OWB Insurance Rates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well my insurance company came by back in the fall to snoop around one day and take pictures of my place. I now conveniently get a " wood burner questionnaire" in the mail today asking all kinds of random questions that only pertain to an inside wood stove or furnace.

I can see the writing on the wall, they found a carrot and are now going to jack my rates. The good news is I have a propane furnace, which of course is my primary source of heat..

Anyways, I was always of the impression that insurance companies don't care about OWB's, since they're outside the dwelling. When I had State Farm I brought it up, he said " is it outside?" I said yes and he said " I don't care about it then"

I truly think the insurance companies just see it as an excuse to create a risk that doesn't really exist, and as a result bump rates.

Curious what others experiences have been in this situation?

I wrote them a note on the questionnaire saying if my rates so much as changed I'd cancel my policy, we'll see how that goes.

Insurance company doesn't give a toss if you cancel your policy.The agent will however.If your house burned down would you claim the OWB as part of your claim?

nationwide told me my owb is covered under my home owners policy if a tree falls on it, etc. the owb didnt jack my rates up at all.

When I lived with my ex, we put our OWB over 6 feet from the house, which is what the state required for spacing for fire code. The insurance company did not give a lick about it. My insurance company now does not give a lick about my wood stove here either. It is on my policy. As long as it is up to code for OH you should be fine. They can snoop all they want. My insurance company has never been out here to even look at my place. I have insurance mainly for liability, and then replacement value.

My old insurance company had a 20' rule. As long as the OWB was 20' or more from an insurable structure they didn't care at all. I think there is some stickiness with calling it your PRIMARY heat source also. Just to be safe never state that wood is your PRIMARY heat source. I haven't ran my propane furnace in like 4 years but on paper it's still my primary heat source.

We changed insurance a year ago and got hit with an additional $100.00 a year for Hazardous woodstove...b/c the boiler is 13.6' from the barn and they want 15'. Prior insurance company said no issue since it was outside. I think each company is different.

Prior insurance company just didn't want it right next to the house (mine is 110'). Switch to new company told them it was there, no problem. A month into the policy I get a wood stove question. I was not happy but filled it out. A couple weeks later I have 1 month to have it inspected or they cancel the policy on me.

I call them up and ask who would have to do the inspection and what are they inspecting for, They said the licensed dealer. So I call the dealer, there is no licence to install them here. (I installed it myself). So the dealer says he wouldn't feel comfortable inspecting it.

Back to insurance company, all they will say in licensed installer, so on to my agent they fought with them for a while, they agreed to keep the policy for a year. I still have no idea who is supposed to inspect it, or what for.

I would have never switched to this company has they been honest and told me this up front. Oh yea and I have a surcharge for the fireplace inside as well.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I'll send my questionnaire in and see what happens. My unit was home made so I doubt anyone will inspect it. The unit sets about 45' from my house so I can't see it being an issue with regards to clearance. Honestly I just feel like they're looking for a reason to charge more.

Worst case I guess I'll switch companies.

A friend of mine got pinched by the insurance co for having a three sided wind break around his owb. Said the burner wasn't designed to be operated indoors and was a UL violation. The same company told him his wood pile had to be 50 feet away from the stove. His pile was already 20 feet and he had to restack it.

He also has a small cast iron wood stove in his shop, separated from any building. The insurance adjusted said he didn't even want to look at it thinking he might see a violation.

Sent from the shitter, the only place it get to read arboristsite!

A friend of mine got pinched by the insurance co for having a three sided wind break around his owb. Said the burner wasn't designed to be operated indoors and was a UL violation. The same company told him his wood pile had to be 50 feet away from the stove. His pile was already 20 feet and he had to restack it.

He also has a small cast iron wood stove in his shop, separated from any building. The insurance adjusted said he didn't even want to look at it thinking he might see a violation.

Sent from the shitter, the only place it get to read arboristsite!

It seems any sort of common sense gets thrown out the window with these people.

I helped the neighbor fill one of those out for his garage.
I installed the wood stove and flu a couple years ago to "code". It aint rocket science, the code is pretty clear.
Took some measurements to fill in the blanks, called and spoke with agent,even shot a couple pictures and sent to the agent, neighbor mailed it in.
No problems.

I now conveniently get a " wood burner questionnaire" in the mail today asking all kinds of random questions that only pertain to an inside wood stove or furnace.

