying to help and encourage,that is great... maybe with that help the OP will find the ambition and find himself doing something that brings a lot of satisfaction and the rewards of the project will be something that in the end he will find is one of his best accomplishments..
I hope that happens,,but,,failure can be unforgiving..
choose carefully what you decide to do..

Yes you're right Ron...............I suppose..............But that drive is what keeps us so young at heart and youthful.......I mean how do you feel cruzin in your vette?? Do you fell like the beat up ol Q-Tip you are??? Hell no!! I bet you're up to OOB tryin to pick up the slow ones in walkers three nights a week or more. LOLOLOL!!! Ol yella can fix this saw if he WANTS to. Just because it isn't as good as he thought when he bought it shouldn't matter. It is what it is. The die has been cast. What's the next move? Does he throw in the towel and sell it at a loss just to get rid of it. Or does he go completely through it and come out with a better saw than he could ever buy, with the knowledge that it is in almost brand new condition? He obviously wanted this model for some reason, enough to pay $250.00 for it.
I have a 70E I bought off E-Bay, boy it looked real nice in the pics. Original paint was in super condition, 24" Winsor with Stihl chain in new condition. I mean if you wanted a nice 70E this looked like the one to buy. So I did. It came and I was like a white haired kid at Christmas!! Well it did look good...but when I pulled the muffler what I saw almost made me cry. The piston still had plenty of machine marks but some #@%&^$#&&*head had used a round shank screw driver through the port as a piston stop. This had crowded the top of the port inward about a 16th of an inch so when the cord was pulled it broke the ring and gouged a trench in the side of the piston the entire stroke. Plus the drive side main bearing had up and down play. HMMMMM I got mad, then sad, then determined to make this saw right. I haven't got to it yet but did score a brand New P&C for it off E-bay and it still needs to be split and new bearings and seals but that will happen this winter probably. Point is it will be done because I firmly believe that I will prevail over this setback!!! Maybe yella is not like me, maybe he is. I guess that's up to him and how much he wants this particular saw. I'll support him either way but he has to keep this in perspective. This is a chain saw, you can pick it up with one hand. It isn't a bike or car motor. In comparison very simple to work on and I wish him the best whatever he decides.:cheers:[/QUOTE]

Your CRUEl man !! :cry:
support is a good thing, ( buy me gas for the vett ? ) :)
just gotta realize that everybody reaches a point when it takes all night to do what you used to do all night ..
where you at up there ?? any good wimmin that are still ambulatory on thier own ??

Yes you're right Ron...............I suppose..............But that drive is what keeps us so young at heart and youthful.......I mean how do you feel cruzin in your vette?? Do you fell like the beat up ol Q-Tip you are??? Hell no!! I bet you're up to OOB tryin to pick up the slow ones in walkers three nights a week or more. LOLOLOL!!! Ol yella can fix this saw if he WANTS to. Just because it isn't as good as he thought when he bought it shouldn't matter. It is what it is. The die has been cast. What's the next move? Does he throw in the towel and sell it at a loss just to get rid of it. Or does he go completely through it and come out with a better saw than he could ever buy, with the knowledge that it is in almost brand new condition? He obviously wanted this model for some reason, enough to pay $250.00 for it.
I have a 70E I bought off E-Bay, boy it looked real nice in the pics. Original paint was in super condition, 24" Winsor with Stihl chain in new condition. I mean if you wanted a nice 70E this looked like the one to buy. So I did. It came and I was like a white haired kid at Christmas!! Well it did look good...but when I pulled the muffler what I saw almost made me cry. The piston still had plenty of machine marks but some #@%&^$#&&*head had used a round shank screw driver through the port as a piston stop. This had crowded the top of the port inward about a 16th of an inch so when the cord was pulled it broke the ring and gouged a trench in the side of the piston the entire stroke. Plus the drive side main bearing had up and down play. HMMMMM I got mad, then sad, then determined to make this saw right. I haven't got to it yet but did score a brand New P&C for it off E-bay and it still needs to be split and new bearings and seals but that will happen this winter probably. Point is it will be done because I firmly believe that I will prevail over this setback!!! Maybe yella is not like me, maybe he is. I guess that's up to him and how much he wants this particular saw. I'll support him either way but he has to keep this in perspective. This is a chain saw, you can pick it up with one hand. It isn't a bike or car motor. In comparison very simple to work on and I wish him the best whatever he decides.:cheers:

