Pacific Northwest GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell! I'm going to have one of them there modern fiberglass/plastic out door bathrooms with a real seat and even a hand sanitizer! For bathing, why you can just walk on down to the river, hang your stuff on the "Brass Monkey Warning Signs" and splash around till you are just as clean as a new born scream!
Don't Get No Better Than That...........:jawdrop:.........Bob

I believe my family would call that a "hippy" shower.

Moved Some More Wood

attachment.php

attachment.php

Been trying to get a little done each day. Still have one big Cottonwood to cut up. Should get 5 more 10 foot 60-100cc pieces from it......Bob

I have a fear of those blue buildings. Bad experiences in fire camp. Bad aim by others. Icky. Making me feel ill right now..

But, after seeing the price of Motel 6, I may wing it. Will have to see. I'm getting phone calls from people talking of "starting up" and might actually be busy this year, although most can't start till after July 1.

What is the Poison Oak situation there?

Last edited:
No poison oak! Some nettles though but I'll be spaying those. As far as wild critters.....we have a small heard of deer, a couple of fox dens, and some flying predators. I don't put any stock in the rumors that those paw prints around the barn are from the local but seldom seen mountain lion.
Lot of motels at the I-5 area around the Gateway shopping center and that's only about 20 min. away. There is another closer off the Mohawk turn off at
I-105/highway 126 east. I will get up a list of nearby motels, restaurants and so forth and post a bit later...........:popcorn:.......Bob

Pretty easy for me to pop over the pass. Looking forward to cutting my teeth there. Got a couple of pups that lay low and toe the line. 's alright?

Today's Note!

attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG]Eric....Pup situation solved & looking forward to seeing you.

I went on line to check out the motel situation and there are plenty of them. Prices seem a little on the high side to me but then I don't get out much. They ranged from $60-$140 plus. None are more than 1/2 hour away with the best close one (Villege Inn) at $93. Since i'm such a novice at this sort of thing there have got to be better deals than what I found!
As far as "Good Eats" both Cedar Flats & Walterville have very good restaurants. If you are coming from the East over 126 the Vida Cafe is another very good breakfast or lunch stop.
While I'm thinking about it.....the gas station in Cedar Flats sell the "clear" non ethanol premium. It's all I use in my saws mixed with Stihl Ultra of Bailey's synthetic.

Couple of teaser photos of the first of two Cottonwoods. Note how "T" adjusted the fall.
Somehow the red X rules this time........Bob

Look forward to it. I have to admit though. This site is getting old. The attitudes. I sound kinda locale racist, but I like all of the PNWer's!!! Most anyway LOL

Looks like you have a nice location Mr. Farely. What river is that?

Hello Burvol!

Glad you can make it. Looking forward to meeting you. We are a diverse group. All over the place politically but still have enough in common not to turn down a good time and abit of food & brew adventures! (Chainsaws Too).
River is the Mckenzie.............:cheers:........Bob

sounds fun

may be able to get rid of a couple parts so i can clean out the storage. i like the climbing idea been a couple years since i speed climbed:dizzy: might need to bring my homey 770 g for some one to help me get it runnin rite as rain:clap: i only have one work saw left might be fun to play with the cook cutter kids.

:cheers:

Glad you can make it. Looking forward to meeting you. We are a diverse group. All over the place politically but still have enough in common not to turn down a good time and abit of food & brew adventures! (Chainsaws Too).
River is the Mckenzie.............:cheers:........Bob

Some springers should be hanging around in June still. I'm a fish whore, I'll admit.

