Overgrown, clashing trees in small patio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

od35

Reaction score
I bought a town home in Houston, it has two large overgrown trees in the back patio, and neighbors have another big one in their patio and all 3 trees fighting each other for sunlight. Mine are Sabal palmtree and Magnolia, neighbors is Maple tree, all apparently neglected over time.

Here are the pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76823631@N04/sets/72157640841129814/
12463109834_8c8c9a2a8a_z_d.jpg

12463111654_b165ff568d_z_d.jpg

I like them all for their character and the shade they provide during hot Houston summer is also quite welcome.

However, there's a growing problem, primarily resulting from the palm leaning to the outside of the patio, struggling to get away from magnolia. The palm is already causing fence damage so if nothing is done, the problem will just get bigger.

I'd like to understand what are my options, is there a feasible solution to trim and keep all trees, or removal is something I need to consider? Will appreciate any thoughts.

Trimming would likely be an effective solution. I would also consider modifications to the fence to allow room for the tree. I would recommend calling a couple different arborists for consultations and bids. The neighbors tree seems to be the worst offender. Check local law, in Minnesota you can cut anything over your property line. When hired to cut a neighbors tree I like to talk to the neighbor, inform them I will be cutting their tree back to the property line and recommend they allow me to make proper cuts. I do this after asking my customer to speak to them first. You should be able to make yourself, your neighbor and the trees happy and cohabitating.

Trimming would likely be an effective solution. I would also consider modifications to the fence to allow room for the tree.

Thanks. I will talk to neighbor once I have a clear picture of the options and I will talk to local arborist definitely, just looking for opinions at this time. It would be hard to trim on property boundaries since it's so close and tight, maple would turn out ugly if I do that, and my Magnolia tree is partially over the neighbors patio as well so they might push right back and have magnolia trimmed equally as ugly. I obviously want to avoid that. :) It almost seems to me that removing Magnolia tree and trimming the Maple could bring enough room for both Maple and Palm tree to have enough space, would that be a valid option in your opinion? On the other hand, I'm still more concerned with the leaning palm tree, would it straighten out a bit if it has more room? The upper section where there's more sunlight seems to be perking up a bit.

Modifying the fence could be a problem as it's maintained by the homeowners association, I will ask them what are my options though.

Well I don't know much about palms but my guess it whats leaning is leaning, new growth could be turned vertical if it is the best path for the tree to grow into the light. Removing one of the trees is an option, sure.

The Palm appears to have health issues, your arborist will talk to you about a soil test & possible insect control.
Magnolia can be pruned aggressively & ask about a growth regulator application.
Neighbor's tree could have potential structural problems, suggest the arborist to glance over the fence for you.

The Palm appears to have health issues, your arborist will talk to you about a soil test & possible insect control.
Magnolia can be pruned aggressively & ask about a growth regulator application.
Neighbor's tree could have potential structural problems, suggest the arborist to glance over the fence for you.
Thank you, will do. A couple clarifications:
We do have Mosquitos in the area during the hot season, is that what you are referring to in regards to the palm? Just to mention, the pictures were taken after a few rainy days and white spots on the palm trunk are the bird poop, the doves love to hang out up there.

By structural problems with the neighbors tree, do you mean the possible issue with the roots damaging the foundation or something else?

Back