Your CRUEl man !! :cry:
support is a good thing, ( buy me gas for the vett ? ) :)
just gotta realize that everybody reaches a point when it takes all night to do what you used to do all night ..
where you at up there ?? any good wimmin that are still ambulatory on thier own ??[/QUOTE]

I'm not cruel either......stubborn perhaps to the point of absurdity. I know exactly what you mean what you mean about the all night part but I usually fall asleep early...........there I go repeating myself again!!! I'm already up to late!!

I'm up in Blue Hill within sight of MDI where all the "good" people summer.

Yeah there is few but they fall asleep early too, so you gotta start early in the day!! How bout down your way???

Wow, I didn't mean to cause so much drama that has since turned into philosophizing about life, growing old, and more.

Lots of you guys are hitting on points that I've been thinking at various times--probably because you've been there too. Yes, the saw is not what I thought it would be. Yes, I thought about selling it at a loss and just walking away from the headaches. Yes, I had a case of dread there for a while. Yes, it seemed like it might be more work than fun. Yes, I also thought about how fun it would be to bring this saw back from the dead. Yes, it would be cool to have a BB 99cc saw inthis 064 package.

But the main question still is, will it be more headaches than fun? Again, lots of good advice from you guys; I'll just take it slow and keep it fun and see where I get with it. It's not life or death, it's just a little saw that's rough around the edges--but nothing like the corroded basket case that Brian13 had. I'll start in on it slowly and if it's not fun I'll just set it aside for a while.

Thanks again for all the input; you guys are great.

Olyeller/Ken

I can tell you from experience from having no experience, its going to be slow. Problems that come (and they will) are going to seem bigger because you dont know the answer and are going to assume you have done something wrong. You will probably have to repeat a couple of steps. And you will probably yell at it more than once. As far as if it will be worth it in the end, thats on you. I would say it would well worth it. Sounds like you have time, so if you dont rush it and it starts to piss you off just leave it for a bit. But any problem you have, somebody else has had seen it and will have an answer. :cheers:

I can tell you from experience from having no experience, its going to be slow. Problems that come (and they will) are going to seem bigger because you dont know the answer and are going to assume you have done something wrong. You will probably have to repeat a couple of steps. And you will probably yell at it more than once. As far as if it will be worth it in the end, thats on you. I would say it would well worth it. Sounds like you have time, so if you dont rush it and it starts to piss you off just leave it for a bit. But any problem you have, somebody else has had seen it and will have an answer. :cheers:

Exactly!!! You hit the nail on the head. If the going gets to rough simply step away from the saw. When you return it's never as bad as you thought. Sometimes that is a very hard lesson to learn.

I learned it building a stone wall. It was about 60 ft long with a corner on each end with the end walls being about 8 ft long and returning into the hillside. (I live on the side of a mountain) The wall is about 30" high on one end and perhaps 42" high on the other corner. This was to retain the hill and become one of the wife's flower gardens. This is natural dry laid (no cement or stone cutting) and our frost line here is about 48" so it had to be done right or it would be just pile of rocks when the frost went out in the spring. Now I am NO stone mason. Not even in my temperament. I'm a woodworker so I was completely out of my element. However I had always payed attention to the stone work done on the many carpentry jobs I had worked on over the yrs. So I did understand the theory of corner building and stone laying somewhat.
Anyway I started with literally hundreds of stones I had collected over a number of yrs, spread out all over the driveway so I could view and select as needed. This was just puzzled together no cutting, just find a face that was flat and find the correct place in relation to the other stones to put it. After 2-3 hrs of work I would reach a point where there was not a damn rock in the pile that would fit anywhere, no mater which way I turned it:bang:. That was the "walk away" point. Actually I should say the "ride away" point as I would wash my hands and jump on my Ducati and do a 5 mile circle, dry my tee shirt and adjust my attitude and return. Every time I would just reach for a rock and would find the perfect spot for it and the rest would follow until I reached the next impasse. Then I would simply repeat the cycle and get the same results. What I'm getting at is, I don't think the rocks changed while I was gone. But I did. In a project where you are unsure of your abilities or your patience to do something you've never done before, you have to keep it all in perspective. It's just a saw, built by men, and can be fixed by men. It is truly that simple. It was just a pile of rocks for me. You just have to have the patience, attention span and will to prevail.