I am an open guy. I try my hardest not to judge, but to call a spade when I see one. I like that people have opinions and beliefs. Your suppose to think for yourself. What Mr. J is talking about is what drives me nuts, but I am learning that everyone here cannot fit into my friends list, nor should they. Pick your battles and friends wisely. I love saws, I do...but I am more interested in talking timber. I'll bring a few saws people can play with if they so choose. I'll teach some bucking techniques if anyone cares to listen to my madness, that has a "hanging up/cut out" problem lol. I kind of just want to sit in a chair and BS the old timers, fellow fallers, and learn more about the history of logging in your region. I know Jacob's family has deep roots not too far away. Should be a good time. I'll be the offical fire stirrer, cook, if one is needed. I love to cook and barbeque. I'll be bringing some springer filletes for the grill :cheers:

J- I'd be interested in seeing how you buck the big Pine on long runs. I've been in the woods a long time and I still have trouble on the monster Pine from time to time. I slabbed out a short log not long ago that was 90" on the small end and I'm still smarting about it. I've been doing the "bore and plunge" with some success and taking huge underbucks when I can...

Welcome Superfire!

attachment.php
Be good to have you come! I welcome the competition! I plan on doing a little cleaning out also......mostly free to good home stuff!
Size of barn is 36x48......Kinda outa control......:dizzy:.....Bob

Sounds like we need a "Camp Fire Seance". When I was doing the motorcycle race thing ( 100 years ago ) we called them "Parking Area Cowboys"! They were fast and knew everything until they left the parking!.......:cheers:.....Bob

J- I'd be interested in seeing how you buck the big Pine on long runs. I've been in the woods a long time and I still have trouble on the monster Pine from time to time. I slabbed out a short log not long ago that was 90" on the small end and I'm still smarting about it. I've been doing the "bore and plunge" with some success and taking huge underbucks when I can...

Big pine can be funny stuff. You'll use all your tricks, do 100 logs just perfect, and the 101st will have you talking to yourself for days afterwards.

Live Burvol says...it's not really bad 'til you see the side rod watching you and clapping when a big one splatters. :)

Give me a break brother!!! 90" small end :dizzy:
I wish. The most recent stuff has been 3-5 bushel trees (still very nice for me 32"-46" 32's ) with one at 7.5 and one 10 bushel that is gonna sit until August, when we come back to the unit. I call her, the "subtantial one", lol.

As you know, pine is very heavy. The fibers behave differently than my favorite, Douglass Fir. Huge underbucks is where it's at in my mind. With fir or any tree, you can usually tell how the wow is, and what side to stand on for safety (the side that wants to pinch, not break your legs lol) when bucking back. Sometimes you can take the "tempreture" of the log with a bore and get a feel of how it's gonna break. That is almost impossible with big pine under pressure. I have found that it is a make your choice, get your **** together- now! Type of thing. It's so dang heavy, and the fibers want to strecth and pull to no end vs. just popping like Red Fir. The stretching and pulling leads to the slabing vs. Popping clean a lot of times. the fir will let go when you are close to finishing with minor slabbing, when wheeling up or down. I always pull out and finish from the other side (top or bottom) and it breaks clean. Pine though, it's wierd. It's almost like it compresses harder, because of the soft fibres, making it harder to keep your kerf open. Also, when doing the traditonal, powerhead between the legs, reaching over to the far corner under you buck... it collapses so violenty, you almost need a wedge somewhere in there. I have been trying it (humbling thyself LOL) with some success. Big pine swallows up wedges in the buck due to it's soft nature and wieght. Your axe in the kerf works slick if you can keep it in and keep from breaking the handle when it rolls free.

I would say wheeling in reverese, or up....when the log breaks that way, is the best for pine. Get to the far side as soon as possible and don't look back. I go throttle hard, hard, hard, pull out once or twice to clear chips, back in all the way, keep going, once kerf is closed below you, you got her made. You know all of the tricks, and could teach me! I'm just rambling on a rainy Saturday :cheers: I hate to preach to the choir, but I love to share.

Last edited:

I have had better luck letting my shorts (if any) loose on the butt first. It's more walking but worth it to me. I hate it when a signature tree or log gets less than white glove treatment! I hear ya bud.

Latest posts

Back