Parts saw. Did I get hosed???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcinms

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I bought a saw for parts, or not running, from a member here. He said it actually ran and had great compression. Even showed pics of the compression gauge plugged into the jug. Hmm, now I'm not so sure he sent me the same saw that was in the picture he sent... :msp_unsure:
did I get hosed or what? Tell me what you think.

View attachment 279810View attachment 279811View attachment 279812

Is that all you got? ie, is the cylinder not on the saw when you received it? If so, there may have been some confusion and the seller will hopefully make things right... obviously, this saw wouldn't make very good compression without a cylinder. (unless that postal guy got the cylinder...)

Well,
It looks like a fairly large body crankcase with an outboard clutch. I'd say you have been royally screwed and did not do ok on the purchase price.

Well if you paid more than .30 cents a pound you got hosed.:hmm3grin2orange:

I sold a 61 with the K&N filter and top cover for $200 a year or so ago, kind of wish I kept that saw, even though it leaked the oil out when it sat for extended periods.

Let's see. 13.5 lbs. x .30 = 3 times 10, carry the .5 over, now add the 3 again, divide by 2...annnhh, I got hosed. :msp_laugh:

I pulled the carb and muffler off to make sure it wasn't stopped up before I ran it and have been wiping it down a bit. Thing is immaculate. :msp_w00t:
Take a look inside the cylinder above the intake port, looking through the ex. port. Crosshatch looks like it was built yesterday..

View attachment 279836View attachment 279837

Piston looks like new through the intake port

View attachment 279838

Well if you paid more than .30 cents a pound you got hosed.:hmm3grin2orange:

I sold a 61 with the K&N filter and top cover for $200 a year or so ago, kind of wish I kept that saw, even though it leaked the oil out when it sat for extended periods.
This saw makes two 1989 300th anniv. 61s that I have. The other one is well used. It cuts great for what it is. I pulled it down and did a MM and a 70% ex. port last year. With a new Husky ring the thing really wants to pull. It leaked oil like that until I pulled the oil pump apart and cleaned the oil seal around the pump housing tube. It doesn't leak nearly as much now, just a drip every now and then and would prolly stop leaking altogether with a new seal there.

Ha!

Well, I bought a saw for parts, or not running, from a member here. He said it actually ran and had great compression. Even showed pics of the compression gauge plugged into the jug. Hmm, now I'm not so sure he sent me the same saw that was in the picture he sent... :msp_unsure:
did I get hosed or what? Tell me what you think.

View attachment 279810View attachment 279811View attachment 279812

You got me! Good one. You've got about 10 guys planning some payback. Keep yer eyes peeled! :buttkick:

You got me! Good one. You've got about 10 guys planning some payback. Keep yer eyes peeled! :buttkick:

:msp_laugh: I will....you got my back? Haha.

I know how we all like pics on here, so I got about 50 or so to put up. :wink2:
What was funny was when I bought that 266xp that is pictured in the first post, the guy told me it would run. He says, " it runs" , I cranked it up for my brother about six months ago. Lol. Yeah, right before he threw it back out in the yard. He called me from my Craigslist ad wanting to know if I was interested in a 266xp bow saw that runs. Started out wanting $75 for it. I told him I wouldn't go over $50 if it was in running condition. We made a deal on the phone and he was to meet me halfway, about 25 miles.

I nearly laughed in the guy's face when I saw it. He's a retired pulpwood logger with a saw that hasn't seen maintenance in over a decade and sat unused under a rickety shed for half that time. :dizzy:

He pulled the start cord and said, this saw runs. Yeah, not today. Lol! I gave him $30 for it and went on about my bizness. The chain, clutch and drive sprocket were just replaced and in pretty good shape. Nice and free, and surprisingly very little rust on it.

After sloshing all the water out of the oil tank and some out of the crankcase, I got it fired up and ran it for a few minutes. It had some carb issues, but had compression, so I figured the p/c was good.

The good; I ended up with a good top end, chain, clutch, bow bar, flywheel, ignition, tank, muffin, starter housing, oil pump..... The bad; needs crank bearings and seals and one of the cover holes is busted out of the case. It could be a good runner, but I have a 61 that's getting that top end/carb.

Here's some more teasers of the "new" 61.

View attachment 279863View attachment 279864

Worst part of the case paint.

View attachment 279865

More goodness

View attachment 279866View attachment 279867

Back