BTW That rock wall is still standing straight and firm after seven seasons and has mossed up and looks like it's been there for yrs and yrs. I'm prouder of it with every year that passes as I know I learned more than just stone work doing that project. AND I still collecting stones for the next wall I have planned!!:cheers:

Wow, I didn't mean to cause so much drama that has since turned into philosophizing about life, growing old, and more.

Lots of you guys are hitting on points that I've been thinking at various times--probably because you've been there too. Yes, the saw is not what I thought it would be. Yes, I thought about selling it at a loss and just walking away from the headaches. Yes, I had a case of dread there for a while. Yes, it seemed like it might be more work than fun. Yes, I also thought about how fun it would be to bring this saw back from the dead. Yes, it would be cool to have a BB 99cc saw inthis 064 package.

But the main question still is, will it be more headaches than fun? Again, lots of good advice from you guys; I'll just take it slow and keep it fun and see where I get with it. It's not life or death, it's just a little saw that's rough around the edges--but nothing like the corroded basket case that Brian13 had. I'll start in on it slowly and if it's not fun I'll just set it aside for a while.

Olyeller/Ken
I think the thing that bothered me the most about my rebuild was how most guys would say how easy or simple splitting a case is or was.It is easy IF your set up for it.It`s obvious that you have mechanical ability and can easily handle this job.Not everyone is set up to tackle a job like this.The guys that are saying how easy it is are usually the ones that have all the tools.Your gonna need some tools.And if you don`t have the tools you need, your gonna need the tools to fabricate the ones you`ll need.Some guys only have a hammer and a few wrenches and screwdrivers.Thats it.No compressors, drills, vacuum pumps, drill bits,presses, pullers, ring compressors, arbor presses, etc. etc .etc.It can be overwhelming for some guys.It is only a chainsaw, and you will certainly have no trouble doing this job, but the simple fact is your gonna need the tools to do it.Some guys can use a tin can as a ring compressor, I didn`t, I bought one, and a flywheel puller, and a piston stop, drill bit and angle iron to fabricate my case splitting tool.I also bought a puller for that.I bought a lyle puller for the seals.I bought a wooded crank shaft stop also.It is fairly easy, once you have the tools you need.I would say go for it, but also be prepared to make or buy some tools you may not have.I suppose you can cobb together or borrow tools, but that just adds to the (is this fun anymore factor).If you plan on doing more saws, i would say buy everthing you need.If this is the only one, you may want to beg borrow and steal.A addition to a house is EASY for a carpenter.Just a thought.

Olyeller/Ken

GREAT!!
pics please with progress!!

Good luck!

/edit - and check into it to see if it might need an oiler upgrade like my 660 does.
here's a link for the upgrade.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/fspubs/77712508/toc.htm

Last edited:
A good point was made above about tools. In the spirit of getting you started, here is what I fabbed up for a case splitter. In my mind, I absolutely didn't need to build this just for this project... the drilled out angle iron would have been fine. However, I had a quite a few cases I knew I was going to split so I set about figuring out how to build a splitter that was adjustable enough to do all the brands. The gear puller was an EBAY purchase, and there are DOZENS of models that would have worked. As pictured, the splitter wasn't quite finished; the bar bolt holes are now enlarged and elongated and I've done numerous Stihl and Husky models now.

