Over my head with 064 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See post #9
I may have come in a little harsh but you are asking questions like somebody that has not worked on rebuilding saws much..
yes,you may be in over your head......if you have experiance on say,rebuilding carbs,,,then maybe replacing rings,then replacing a piston and cylinder,then maybe replacing some crank seals,,,well ok,,then maybe you are ready for the job of splitting casses and replacing bearings....
BUT anybody that would suggest that somebody that has not taken step one jump into a MAJOR project with NO experiance is setting that person up for a MAJOR letdown..
the learning proccess on rebuilding saws is the same as anything else..start at grade one and work your way up..
give the guy a break....dont push him into something he cant handle just because YOU can do it..
MY suggestion is to let it set,,learn more,get experiance ,and when comfortable "ease" your way into it....
Yes,,there IS lots of GREAT help here from people who can start from one bolt and build a saw from it, BUT, the OP may not have that ability and that is his reason for asking..
so give the guy a break and give him something ,at HIS level he can work with..
my apologies to the original poster if i have underated your level of experiance..
I would have to agree.Some were saying it`s easy, go for it.He`s already a little nervous and ready to give up.It is a tough job, especially if he doesn`t have the tools.Making homemade tools just adds to the anxiety.Maybe he could take up the offer to have someone split the case and install new bearings and seals.Rebuilding a saw from the case up would be very encouraging and rewarding.

:agree2:

Maybe set that one up a while, and try splitting the cases on a $20 saw off CL. If that goes well, then pull out the 064. There are a bunch of saws cheaper to learn on than that one.

See post #9
I may have come in a little harsh but you are asking questions like somebody that has not worked on rebuilding saws much..
yes,you may be in over your head......if you have experiance on say,rebuilding carbs,,,then maybe replacing rings,then replacing a piston and cylinder,then maybe replacing some crank seals,,,well ok,,then maybe you are ready for the job of splitting casses and replacing bearings....
BUT anybody that would suggest that somebody that has not taken step one jump into a MAJOR project with NO experiance is setting that person up for a MAJOR letdown..
the learning proccess on rebuilding saws is the same as anything else..start at grade one and work your way up..
give the guy a break....dont push him into something he cant handle just because YOU can do it..
MY suggestion is to let it set,,learn more,get experiance ,and when comfortable "ease" your way into it....
Yes,,there IS lots of GREAT help here from people who can start from one bolt and build a saw from it, BUT, the OP may not have that ability and that is his reason for asking..
so give the guy a break and give him something ,at HIS level he can work with..
my apologies to the original poster if i have underated your level of experiance..

You're getting soft Ron:greenchainsaw:

Is dozerdude a member here at AS? this might be a good option; it's splitting the cases and getting it all sealed up tight that has me concerned. and $99 seems reasonable since new bearings alone will run about $50 or so, correct?

Olyeller

Hey, my offer still stands. I'll do the bottom end work for you if you like, no charge, just cost ya shipping. Then you can put the top end back on and tank and away ya go, shipping would be cheaper anyway to just ship the powerhead.

Read the thread "Is this Super 250 to far gone" by Brian13 from start to finish. Then put on the theme to Rocky and never give up:chainsaw: If that saw could come back to life I think with enough determination any saw can be brought back. I got a tear in my eye when I heard that old Mac ran for the first time:)

German food last night

Sorry for disappearing last night and not replying; we had a family dinner that went longer than expected. Great German food!

As far as experience goes, I've worked on lots of motorcycles, including two-stroke street bikes from back in the day. For example, I used to decarbonize the heads on my Yamaha 350 just for fun, done top-end jobs no sweat. The question for me now is will this job be more hassle than fun, or will it be a learning experience that turns out to be very rewarding? Frankly, I don't like working on bikes any more, don't even like to wash them. I remember when I genuinely enjoyed rubbing down all the chrome on my bike with Simichrome. But those days are over.

My thought process is that I like to tinker with chainsaws, and have enjoyed rescuing orphan saws (that run!) and doing the minor stuff up to a carb rebuild. But what Ron said about the hassle of running back and forth for parts, etc. actually sounds like it may be all too true. I know this sounds kind of lame, and I know I could get this job done one way or another. But is it worth the time and expense and hassle? That's the fence I'm sitting on.

