oxygenated fuel for chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcowboy1974

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi there folks, I've been using Amoco Ultimate 93 octane in my chainsaws at 32:1. Mobil Racing 2T and half Husqvarna regular 2 cycle oil. Do any of you know if the Amoco ultimate 93 contains ANY ethanol, alcohol, methanol, or oxygenates: or is it pure gasoline. I'm a firm believer in not having ANY ols in my chainsaw fuel. What are your thoughts, and what fuel of the higher octanes DO NOT have any ols in their fuels. Does shell vpower have any, etc? Thanks to all, and happy Thanksgiving!

The best thing to do is get on their websites and look for specs. If you can't find out anything fire them an email or call customer service. I work for a refinery but i can't answer the others fuel questions...Bob

Amoco fuel

I use Chevron, Texaco, Exxon or Shell...all premium grade. It depends on my location at the time of purchase. Mostly Texaco due to the proximity of that station. I avoid Amoco. It has, in the past, had a good reputation but in driving a big air-cooled VW I found that it did not operate as well with Amoco as with other name brand fuel. As far as I know, here in my part of Alabama the well known major brands do not sell reformulated gasoline. Further South in the Birmingham area I believe they are required to do so due to ozone air pollution standards. Eric 271 says that in his part of Kansas that even major brands are RFG. Something about the politics of economics. Maybe he will chime in here and explain the...evolution of RFG in Kansas. :)

Why do you mix the Mobil Racing 2T and half Husqvarna regular 2 cycle oil?

I had the same question about a conoco station, a tech guy from the website said it depended on where that last fuel shipment came from, and the best way was to ask at the station. I tried that, young girl working there had no idea.

Thats the one thing about gas, the brand name on the pump may not match who made the gas. Unless you live in Texas and there is a refinery every mile. Here in NE Ohio we supply the gas for 75% of the stations no matter who's name is on the sign...Bob

An option

I have run the RFG without a problem, so far. If they stuck fine booze in the formulation then there might be a issue with rubber parts in the fuel system, and maybe extra wear due to the stuff washing lube off the piston and jug.

I have experimented this summer with a jug of 100 LL obtained at the local airport. Carb had to be reset, but other than that it worked well. Plus it actually smells like gasoline! Little more $$ but at the time I was past 3 clams a gallon so what the heck?

-Pat

I run Bp gas in all of my stuff splitter generator truck they all get 87 octance and my saws get 93. The saws blowers and trimmers we have at work all run 87 octane and itasca or something it comes in a green bottle and is dirt cheap. I run mobil one in my stuff but they run the cheapest oil and gas in all the equipment and it still seems to run well (it is stihl equipment so that does say something). I'm not saying anything but if the gas works then use it. The only gas I won't use is shells 93 octance I got that stuff once and it was so stall and screwed up all my saws blowers and four wheeler.

Back