BTW, building the case splitter took me a while... why? Because I am a talentless hack, that's why. The biggest reason I decided to do something elaborate was that this is a hobby and, as such, the challenge didn't really bother me. I had no time line and failure had little consequence. I even took a welding class at the local community college to do the welding thing justice (ok, maybe that's a little embarrassing). But, it was fun and I can now weld! Not very well, mind you, but grinders and wire wheels have there place in flux core welding, at least for a dork like me.

Oh, I just went ahead and bought the Stihl flywheel pullers, they are not that expensive. You CAN get away without them, though, if you're careful.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Glad you did. I've got a similar opportunity.

attachment.php

But the main question still is, will it be more headaches than fun?
Exactly
It's not life or death, it's just a little saw that's rough around the edges
In my case it's my Dad's saw (RIP) last cranked about 1975?

Then I've got a Stihl FS80 weedwhacker to rebuild, a Honda 450 circa 1980, and my penultimate, my basket case Harley FLH I last rode in 1974.

Thanks Ken for getting me started.

Working on it

OK, I got started today just cleaning it up and stripping off the outer stuff. Not really much to show so far so no photos, just taking it nice and slow, one step at a time, enjoying the process. The crank bearings are definitely bad, can wiggle both sides although the clutch side seems to be looser. I hope the cases haven't been gotten all gouged out. If the cases are bad, does anyone make replacements or do I have to hunt up used cases?

Cantdog, that's a great story about the stone wall. But just curious--how many miles did you rack up on the Ducati while you were going for stress relief runs? LOL

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Ken

WHY DOES EVERYONE TURN A CASE SPLITTING INTO A NIGHTMARE . It is so simple. a brass hammer and a tap in the right spot and the things just fall apart . Now im talking tapping not beating with a sledge hammer . With a lil delicate heat and effort the bearings come out with ease as well . When going back in with the bearings . throw em in the deep freeze over night and warm the case again befor installing and they slip right in . the only problem usually on some saws is getting the seals in correctly and this still is not NOT NOT rocket science . Im just a dumb ole redneck with a mechanical eye . nothing on this saw is over your head . you have a wide variety of help here . I will say this if you need help and some one to talk you thru this call me . shoot me a p.m. and i will send you my phone number . ive done several stihls and even a 064 that now resides in canada .

Do it. I learnt on a 460 in pieces, and all Stihl pro saws are fundamentally the same. Here's my technique:

1) Get a cardboard box, tape up the bottom so small parts can't get out.
2) Strip the saw, throw the parts in the box. Don't worry about which screw goes where - the IPL list all of the screws by diameter and length, so sort that out on the way back together.
3) Handle, covers, clutch cover, starter first. Straight in the box.
4) The you need to split the rear handle from the motor - the top left mount is obvious, the rest are hidden under plastic plates. Undo the carb, and ease out the boot. Disconnect the coil wires and pull them clear. Remove the rear handle and "spine". Now you've got "the motor".
5) Exhaust, coil next.
6) Jug and piston, remove the piston, drift out the pin with an appropriate 1/4 socket.
7) Lock the crank with a bit of wood, and the clutch + flywheel nuts are easy. Pull the clutch, undo the plastic and release the oil pump. Make sure there is no oil in the tank!
8) Pull off the flywheel, (Get the puller it is a few dollars), and there you are, crank in case.
9) I've never done a case split on a modern Stihl, but there are instructions here for doing it with "shade tree" tools, as well proper AS and ZS tools. I've done loads of case splits on 070/090s, and there is nothing really hard in there.

Best bit of the rebuild - bolting a new piston and jug onto a fixed crankcase. The box starts to empty out, and the rest is easy.

Oh yes, you can do all of it with a T27 driver.

Cantdog, that's a great story about the stone wall. But just curious--how many miles did you rack up on the Ducati while you were going for stress relief runs? LOL

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Ken[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I have no idea, but at least a 100-150 maybe. Of course that was in 5-10 mile bursts!!!! I really didn't keep track just applied the prescription as needed!!!LOLOL!! (which was, admittedly,frequent)
But it was amazing that after a brief ride everything seemed to fall back into place again for a while. The whole project took 6 days and an a simply stunning amount of stone, way beyond what you saw as the finished wall.