I truly think the insurance companies just see it as an excuse to create a risk that doesn't really exist, and as a result bump rates.
Been going through a similar situation. Insurance company stopped using the agent we were with as a representative. We thought the easiest thing would be to change agents and keep the same policy - boy did that end up not to be true. We were with them for five years with zero claims and then they wanted to address several items after an inspection. The inspection was required because they had to rewrite the entire policy to use another agent to keep exactly the same coverage. One of the items was the OWB and we got the same questionnaire you did. I told them none of it applied and the OWB was 100' from the house. It seems their take was that there was no way to get it covered since it didn't comply with the form and they were refusing coverage on the entire policy. Anyway, we ended up with a different insurance company. I'm really not happy with them either as they raised the premium after the initial quote because the home replacement cost was not enough for the "fluctuating cost of material". Really? The replacement value goes up by 15% and the premium goes up by 25%? Aarrrghh! I'm still shopping for another insurance agent and company.

I think the first company was using the OWB as an excuse, not a reason. The agent said all of the insurance companies have become WAY more picky about any detail that they consider out of the ordinary in the past couple of years. Oh, and this is after they told me that I have the highest insurance rating (similar to credit rating I guess) that they had ever seen. Sure doesn't feel like it when you have to jump through flaming hoops to get basic coverage.

My unit was home made so I doubt anyone will inspect it.

Being homemade very few insurance companies will like it. Most want a "MANUFACTURED UL LISTED appliance".
The 45' clearance you mentioned later in the post that I quoted should be OK though.

Try getting a homemade unit insured to put inside.:dizzy:
I got it done but it took some effort and some searching.
"Westfield" insurance took it.

Let's face it. Any change, or anything unusual is an excuse to increase premiums.

A few years ago, Ontario was making noises about requiring sprinkler systems in all dwellings. At the time I listened to a panel discussion on the topic. The consensus was that it was a great idea, but not feasible, especially as a retro-fit. One of the panel members was a representative of some insurance company or other, and he said that they currently charged a higher rate for homes with sprinklers. I assume the excuse had something to do with the risk of water damage, but the real reason was that they have to punish anyone who dares to be different.

Back to owb's. I have a letter from my broker saying that the only requirements are that it must be 30 feet from a building and have concrete or gravel in front of the firebox. Their main concern seems to be grass fires. He did say that some companies won't insure them because they could freeze and crack if the fire went out. I'm not sure if it was just the boiler they wouldn't insure or the whole property.

never state that wood is your PRIMARY heat source. I haven't ran my propane furnace in like 4 years but on paper it's still my primary heat source.

IMHO that is incredibly bad advice. If you have a claim and with fire it is going to be major. Fraud on an application is a perfect reason not to pay. If you claim you heated with propane and have not a single dollar spent in 4 years, you have a perfect verifiable justification for a fraudulent application and denial of claim.

IMHO that is incredibly bad advice. If you have a claim and with fire it is going to be major. Fraud on an application is a perfect reason not to pay. If you claim you heated with propane and have not a single dollar spent in 4 years, you have a perfect verifiable justification for a fraudulent application and denial of claim.

I actually do use my propane in the early fall and spring when temps are in the 40-50's during the daytime. The wood burner just isn't efficient when temps really warm up and its more hassle trying to keep it going than it is just to run the propane. We generally spend 3-500 a year on propane. Plus it keeps them off my back from threatening to come take my tank.

Let's face it. Any change, or anything unusual is an excuse to increase premiums.

A few years ago, Ontario was making noises about requiring sprinkler systems in all dwellings. At the time I listened to a panel discussion on the topic. The consensus was that it was a great idea, but not feasible, especially as a retro-fit. One of the panel members was a representative of some insurance company or other, and he said that they currently charged a higher rate for homes with sprinklers. I assume the excuse had something to do with the risk of water damage, but the real reason was that they have to punish anyone who dares to be different.

Back to owb's. I have a letter from my broker saying that the only requirements are that it must be 30 feet from a building and have concrete or gravel in front of the firebox. Their main concern seems to be grass fires. He did say that some companies won't insure them because they could freeze and crack if the fire went out. I'm not sure if it was just the boiler they wouldn't insure or the whole property.

Would you mind sharing your underwriter? I am getting screwed by farmers mutual because of my OWB and can't find another company that will take the policy. Thanks.

Would you mind sharing your underwriter? I am getting screwed by farmers mutual because of my OWB and can't find another company that will take the policy. Thanks.

Are they dropping you or just charging excessively?

Charging excessively. I'm paying $2125 for 2800 square foot house. Was way cheaper before OWB. Have never made a claim.

Back