OWB in Michigan requirements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE PLUMMER

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking for any 1st hand experience with ordinances in Michigan (lower) that negatively impact install and sales. I was shown an article that said a used OWB could not be resold and installed legally. I also read in order to receive any tax credit the old OWB had to be decommissioned/destroyed in order so it cannot be reused ever again. In order to clean the air, the new 2 phase was only half of the requirement, if the old boiler would still be in use somewhere. The article did not pertain just to Michigan. I read both Michigan's and the local ordinance and neither stated this, seems its pretty loose in what each locality can adopt for regulations, but its obvious from the states POV in released statements/articles that they are heavily against them. Seems your at the mercy of the inspector as it specifically states he has the final say on anything not clearly stated in MI outdoor burn laws. Also the fire inspector can get involved even after everyone else has approved it. i was also shown info from a Fire marshal on the impact of wet and seasoned wood smoke in confined areas vs. open areas w/ & without wind. Curious if anyone has any other data. Seems its just as vague or proven as 2nd hand smoke. Some say you really need to huff it and others say just the mere sighting of smoke can harm your lungs. I am very surprised to read the haters on OWB's, yet there is a big blind eye to a wood stove.

I am very surprised to read the haters on OWB's, yet there is a big blind eye to a wood stove.

When you have so many people with OWB's burning trash, wood that is just piled next to the OWB all winter, etc - what do you expect?

I would get a hold of the twnship supervisor, if the township has nothing, move to the county, if they have nothing check the state laws.

The strictest are 99.9% of the time always at the lowest level.

Latest posts

Back