I used Kawasakis as a prescription for cobwebs and other such things that needed "aired" out. The Triples were very good for that, but nothing beat a tankfull through Z1.
Getting old? Not the fun I was led to believe, I'm 55, the old impact damage is gnawin' on me.

WHY DOES EVERYONE TURN A CASE SPLITTING INTO A NIGHTMARE . It is so simple. a brass hammer and a tap in the right spot and the things just fall apart . Now im talking tapping not beating with a sledge hammer . With a lil delicate heat and effort the bearings come out with ease as well . When going back in with the bearings . throw em in the deep freeze over night and warm the case again befor installing and they slip right in . the only problem usually on some saws is getting the seals in correctly and this still is not NOT NOT rocket science . Im just a dumb ole redneck with a mechanical eye . nothing on this saw is over your head . you have a wide variety of help here . I will say this if you need help and some one to talk you thru this call me . shoot me a p.m. and i will send you my phone number . ive done several stihls and even a 064 that now resides in canada .
If they just fall apart, why all the posts on case splitting tools.Your one of the guys I`m talking about saying how SIMPLE it is.I just don`t get it, you read one post, and you need Case splitting tools, presses,pullers,stops, compressors.Read yours and all you need is a brass hammer, a hair dryer and a freezer.Nobody is saying don`t do it, but be a little prepared before you do it.If it were soooo simple, everone would simply rebuild their saws, there would be no blown up saws.I`ve already bought two saw from guys who did just what some of you are saying.just tear it apart and throw it in a box, it`s easy to get back together!Not the case for an 026 and an 036 I just put back together cause the guys who tore them apart got it in their heads they could do it.They couldn`t.The majority of the guys on here are gearheads,or farmers and guys who been around machines their whole life. most can`t spell properly, but can fix anything.Thats not the case for some.I`m not saying the OP isn`t up to the job, but rebuiling ANY engine is a job.Some guys think a brake(not break) job is simple,some don`t know where the brake fluid goes.Everyone doesn`t have the same mechanical ability.Rebuilding an engine is not SIMPLE for everyone. (the spelling thing was a joke):laugh:

Cantdog, that's a great story about the stone wall.

LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I have no idea, but at least a 100-150 maybe. Of course that was in 5-10 mile bursts!!!! I really didn't keep track just applied the prescription as needed!!!LOLOL!! (which was, admittedly,frequent)
But it was amazing that after a brief ride everything seemed to fall back into place again for a while. The whole project took 6 days and an a simply stunning amount of stone, way beyond what you saw as the finished wall.[/QUOTE]

Hey Cant,

I have one of those, too. (Wall, that is.) Built yours in six days? Mine is going on six years! I drink beer when I can't fit a piece or "see" the spot. Probably going on a couple hundred cases at this point.:laugh: When I need a break from saws or get frustrated with em, I just look at the rocks sitting there waiting for my attention and that gets me back to the saws pretty fast!!!

Was going to post pics in the "other hobbies" thread since it is sort of an ongoing project. (Show me yours, I'll show you mine!)

But back to Yeller's 064....

It is about the pace and perseverance -- and obviously the enjoyment of the process with the main reward being the gratification of the completed project.

So good luck, Ken. We're hooked on your little rebuild right along with ya at this point!:cheers:

Poge

But it was amazing that after a brief ride everything seemed to fall back into place again for a while. The whole project took 6 days and an a simply stunning amount of stone, way beyond what you saw as the finished wall.

Hey Cant,

I have one of those, too. (Wall, that is.) Built yours in six days? Mine is going on six years! I drink beer when I can't fit a piece or "see" the spot. Probably going on a couple hundred cases at this point.:laugh: When I need a break from saws or get frustrated with em, I just look at the rocks sitting there waiting for my attention and that gets me back to the saws pretty fast!!!

