Pacific kevlar helmet question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

I've been using the standard orange plastic helmet with muffs for years but am considering getting the Pacific kevlar helmet. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they heavy/hot/uncomfortable? (I have to mail order it, so I can't try it out first.)

Also, I was wondering if a stronger helmet might be a bad idea, as odd as that sounds. I figure if a plastic helmet cracks when hit, it's absorbing some of the energy that would otherwise go to your head. Would a kevlar helmet which would not crack simply transmit 100% of the impact energy to your skull?

Also, if anyone knows, how long is the standard orange plastic helmet good for? After a year of UVs, is the helmet not as good as it should be?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I like mine except for the fact that the head band turned my forehead black. I am getting a new band sent to me.... it should be here in the next day or two. I dont think it is too heavy at all. It is a bit warmer than the Petzls, but it is way more comfy. I dont think you will be disappointed.

Pacific kevlar helmet

I have one and have been using it continously for about 4 years now. It has held up very well. It has gotten a very small crack near one earmuff though. The plastic suspension is very comfortable. I did bend the suspension though when it got snagged inside my gear bag when I closed it a few weeks ago though. The helmet is light and works well. I use the chin strap only when climbing because it makes the earmuffs somewhat difficult to seat correctly. I undo the chin strap when chunking down a big spar though to use the muffs when running the saw alot. All in all an excellent helmet which has stood up to alot of continous use/ abuse over the past 4 years. Hemets are made to shed deflections too and that is why most are not flat on top so that a blow is deflected. So a strong helmet is definately important. I would buy another pacific brimmed helmet..... Mike

Me and my bro both have them and like them. Strong, definitely. We have brims on ours. I run the muffs too, and the chinstrap all the time. The front headgear band turns my forehead black also, I will be replacing it, but that is minor. It is a real helmet for sure.

Thanks for the responses. Nice to get real world advice.

I'll be ordering one soon. Have to wait a bit, though. The helmet with the muffs and visor is about $200Cdn. Spent nearly $300 on gear last week so cash is tight. Mind you, I could ask the kids to skip dinner for a while...

We use them also. Everyone has there color. The new bands must be made differently because they do turn your forehead black. I bought a pack of 5 headband liners from Sherrill for like $20.00. They grab alot of sweat and add a comfort factor to the helmet. You do need to make a cut to help it fit right though, Pete

I bought a pack of 5 headband liners from Sherrill for like $20.00. They grab alot of sweat and add a comfort factor to the helmet. You do need to make a cut to help it fit right though, Pete

Those terry cloth ones are great.

The old bands were thin leather, and the dye would leach out and the leather rot on you real fast in the summer.

They are great helmets, I have one and a Petzl Vetex, use them both. The petzl is for if I'm in the tree a lot w/o muffs.
I've neck problems and the Kiwi helmet feels twice as heavy.

I've been wearing my pacific since this spring and love it. Seems like once you start wearing one you start hitting your head alot more. I often cut brush above me and just let it bounce and side off my head! I would caution that it is a hard hat though and not a helmet. I don't think it would do much for you in a fall. Sounds like you are a groundy anyway. I was told when I bought it that I may not like tipping my head back a bit further to look past the visor when looking up but it's not a problem. The sun protection is worth it. I have thought about getting a helmet for climbing but I don't know how tough it would be to mount muffs. I love to put the muffs on and get in the zone up there. Hate ear plugs.

We had a bit of an August lull up here but I think the fall rush is starting already.

CD.

I've been wearing my pacific since this spring and love it. Seems like once you start wearing one you start hitting your head alot more. I often cut brush above me and just let it bounce and side off my head! I would caution that it is a hard hat though and not a helmet. I don't think it would do much for you in a fall. Sounds like you are a groundy anyway. I was told when I bought it that I may not like tipping my head back a bit further to look past the visor when looking up but it's not a problem. The sun protection is worth it. I have thought about getting a helmet for climbing but I don't know how tough it would be to mount muffs. I love to put the muffs on and get in the zone up there. Hate ear plugs.

We had a bit of an August lull up here but I think the fall rush is starting already.

CD.

I just bought the Peltor 27 decible muffs, the bigger ones, and started wearing them on mine when I climb. I noticed once I drop them down the first time I never hardly put them back up, I get in the "zone".

.... I bought a pack of 5 headband liners from Sherrill for like $20.00. They grab alot of sweat and add a comfort factor to the helmet. You do need to make a cut to help it fit right though, Pete

I use the beanies/helmet liners like you see football players wear. They are the ones made from the same stuff as the high performance t-shirts.

UnderArmour make them but off brands work well too. They don't replace the liners in the helmet for comfort but they absorb a lot of sweat.

attachment.php

Everybody made fun of the underwear on my head, but I see more and more guys I work with wearing them now.

Fred

Sounds like you are a groundy anyway.

Yep, I pound the ground. I can climb and do some small stuff, but by no means am I a climber. I need the helmet to protect me from the climbers.

(The term in our company for a groundman is a *itch. I run the ground show so I'm *itch One. Couldn't have that as my name here, though, so it's Groundman One.)

I disagree, The Pacific helmet is not a hard hat but a true helmet. I fell 40 feet out of a Silver Maple and cracked my helmet. I think I can still hold a conversation. I know the helmet made a difference. Pete

I use the beanies/helmet liners like you see football players wear. They are the ones made from the same stuff as the high performance t-shirts.

UnderArmour make them but off brands work well too. They don't replace the liners in the helmet for comfort but they absorb a lot of sweat.

attachment.php

Everybody made fun of the underwear on my head, but I see more and more guys I work with wearing them now.

Fred

Oh I like the underwear on the head idea. I tried a bandana but didn't like it, kind of a crappy fit. How much are those underwear units?

Oh I like the underwear on the head idea. I tried a bandana but didn't like it, kind of a crappy fit. How much are those underwear units?

A little spendy at around $15 locally but they are hands down better than bandanas. Almost have a cooling effect with a light breeze.

They also make one with a mesh top, but the solid top one works just as good, didn't notice any difference.

I keep an extra in my truck, switch them out and wash them when they start smelling like a gym locker.

We have Dunham's or MC Sports around here, but any sporting goods (clothing) store should have them..

You will wonder why you didn't try underwear on your head years ago!!! :biggrinbounce2:

Thanks Ghillie, I will have to get some before Thursday when we start a 3- 85' Silver Maple job. Lots of climbing to do. I hope to get some good pics. Oh, I have run underwear on my head for years just for fun though.;)

...Oh, I have run underwear on my head for years just for fun though.;)

Did the event start with a "Hold my beer"? :cheers:

A couple of days this summer where hot enough that I had to wring them out. When the sweat starts runnin' in your eyes, they're full!!!

I disagree, The Pacific helmet is not a hard hat but a true helmet. I fell 40 feet out of a Silver Maple and cracked my helmet. I think I can still hold a conversation. I know the helmet made a difference. Pete

Well I'm glad to hear you're alright and that the Pacific worked for you as it is what I wear. I for one would like to hear that story. My buddy fell about 40 out of a silver with no hat and is not too sharp anymore. He's lucky to be alive.

Latest posts

Back