My apologies if I'm starting to sound like a drama queen here. But after getting this saw and looking it over, it's starting to look like more hassle than fun. I'm in no rush to make a decision, so I'm going to take a close look at this 064 this weekend when I have more time and mull this over some more. Thanks to all you guys who have weighed in--I've read every word and I'm considering my options carefully. You guys who have offered to help--I'm thinking of Paris here and Brad with the parts list--you guys are the best! This is what AS is all about and I surely appreciate your time an attention.

Ken

There's only one solution. Just tear into it and get started. Put some heat on the case and the crank will tap right out of it.

:agree2:

I was pretty nervous splitting my first set of cases, but if you take your time with a bit of "what have I got to lose" mentallity, it can be a great learning experience. My first case splitting and reassembly was slow and a bit frustrating at times, but they keep getting easier and you learn little tricks as you go. It takes lots of time building the tools for doing the first one which makes the job seem bigger than it is, but once you've got that stuff you're set for the next one.:clap:

Sorry for disappearing last night and not replying; we had a family dinner that went longer than expected. Great German food!

As far as experience goes, I've worked on lots of motorcycles, including two-stroke street bikes from back in the day. For example, I used to decarbonize the heads on my Yamaha 350 just for fun, done top-end jobs no sweat. The question for me now is will this job be more hassle than fun, or will it be a learning experience that turns out to be very rewarding? Frankly, I don't like working on bikes any more, don't even like to wash them. I remember when I genuinely enjoyed rubbing down all the chrome on my bike with Simichrome. But those days are over.

My thought process is that I like to tinker with chainsaws, and have enjoyed rescuing orphan saws (that run!) and doing the minor stuff up to a carb rebuild. But what Ron said about the hassle of running back and forth for parts, etc. actually sounds like it may be all too true. I know this sounds kind of lame, and I know I could get this job done one way or another. But is it worth the time and expense and hassle? That's the fence I'm sitting on.

My apologies if I'm starting to sound like a drama queen here. But after getting this saw and looking it over, it's starting to look like more hassle than fun. I'm in no rush to make a decision, so I'm going to take a close look at this 064 this weekend when I have more time and mull this over some more. Thanks to all you guys who have weighed in--I've read every word and I'm considering my options carefully. You guys who have offered to help--I'm thinking of Paris here and Brad with the parts list--you guys are the best! This is what AS is all about and I surely appreciate your time an attention.

Ken

Hi, Ken!

I just read through the whole thread. It's perfectly understandable to to have a little anxiety about a project like this... or anything else in life you haven't done. Two things I'd like to say...

1. You either would like to work on saws or not.

2. There is a first time for everything

If you do want to work on saws, this seems like a really nice little project. If money is not a big deal, you've got the time, and you don't really need the saw for anything, then everything is really pretty ducky, notwithstanding your lack of confidence. In my mind, the key to overcoming that "jump in with both feet-itis" is preparedness. Do your homework, do a bunch of searches, get organized, and take one thing at a time. Quite a few fellows here have gotten PMs from me about various aspects of saw repair on quite a number of different models... they have been patient and helpful... thanks, Brad.. Jerry, etc!

Fact is, Ken, once I've actually FINISHED a saw, the fun is over for me.... most of them get run a token amount and put up. Other than keep them around for their intrinsic value, and fire them up once in a while to keep the carbs operational, I don't need them, and I'm sure I'll get my money out of them one of these days. For now, though, the fun is in fixing them up.

So... have some fun, don't get clutched, and get prepared for the project. There really isn't much that can happen that you can't straighten out if you mess it up. Yes, it might cost you a bit more, or take more time, but if you accept that right now, it's not a big deal.

You do need a case splitter, but they are pretty easy to fab up, especially for one-time use. The search functional will turn up at least half a dozen working rigs, some as easy as drilled-out angle iron.

Last edited:
Ken -
One thing I didn't see mentioned is space for the rebuild. I've helped with cars, worked on bikes, and forsee a Craftsman chainsaw circa 1960's rebuild in my future.

But you need the space to lay the project out, find out you need a part, find and order it off the net and put it together at your leisure. Most of that stuff can be gotten over the net now if you have time.

The first Harley I helped rebuild was in the living room and SWMBO was not pleased.

Must keep SWMBO pleased.

My best advice is to just jump in the deep end, you'll swim if your life depends on it. :cheers:

If ya aint livin on the edge your taking up too much space!!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Parris, I've been on the edge way too many times already; used up too many of my nine lives. I'm ready to be an old duffer now, happy to lead life in a low-key way. But I'm still thinking about maybe doing this rebuild. Maybe.

