Over my head with 064 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you want the learning exp of splitting the case and installing new bearings you could opt to just look for a good case and bearings since you have everything else. There is one here, but its not cheap You may want to put a post on the trading post...

Interesting thread -
To the OP - you know in your gut what you want to do, why do we need to justify it?
[sarcasm]
You don't know what your doing, you probably don't have all the tools you'll need, and your bound to make mistakes. It's probably going to cost as much as a used running saw just for itself, parts and travel spent picking up parts.

Is your name Bob? Looks like you may need to change your name.

So instead of rebuilding this saw spend the money you would have to put into parts on a basket weaving class.
[/sarcasm]
or

Get er' done!!

After a careful rebuild (with pictures) you will then be qualified to give us advice. You WILL know what your doing. You WILL have the tools.
You will then be able to rebuild that 090 you stumble across next year and brag about it to us here.

Reads like you already have a support group and it will be an education worth the money,

G money said it best.

Ken, go for it. You have no timeline. No one ('cept us :)) is breathing down your neck for it back.

Like Bob (rmh) said, you have to start sometime and you love to tinker with saws. Above all else, you'll be zipping through some of that big oak you have at your hunting acreage!!!!!

Wood be nice to see the build up close since if I were to throw a rock your way it wood land in your backyard!!!!

Give it a porting and build a pipe for it!!!:cheers:

Good to hear. I believe what I was thinking of was the 066 gasket set. It doesn't have the correct case gasket for my 066.

Yeah, that "transitional" period where they changed the crankcase means that either a person will have to buy the 1053 gasket set (which should have both case gaskets in it) or order the later case gasket separately.

You could get the parts and shop manual which would help you greatly. I'd dismantle the whole thing as best you can and if you find splitting the case and changing the bearings over your head, you could send the casing to anyone of several members here who would do it for you.
John

This could work

Unless you want the learning exp of splitting the case and installing new bearings you could opt to just look for a good case and bearings since you have everything else. There is one here, but its not cheap You may want to put a post on the trading post...

Is dozerdude a member here at AS? this might be a good option; it's splitting the cases and getting it all sealed up tight that has me concerned. and $99 seems reasonable since new bearings alone will run about $50 or so, correct?

Olyeller

Ken, you can do this and there will be more satisfaction when you're cutting that oak.

A shout out here at the AS SALOON is alls you need.

Is dozerdude a member here at AS? this might be a good option; it's splitting the cases and getting it all sealed up tight that has me concerned. and $99 seems reasonable since new bearings alone will run about $50 or so, correct?

Olyeller

but you still have used bearings. i think i would get the case and replace the bearing. if you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on ebay and a current post the swap meet thread. someone here is bound to have a set of cases that you could pick up.

Brother Ken, speak with Bounty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

He's a Stihlhead as you know and has done what you want to have done. Or maybe you can speak to Linda instead:clap::hmm3grin2orange:

Best part, he's just up the road from you:cheers:

I'm done pushing!

but you still have used bearings. i think i would get the case and replace the bearing. if you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on ebay and a current post the swap meet thread. someone here is bound to have a set of cases that you could pick up.

Did I miss something or doesn't he allready have a set of cases?

Label everything.

the lower, inside dog mount is broken and he mentions crank bearings, though i am not sure he has checked those.

Something I do is to take pictures to remember.I also use little snack reseal plastic sandwich baggies.I also use masking tape and label those.You can never label enough.Label everything and what side its on. Baggies work really well.

Another thing I do is to look at each task as a separate project. That way you are only looking at one thing at a time. I have spent most of my projects feeling like I am way in over my head. But with the knowledge hear and detailed pics, you can do it. Only way to learn is to try and be patient. Good Luck!

Case splitting is easy. There is already some pictures posted using a piece of angle iron and a puller. I wouldn't spend the money on another case because you will need to put bearings in that also. Do you own a press? Is there a machine shop close by with a press? How much do you have invested in it? How badly do you want one of these?

the lower, inside dog mount is broken and he mentions crank bearings, though i am not sure he has checked those.

I haven't taken it down very far yet, but the dog mount is broken and there is noticeable play in the crank if you wiggle either the clutch or the ignition side. So obviously the bearings are shot, but I don't know if the cases are damaged.

Olyeller

Case splitting is easy. There is already some pictures posted using a piece of angle iron and a puller. I wouldn't spend the money on another case because you will need to put bearings in that also. Do you own a press? Is there a machine shop close by with a press? How much do you have invested in it? How badly do you want one of these?

I don't have a press but I can probably figure out something. I paid $275 for it and since we were on a vacation trip I didn't take time to inspect it carefully before purchasing--my error. I don't need this saw at all, I was just looking for a project and I thought an 064 would be a fun saw to have. But now it's looking to be in worse shape than I had originally pictured. I'm just wondering if I should cut my losses now instead of pouring more money into it, or if I should consider this a cheap education and some fun tinkering time. Again, as I said in my first post I don't know what I don't know about this saw and that's what's making me cautious. Obviously, I need to be full in or full out of this project, and full in is looking like more headaches than fun right now.

Olyeller

See post #9
I may have come in a little harsh but you are asking questions like somebody that has not worked on rebuilding saws much..
yes,you may be in over your head......if you have experiance on say,rebuilding carbs,,,then maybe replacing rings,then replacing a piston and cylinder,then maybe replacing some crank seals,,,well ok,,then maybe you are ready for the job of splitting casses and replacing bearings....
BUT anybody that would suggest that somebody that has not taken step one jump into a MAJOR project with NO experiance is setting that person up for a MAJOR letdown..
the learning proccess on rebuilding saws is the same as anything else..start at grade one and work your way up..
give the guy a break....dont push him into something he cant handle just because YOU can do it..
MY suggestion is to let it set,,learn more,get experiance ,and when comfortable "ease" your way into it....
Yes,,there IS lots of GREAT help here from people who can start from one bolt and build a saw from it, BUT, the OP may not have that ability and that is his reason for asking..
so give the guy a break and give him something ,at HIS level he can work with..
my apologies to the original poster if i have underated your level of experiance..

Well, I did just fine on my 064 rebuild. Thanks to a lot of reading,posts, and pm's on AS. Although I am very mechanically inclined, I had never been inside a 2 stroke before. Be aware that this will not be cheap: timewise or moneywise.

Back