paint em up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good idea. Man, when it is 90 degrees out it is hard to keep safety clothing on and eye protection gets steamed up. If you had a booth and a/c it would all be a pleasure. (relatively speaking).

Here is a pict of the next candidate for improvement. It is currently getting an engine rebuild.

Couple of fenders, then a quick makeover. We use this truck for a lot of things. It pulls the mini skids, small stump grinder, small sprayer, runs around on a golf course, etc
attachment.php

Couple of new fenders, $35. in paint, $2700. engine rebuild, $500. paint job.

This truck gets used a lot so it deserved a little tlc.
attachment.php

Couple of new fenders, $35. in paint, $2700. engine rebuild, $500. paint job.

This truck gets used a lot so it deserved a little tlc.
attachment.php

That color, man. It just hurts. Is that an old diesel or a 22R?

That color, man. It just hurts. Is that an old diesel or a 22R?

You know Blakes, they notice it. They tell me that. Besides it is an off the shelf product, not mixed (been down that road before).

It is a 22RE, but was bored over and now we got some power.

I am wondering if it would carry the Dingo and grapple instead of pulling it.

Any opinion? It is an 87 Yota Delux which I think it has a little more capacity.

PS....don't know how that repeat pict got in there

You know Blakes, they notice it. They tell me that. Besides it is an off the shelf product, not mixed (been down that road before).

It is a 22RE, but was bored over and now we got some power.

I am wondering if it would carry the Dingo and grapple instead of pulling it.

Any opinion? It is an 87 Yota Delux which I think it has a little more capacity.

PS....don't know how that repeat pict got in there

I'd try and put it on there but it'd probably squat quite a bit. We use 'yotas for everything here. Pullin' the stumper, skiddin' logs, climbing stupid hills for our campsite and they perform quite well at that stuff but weight is a bit of an issue. For example, we have an annual party we attend in PA on memorial day and we bring the most redneck version of a beer truck imaginable. This year we filled the bed of my brother's '91 with 3 half kegs and ice. In a tarp. Seriously, we filled the whole bed with ice. It went down the road but boy, was she squattin'. I don't know what that load weighed or what a dingo's weight is but I can't imagine them being too far off. We've also had my partner's packed full of stump grindings towing our little 630B down the road and her ass was hangin' pretty low too. I have no doubt your engine will handle the load ( there's always low range ) but your going to need to beef up them rear springs. That would be a slick little unit though with a dingo in the back.

lways low range ) but your going to need to beef up them rear springs. That would be a slick little unit though with a dingo in the back.
[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinkin'. Man those parties sound like a truckload of fun (pun intended). Wish I was still a lush as I would look you all up.

Adding springs or a helper may be the way to go. We too pull a 630 (a) and a tow behind Bean sprayer and the splitter and the Dingo (2k lbs plus attachment) and just the light Dingo tilt trailer and heap brush on it and take it to the chipper, a conveyor, pull trees over with it, it crawls up the hill like a spider. Too much fun. Last one I had had the name "Datsun" on it.

That's what I was thinkin'. Man those parties sound like a truckload of fun (pun intended). Wish I was still a lush as I would look you all up.

Adding springs or a helper may be the way to go. We too pull a 630 (a) and a tow behind Bean sprayer and the splitter and the Dingo (2k lbs plus attachment) and just the light Dingo tilt trailer and heap brush on it and take it to the chipper, a conveyor, pull trees over with it, it crawls up the hill like a spider. Too much fun. Last one I had had the name "Datsun" on it.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha! Yeah, I'm currently driving a Datsun ( Nissan ) as well and am super envious of my bro's 'yota. I sold him my last one a few year's back. The Datsun's are still a good truck though, just not as bulletproof. My grandfather took his Datsun into the woods in remote Maine at 65 years old, drove 40 miles down a logging road, shot a 450 pound bear and SOMEHOW got it out of there. He's 79 now, deaf as hell but I had the pleasure of working with him this past weekend. He naps too! Kind of guy that will die in his work boots. We've used Toyotas on many jobs, great for sticking a chipper in the woods when chips are blown onsite, nothing better for a stumper IMO, and they work great as firewood carts to get wood out of backyards.

Ha ha! Yeah, I'm currently driving a Datsun ( Nissan ) as well and am super envious of my bro's 'yota. I sold him my last one a few year's back. The Datsun's are still a good truck though, just not as bulletproof. My grandfather took his Datsun into the woods in remote Maine at 65 years old, drove 40 miles down a logging road, shot a 450 pound bear and SOMEHOW got it out of there. He's 79 now, deaf as hell but I had the pleasure of working with him this past weekend. He naps too! Kind of guy that will die in his work boots. We've used Toyotas on many jobs, great for sticking a chipper in the woods when chips are blown onsite, nothing better for a stumper IMO, and they work great as firewood carts to get wood out of backyards.
:cheers:

i think they all look great...can see you coming from 4 blocks away too!

