Overbought! Shindaiwa 600 SX for 4 cords/yr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderDawgAl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, all. Longtime lurker who just joined recently. New firewood hoarder here because we recently moved into a house with a Jotul F500 woodstove. Bought this chainsaw earlier in the week. It's really an Echo CS-620P in a Shindaiwa disguise. I'm hoping to cut with it within the next couple days. I've been heating with hardwood pallets and scavenged wood.

Needing only 2-4 cords per year, I could have saved money buying the Echo 590 for $400, but I decided that I would probably later wish I'd paid more upfront for the additional torque and the aluminum handle. There's no financial argument for getting this one over the 590, because you pay just over 50% more to gain 25% add'l power. However, in the long run, if I start cutting more, I figured that any mods would gain me even more power, and I wanted the better bar and handle.

Poor pics, b/c it's just too cold and windy to open the garage door right now. Normally, of course, the garage is immaculately organized.

I bought the 20" bar. Local dealer had a 27" bar also, but I won't be needing that anytime soon.

So does this saw have the same cylinder porting as the 620p? You should have showed us the OEM factory fitted Sugi bar!! That is one nice little bonus buying a pro shinny, ya get a factory Sugi, or at least you do in Oz & Japan. Nice Saw! That handle looks much nicer and will feel better when holding with gloves on. Its one thing I can't stand about the 5 series echos (I have a cs550p) is the thin plastic handle that just don't feel as it should.

So does this saw have the same cylinder porting as the 620p? You should have showed us the OEM factory fitted Sugi bar!! That is one nice little bonus buying a pro shinny, ya get a factory Sugi, or at least you do in Oz & Japan.
Yep, it has the same cylinder porting as the 620P. Regarding the Sugi bar, you've lost me. This is my first chainsaw, so I don't know the ins and outs like that. I was originally going to get a Stihl, till I found this website and read all the Echo reviews. I then decided to get an Echo 590, but then I saw that the CS-600 was just a little bit more...and then I saw that the 620P was just a littttllle bit more than the 600...and then the Stihl dealer 2 miles from the house started carrying Shindaiwa.

What does the air filter look like on the new ones?
I'll try to slip out to the garage tomorrow (Sunday) and get some pics for you. The air filter has the same part number as the Echo CS-620P.

If the weather's good, I hope to cut some wood on Monday.

I'm looking forward to the report on how she does in the field. I've got a few Shindaiwa saws but none of the new ones.

That is a great saw. It should last you for years and years. Just always empty the fuel and run the saw dry

Hello, all. Longtime lurker who just joined recently. New firewood hoarder here because we recently moved into a house with a Jotul F500 woodstove. Bought this chainsaw earlier in the week. It's really an Echo CS-620P in a Shindaiwa disguise. I'm hoping to cut with it within the next couple days. I've been heating with hardwood pallets and scavenged wood.

Needing only 2-4 cords per year, I could have saved money buying the Echo 590 for $400, but I decided that I would probably later wish I'd paid more upfront for the additional torque and the aluminum handle. There's no financial argument for getting this one over the 590, because you pay just over 50% more to gain 25% add'l power. However, in the long run, if I start cutting more, I figured that any mods would gain me even more power, and I wanted the better bar and handle.

Poor pics, b/c it's just too cold and windy to open the garage door right now. Normally, of course, the garage is immaculately organized.

I bought the 20" bar. Local dealer had a 27" bar also, but I won't be needing that anytime soon.

Screw the warranty and fatten it up a bit and run 40.1 mix for break inn

Screw the warranty and fatten it up a bit and run 40.1 mix for break inn
Ha! That's probably what I'll do. I won't remove the limiter caps yet, though. I also won't mess with the muffler till I've run a few tanks through it.

I'd pull the caps and tune before you cut with it, no sense in burning it up if its lean, just put the caps back on without trimming the tabs.. You best find some wood cutting buddy's with 290 Stihls , they'll be watching you cut wonder what you did to that saw. Nothing wrong with having a little fun. Steve

Ha! That's probably what I'll do. I won't remove the limiter caps yet, though. I also won't mess with the muffler till I've run a few tanks through it.
Pull caps asap you can order new ones. Dont want to over temp a new engine. Retune run it, if there is a warranty issue put new caps on and your not voiding warranty. A echo salesman in mn says that's one way to save ur warranty and also have a good running saw

I'd pull the caps and tune before you cut with it, no sense in burning it up if its lean, just put the caps back on without trimming the tabs.. You best find some wood cutting buddy's with 290 Stihls , they'll be watching you cut wonder what you did to that saw. Nothing wrong with having a little fun. Steve
Yeah what he said. A good running echo/ shinny will last for years if you don't burn it up with factory tuning.

All you need is a sheet rock screw. It's the easiest tool to find. Most echo issue is due to burning up engines cause they too lean. I tooK mine out of warranty before I fired it up cause I know I got a good product. Retune, got rid of cat, it's against my religion to have a pusse cat in my saw. And 5 years later it's still running strong. Only issue I had was tank vent got covered with dust n oil and dulled many chains. It happens

Nice saw I like the red better than my two 590s if your air filter is similar to mine I put an o ring under the filter on the intake to keep fine dust particles out that's the only thing and muffler mod and retune really woke my saws up.

If the muffler is anything like a 500 then the muffler mod is a breeze. Just pull a little pipe out. Make sure to drill out the deflector, it made a big difference on mine from not being drilled.

Latest posts

Back