parts for Homey 1130!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldwild

oldwild

ArboristSite Operative
I need everyone's help in trying to find parts this weekend for my big "DAWG". The bar was a sprocket tip, but the sprocket was removed and run as a hard tip, defintely spreading alot along the rails, plus the bar is real rough on the tip. The chain measures as a .404, can get the cahin from Bailey's, just unsure of the chain drive count. The drive sprocket has way too much wear (shot!). Have not been able to locate a .404 sprocket tonight for it. Would rather have .404 than 1/2" on the the saw. I need help on a decent bar for this saw, and a sprocket for it. The Bailey's # for the bar is: ORS100SM63, the drive sprocket is an 8 tooth, but with this saw being gear drive, a 7 tooth would work also. Turns out the bar is a Harvester bar for this OLD beast!

oldwild

oldwild

ArboristSite Operative
weime posted a homelite p/n to convert over to .404. Would like to go to .404 due to the availability of bars and chains. I will need other parts for the saw since part of the housing was broke, that mounts the dogs. Too many pieces are missing to just have it welded.

oldwild

oldwild

ArboristSite Operative
I would like to definitely replace the top of the gas tank, looks like it has an epoxy putty sealing a few holes, looking at the IPL's right now at ordretree to try and figure out the other part that I will need to replace the damaged piece that mounts the dogs.

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have the feeling that the .404 spurs ,for gear drives,are a hard item to find .It doesn't seem to make a difference,what make .I have seen a few on e-bay,but most of the time,the seller has not one clue,as to what they are,and advertises accordingly.The 1/2" chipper pops up,from time to time on e-bay,but you have to look for it.A lot of times,the seller has a lot of it,and when first offered the buyers go bonkers and bid it out of site,then as more chain is offered the price drops .I am awaiting a total of 200 drivers,that I got for about the price of .404 .If you are looking for it,just exercise a bit of patience[sometimes hard to do],and you will find it ;)

oldwild

oldwild

ArboristSite Operative
ok, disregard my ignorance, but what would happen if you ran .404 bar and chain on a 1/2" sprocket? How much trouble would this cause? And what?

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
It wouldnt work. the pitch of chain has to be matched with the sprocket, otherwise it wont work well. in other words, what you're asking to do, is like trying to put a 9/16 pitch chain on a 1/4 pitch sprocket.

ray benson
If the bar is a hardnose or a roller nose( no teeth ) you can run any pitch chain that is the right gauge. Your bar is probably .063 gauge.But the chain pitch must match the the sprocket pitch. Mismatching the pitch of the sprocket and chain will cause premature wearing of the sprocket and chain as well as possible chain breakage.

oldwild

oldwild

ArboristSite Operative
if I have a sprocket made, what has to be changed from the 1/2" pitch to the .404? Father in-law is a machinist and I am pretty sure he can make, but what has to be changed for a .404 sprocket?

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's not really a sprocket,per say,but rather a spur.You just simply have to figure the base circle,to accommodate a given amount of "teeth",if you will,of the .404 dimensions .It's just a gear,with pointy teeth .If your father in law is a machinist,he will be able to figure it out,with no problem.It is part # 68,on the attached drawling .Just make it out of steel,that can be hardened,4140,A2 ,O2 etc.If all else fails,get a spur sprocket clutch drum,and use it for the dimensions.If an old barnyard mechanic,like me can make one,it would be a breeze for a skilled machinist :)

oldwild

oldwild

ArboristSite Operative
father in-law seems he can machine it down to .404. I will still call around tomorrow and see if I can find a OEM .404. Just in case he can't or won't machine another for me in the next 10 years! :) The rough price per spocket for the minimal amout of material he can buy, plus flame hardening, did not look good, on a price per sprocket!

oldwild

oldwild

ArboristSite Operative
ray, you won't beleive this, but........ I have a .404 coming! Bill actually had an OEM sprocket, but he did not have anymore. He is checking to see if he can find some more, plus I have him looking for 2 more parts on the 1130, the top of the gas tank, and the inside gear housing where the dogs mount. Heck, he is about 2-3 hours away from in Northwest Kansas! :blob2:

oldwild

oldwild

ArboristSite Operative
Talking to him, sounds like he has ALOT of parts. Couldn't get the other 2 parts I needed, but having the OEM sprocket will help alot in the long run, especially being able to run the smaller chain. I did find an IPL that showed the 1130 offered with the 404 as OEM install. Same part number and everything from Homelite!

Latest posts