:cheers:

Thanks ArborCARE. Not too easy on the eyes but they all the same color. Today we had the first open Sat. with no rain in sight, humidity low and we slapped a coat on my smaller picker. It was looking real bad.

My GM and I were kidding that after everything is painted it is time to start on the first one again.

I would love to find a guy to kick a grand or so and give him the paint and have him do them but no such luck yet. It was nice to get a semi pro job on the yota tho. They are pro's but I told them to give me a "not real fussy job". They did a lot of stuff I didn't even ask for including spraying the frame and fixing a few pretty significant dents. $500.....can't beat it. But they only have car/pickup sized bay doors.

It would be worth the while going to the website of "Car Craft Magazine", I believe it is carcraft.com. Over the years they have done some fairly in-depth series and articles on how to do your own paint and body work, for us gear-heads that not only like to do our own work but also don't have a ton of money. YES, there is an easy way to use Rust-O-leum but IIRC it involves a fair amount of thin coats with sanding involved after each coat. Either way, definitely worth a check-see over there. Spending $20 on a book on how to paint and do body work is a cheap investment, much like how those of us that don't work on trees for a living rely on a few key books on tree pruning, cutting, and management.

Not to dis any painter but most of the good ones tend to enjoy beer. A LOT of beer. OFTEN. This can lead to them not being able to stay at one job very long. That leads to them not always having enough money to pay rent. As mentioned earlier, talking about needing a painter at a few bars, smaller body shops, car shows, cruises, and motorcycle shops in addition to NAPA and non-chain auto parts stores will yield names or people. May well be worth mentioning it at the local home and auto paint stores. May also wish to call the local VoTech and speak to the painting instructor and see if there is a qualified student or alumni that would be willing and able to do it.

90%-95% of a good, long-lasting paint job is prep. You simply can not be too clean or sand too much.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes by posting in the Pro's room/section here....

It would be worth the while going to the website of "Car Craft Magazine", I believe it is carcraft.com. Over the years they have done some fairly in-depth series and articles on how to do your own paint and body work, for us gear-heads that not only like to do our own work but also don't have a ton of money. YES, there is an easy way to use Rust-O-leum but IIRC it involves a fair amount of thin coats with sanding involved after each coat. Either way, definitely worth a check-see over there. Spending $20 on a book on how to paint and do body work is a cheap investment, much like how those of us that don't work on trees for a living rely on a few key books on tree pruning, cutting, and management.

Not to dis any painter but most of the good ones tend to enjoy beer. A LOT of beer. OFTEN. This can lead to them not being able to stay at one job very long. That leads to them not always having enough money to pay rent. As mentioned earlier, talking about needing a painter at a few bars, smaller body shops, car shows, cruises, and motorcycle shops in addition to NAPA and non-chain auto parts stores will yield names or people. May well be worth mentioning it at the local home and auto paint stores. May also wish to call the local VoTech and speak to the painting instructor and see if there is a qualified student or alumni that would be willing and able to do it.

90%-95% of a good, long-lasting paint job is prep. You simply can not be too clean or sand too much.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes by posting in the Pro's room/section here....

some great points, thanks for posting.

Finally!

From start to finish i put in 5 long days but man was it worth it
This is what i started with. 99 GMC C7500, ex Asplundh truck.
View attachment 295667

I spent a full day degreasing, pressure washing, degreasing and pressure washing again, then scrubing and pressure washing again.
Day 2: Masked everything off and primed everything that was to be painted
View attachment 295668
This is the primer i used:View attachment 295669

Day 3: Masked off areas around what was getting painted black. I did not want black over the primed areas that were getting painted white.
Sprayed black on front bumper, frame, rear boxes, rear bumper and hitch area, and wheels.
View attachment 295670

Day 4: Masked off areas that i just sprayed black, and started shooting the rest of the truck white
View attachment 295671

Day 5: Touched up spots that i missed, spots that werent as glossy as i wanted, waited a few hours and pulled tape, and rolled her out in the sunshine to get a good look. Then i put everything back on the truck that i had taken off.

Final Product:View attachment 295672View attachment 295673

Logo will go on next week or so.
And i apologize but i have no idea how to rotate all these pics.

I also painted the guards that go over the hydro controls black, breaks up the white nicely. Then i replaced the marker lights with new LED's, and the rear lights that are mounted up on the box. New mud flaps that dont say Asplundh. Looks like a professional truck now, i couldnt be much happier. The only down side is the inside of the cab and all the doors are still orange, but i wasnt about to open that can o worms.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back