I read through Brian13's book-length saga of a rebuild, and that did give me more hope. Like I said earlier, I'll give this saw a good going over this weekend and see what I'm really getting into.

Ken

Dread............

Up here Down East we have a saying, " The dread is three quarters of the job"

Yella, It seems you have the job three quarters done already LOLLOL!!!

Remember this is only a chainsaw, and not even one you are depending on for feeding your family or staying warm this coming winter. It should be a fun project. If you take a saw back to it's original assembly point and rebuild/replace from there you will essentially have a brand new saw to show for your efforts. Doing this type of thing can't be about how much cash you have to invest to get where you want to be. Another used saw that runs when you get it may or may not for long. You never know.
If you have taken motorcycles apart and put them back together and run them you can do this. I mean if you screw up the building of your bike you are risking your life when you ride. If you screw up rebuilding your saw it will probably just fail and stop with little risk to you physically.

See what I'm getting at here? Relax......enjoy......go slow....enjoy the ride, everything isn't a race..

If you get stuck, do some more research, ask ??? on here, have a beer, try it again tomorrow. Don't panick if you hit a snag here and there. It will all be worth it to you when you fire it up!!:cheers:

Last edited:
I have been working on a 064 for a few months now when I have time. I got the thing in a couple of box's, minus the screws and other various small pieces. Now that project is a PITA.

Just look at it as a giant puzzle, everything has a place, as long as you have all the pieces:dizzy:

Pita

Yeah, it's that PITA stuff that has me concerned. My son-in-law's brother just asked me to come over tonight and look at his Harley 1200 top end. He thought it had some piston slap or something else bad going on so he took it apart. It all looked just fine, no metal-on-metal issues. I concluded it might have just been a slack primary chain. Piston, cylinder, head,valves, rocker arms were just fine, barely any signs of normal wear.

But looking at Grant and his bike all in pieces might have shamed me into going forward with this 064 project. I remember taking the top end off my Yamaha 350 back when I was his age, just for the fun of decarbonizing the head and piston. I'm older and wiser now, but what the hell, I'll probably just wade into the 064 this weekend.

It's all just fun and games, right?

Yeah, it's that PITA stuff that has me concerned. My son-in-law's brother just asked me to come over tonight and look at his Harley 1200 top end. He thought it had some piston slap or something else bad going on so he took it apart. It all looked just fine, no metal-on-metal issues. I concluded it might have just been a slack primary chain. Piston, cylinder, head,valves, rocker arms were just fine, barely any signs of normal wear.

But looking at Grant and his bike all in pieces might have shamed me into going forward with this 064 project. I remember taking the top end off my Yamaha 350 back when I was his age, just for the fun of decarbonizing the head and piston. I'm older and wiser now, but what the hell, I'll probably just wade into the 064 this weekend.

It's all just fun and games, right?

Hey yella is that a 1200 shovel head you were looking at?? If so one other thing to check is the upper con rod bushings. Sometimes on a well worn motor they get a a little slack and need replacing. It doesn't take much wear for them to get loud. That will sound like piston slap too. You can drift them out with the right sized deep socket but you will need to then ream the new ones to fit the wristpin. Just a thought as I've had to do this a few times on shovels and pans. Or tell him to loose the baffles and make it loud enough so he can't hear minor engine noise like that!!!

But you see what I meant in the previous post?? If you are not intimidated by a Harley motor a pissant little chainsaw motor (even a BIG saw motor is still little) should be a pleasure to work on!! Have at it I say!!!! Don't listen to that old guy from the "Live Free or Die" state LOLOLOL!!! Good luck!!:cheers:

Pics required if you go with the rebuild!

OP

Pics required if you go with the rebuild!

I believe you can do it! Like others have said....If you have MC experience a chainsaw is a POC! (piece of cake) :hmm3grin2orange: The nice thing about chainsaws is that you can put the pieces in a smaller box.

I also have a 064 waiting for an 066 conversion, though my saw runs fine. I can't wait for you to start as an encouragement for me to tear mine down. Let us know how it goes.

