Partner 5000 floods when pto side is up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi everyone hope you all had a nice Christmas.
It has been awhile since my last post I guess that means all has gone relatively well. We just has a pretty good ice storm up where I live in central Maine. I was in the woods the other day making some tractor tracks for the deer to have a place free of this super hard crust to walk on. I try to keep places connected by tractor tracks from one thicket to another for them during a super hard icing event like we just had the other day.
Anyway I went back today to cut a few Cedar trees for them to eat on. I had one of my 5000's with me the saw runs fine upright and when the recoil side is facing up towards the sky as well. Although when the clutch side is facing skyward the saw starts to flood out and hog up. As I sit here now all I can smell is the saw gas on me, ( kind of like that tho) I can see it spilling out from under the Carb cover slowly seeping over the lower handle assembly.
After a few pulls it will start right up and run fine again until I tilt it clutch up then I will happen again . It is like it starts to run SUPER RICH super fast. I am sure the first thought should probably be crank seal and that may be it. I was wondering If I should check something else though first? Is there anything else that would cause this? I have done seals and bearings before in a different 5000 and I guess I can again, but if you do think it is a seal,....Can I drill and screw into it and pull it out and change the seal that way, rather than pull the case halves apart ? Thanks for your thoughts Jeff.

A bad/leaking crank seal should make it run lean and rev up, not flood. I'd be looking at the carb first, maybe something is stuck open on the metering side and fuel is gravity feeding when it's tipped(?).

I had one a few years back acting similar.. It turned out being in the carb.. I can't remember what I done to solve the problem

I finally remembered. It wasn't the carb . Check the fuel line or the vent line where they pass through the body. They tend to leak raw gas with the PTO side up and it'll draw in the air filter

A bad/leaking crank seal should make it run lean and rev up, not flood. I'd be looking at the carb first, maybe something is stuck open on the metering side and fuel is gravity feeding when it's tipped(?).
Thanks for the reply, yes I think it should rev up too. But it does not if anything it dies out due to " I think too much fuel? " It does not rev not at all.

I will have too look at that , it sounds more like what is happening kind of. I will look that over very good. I am still in hopes others will chime in on this,... more heads are better than one . And all heads are better than mine !! Thanks for the reply Jeff
I finally remembered. It wasn't the carb . Check the fuel line or the vent line where they pass through the body. They tend to leak raw gas with the PTO side up and it'll draw in the air filter

Well it turned out to be the fuel line. It was brand new but the wrong od and fuel was leaking badly around the line and hole it passes through. The leaking gas was being sucked into the carb when tilted pto side up. That in turn caused the saw to flood. Thank you "Skipknot" and ED for your input. I like to hear others opinions and yours was spot on !!!.Thanks again Jeff

Glad you found the problem!

That was sounding just like my Jonsered 830 last fall and I was going to suggest fuel line as I was reading the thread.

Oh, you don't need a problem to post here!:laugh:

Latest posts

Back