Was going to post pics in the "other hobbies" thread since it is sort of an ongoing project. (Show me yours, I'll show you mine!)

It is about the pace and perseverance -- and obviously the enjoyment of the process with the main reward being the gratification of the completed project.

So good luck, Ken. We're hooked on your little rebuild right along with ya at this point!:cheers:

Poge[/QUOTE]
Hey Poge, wasn`t it you who took the advice of someone to drill a hole in one of your 026 oil seaks and install a screw to take it out?If I recall you had a heck of a time with that.Another simple procedure..:laugh:

If they just fall apart, why all the posts on case splitting tools.Your one of the guys I`m talking about saying how SIMPLE it is.I just don`t get it, you read one post, and you need Case splitting tools, presses,pullers,stops, compressors.Read yours and all you need is a brass hammer, a hair dryer and a freezer.Nobody is saying don`t do it, but be a little prepared before you do it.If it were soooo simple, everone would simply rebuild their saws, there would be no blown up saws.I`ve already bought two saw from guys who did just what some of you are saying.just tear it apart and throw it in a box, it`s easy to get back together!Not the case for an 026 and an 036 I just put back together cause the guys who tore them apart got it in their heads they could do it.They couldn`t.The majority of the guys on here are gearheads,or farmers and guys who been around machines their whole life. most can`t spell properly, but can fix anything.Thats not the case for some.I`m not saying the OP isn`t up to the job, but rebuiling ANY engine is a job.Some guys think a brake(not break) job is simple,some don`t know where the brake fluid goes.Everyone doesn`t have the same mechanical ability.Rebuilding an engine is not SIMPLE for everyone. (the spelling thing was a joke):laugh:

You are absolutely right Joe. Not everyone is "Mr. Fixit" Nor is there any reason for people who are mechanically disinclined to think they need to be. But this started about Ken and his saw. Now though I do not know Ken personally and can't speak for or against his abilities, he has stated that he has taken a number of motorcycles apart and successfully reassembled and rode these. He also seems to be able to communicate well on mechanical issues and theories. So from this information I feel that with his previous mechanical experience that this saw should not drive him to the depths of despair preforming this rebuild. Point I'm trying to make is, this will only become a burden if he allows it to. Otherwise it should be a rewarding experience and fun too. He just has to allow himself to step away and get a new perspective if things don't go right.
On the other hand, I don't know squat about Stihl saws. Never owned one, may never own one. Now older Jonsereds and Huskys I do have some knowledge about. But if I had a Stihl that needed a complete tear down I would not hesitate to do it. Now a few yrs ago I would probably just got a different saw, but since joining this site and reading reams of very good information from accomplished saw folks, I view saws and what can be done from a completely different point.

If he needs there are people here that can walk him through this step by step with pics and video if necessary. That along with his own knowledge is why I believe this is possible. Gotta love AS!!!!!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hey Cant,

Poge
Hey Poge, wasn`t it you who took the advice of someone to drill a hole in one of your 026 oil seaks and install a screw to take it out?If I recall you had a heck of a time with that.Another simple procedure..:laugh:[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOL!!! I set the project up, by putting tons of stone all over my driveway, to be finished. Otherwise I couldn't get in the driveway to park the car & truck. Had to park on the street. Left it so I could just edge a bike out of the garage. Plus the wife had two ton truck loads of expensive flowers all dug up and ready to transplant in the garden this wall project created. Amazing what a motivator an angry loud woman can be!!! LOLOLO!!!

And yes you do have us hooked on this project Ken!!!! Pressure's on already!!!!.............NOT!!!!LOLOLOL!!!!

And yes you do have us hooked on this project Ken!!!! Pressure's on already!!!!.............NOT!!!!LOLOLOL!!!!

How did I get this peanut gallery looking over my shoulder? The fate of the whole free world now hangs in the balance of what I accomplish on my workbench? I think I'll go for a ride and look for some big rocks now... Not!

I got a manual and IPL after posting in the "beg for thread" so now I'll go chip away at it for a while, maybe smoke a cigar and get the BBQ going later.

Olyeller

Back