But you see what I meant in the previous post?? If you are not intimidated by a Harley motor a pissant little chainsaw motor (even a BIG saw motor is still little) should be a pleasure to work on!! Have at it I say!!!! Don't listen to that old guy from the "Live Free or Die" state LOLOLOL!!! Good luck!!:cheers:[/QUOTE]

OUCH !!!!!!
Is maine still part of taxachussetts ?? :)
:biggrinbounce2:
( that always get them downeasters )
LL who ??
( works if thier from around freeport )

I guess the bottom line is as things start to get old and the youthfull ambition isnt there any more you have to decide where the enjoyment of a project and hobby ends and begins to become more work than fun..
I am at a point now were i pick and choose the saw projects..
that is what i was trying to impress on the OP,if it dont seem like fun,if you arent looking foreward with enthusiasm to the project,why waste your time..
you HAVE to WANT to do it,should be something when you go to bed at night you want to wake up early so you can get back at it..if the passion isnt there,go for something that fit's YOU better..
It should be ENJOYMENT,it should be FUN,if you dont feel that way ,,dont waste your time,find something that is..
To those that are trying to help and encourage,that is great... maybe with that help the OP will find the ambition and find himself doing something that brings a lot of satisfaction and the rewards of the project will be something that in the end he will find is one of his best accomplishments..
I hope that happens,,but,,failure can be unforgiving..
choose carefully what you decide to do..

But you see what I meant in the previous post?? If you are not intimidated by a Harley motor a pissant little chainsaw motor (even a BIG saw motor is still little) should be a pleasure to work on!! Have at it I say!!!! Don't listen to that old guy from the "Live Free or Die" state LOLOLOL!!! Good luck!!:cheers:

OUCH !!!!!!
Is maine still part of taxachussetts ?? :)
:biggrinbounce2:
( that always get them downeasters )
LL who ??
( works if thier from around freeport )

I guess the bottom line is as things start to get old and the youthful ambition isnt there any more you have to decide where the enjoyment of a project and hobby ends and begins to become more work than fun..
I am at a point now were i pick and choose the saw projects..
that is what i was trying to impress on the OP,if it dont seem like fun,if you arent looking foreward with enthusiasm to the project,why waste your time..
you HAVE to WANT to do it,should be something when you go to bed at night you want to wake up early so you can get back at it..if the passion isnt there,go for something that fit's YOU better..
It should be ENJOYMENT,it should be FUN,if you dont feel that way ,,dont waste your time,find something that is..
To those that are trying to help and encourage,that is great... maybe with that help the OP will find the ambition and find himself doing something that brings a lot of satisfaction and the rewards of the project will be something that in the end he will find is one of his best accomplishments..
I hope that happens,,but,,failure can be unforgiving..
choose carefully what you decide to do..[/QUOTE]

Yes you're right Ron...............I suppose..............But that drive is what keeps us so young at heart and youthful.......I mean how do you feel cruzin in your vette?? Do you fell like the beat up ol Q-Tip you are??? Hell no!! I bet you're up to OOB tryin to pick up the slow ones in walkers three nights a week or more. LOLOLOL!!! Ol yella can fix this saw if he WANTS to. Just because it isn't as good as he thought when he bought it shouldn't matter. It is what it is. The die has been cast. What's the next move? Does he throw in the towel and sell it at a loss just to get rid of it. Or does he go completely through it and come out with a better saw than he could ever buy, with the knowledge that it is in almost brand new condition? He obviously wanted this model for some reason, enough to pay $250.00 for it.
I have a 70E I bought off E-Bay, boy it looked real nice in the pics. Original paint was in super condition, 24" Winsor with Stihl chain in new condition. I mean if you wanted a nice 70E this looked like the one to buy. So I did. It came and I was like a white haired kid at Christmas!! Well it did look good...but when I pulled the muffler what I saw almost made me cry. The piston still had plenty of machine marks but some #@%&^$#&&*head had used a round shank screw driver through the port as a piston stop. This had crowded the top of the port inward about a 16th of an inch so when the cord was pulled it broke the ring and gouged a trench in the side of the piston the entire stroke. Plus the drive side main bearing had up and down play. HMMMMM I got mad, then sad, then determined to make this saw right. I haven't got to it yet but did score a brand New P&C for it off E-bay and it still needs to be split and new bearings and seals but that will happen this winter probably. Point is it will be done because I firmly believe that I will prevail over this setback!!! Maybe yella is not like me, maybe he is. I guess that's up to him and how much he wants this particular saw. I'll support him either way but he has to keep this in perspective. This is a chain saw, you can pick it up with one hand. It isn't a bike or car motor. In comparison very simple to work on and I wish him the best whatever he decides.:cheers:

Back