Parts washer fluid recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an older thread but I'm considering buying a parts washer. I've read what folks have said about pressure washers, hose-em down etc. Usually I disassemble a saw and clean each piece (flywheel, screws, handles etc.). I have used a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water, Awesome cleaner and some brushes for longer than I'd like to admit. I also use compressed air and some brake cleaner on some parts that are filled with saw-hash. Has anyone else got any new info or hindsight they would like to add to this information? Thanks in advance!

Simple Green and Patience

I know this is an older thread but I'm considering buying a parts washer. I've read what folks have said about pressure washers, hose-em down etc. Usually I disassemble a saw and clean each piece (flywheel, screws, handles etc.). I have used a 5 gallon bucket of HOT water, Awesome cleaner and some brushes for longer than I'd like to admit. I also use compressed air and some brake cleaner on some parts that are filled with saw-hash. Has anyone else got any new info or hindsight they would like to add to this information? Thanks in advance!

I have had really good luck letting extremely dirty things, chainsaw and outboard parts, bike chains etc. soak in simple green. It seem like if I have the patience to let it soak for a day or two I am always amazed at how well it comes off as opposed to a shorted soak. As some suggested above I am going to pick up a used crock pot at good will and try that to expedite the soaking process. That's why I love this site, little nuggets like that, I never would have thought to use a crock pot and you can usually pick a used one up for like $1 :msp_biggrin:

K1, but looking for ideas.

crock pot is interesting idea.
a larger turkey roaster might work and have more space. I assume using the water based fluids in the heated pans.

K1, but looking for ideas.

crock pot is interesting idea.
a larger turkey roaster might work and have more space. I assume using the water based fluids in the heated pans.
Yep.....

Note 1: the lye based purple power/simple green/mean gream/gresed lightening stuff; I have used it straight in a warm crock pot and it turned powder coat burnt carbon to cake icing consistency in a couple hours. However, it will discolor/darken Aluminum. I don't care about cosmetics, but if you want a shiny cylinder under the cover.....dilute it. Same with lye oven cleaner. I have never had it harm the metal, just darken it. Steel, no problems.

You can trade shiny shorter applications for elbow grease. I can live with the dark gray and rinsing off.

Note 2: Been playing with a fish air pump to vibrate the crock pot and bubble air through the water. (I saw it on the internet, so it must be true) Honestly, don't know if it makes any difference:dunno:

What will clean chain after cutting eucalyptus. I am not using a washer.

On another thread, the subject of Osage Orange tree gum removal from saw chains came up. One poster said he uses a small squirt bottle filled with diesel fuel, and squirts the chain as it gums up during use. He said it cleans it right up. :msp_confused:

I've been using mineral spirits myself, but its gonna be time for a change soon. Sams club has a purple degreaser that I normally use in a spray bottle and it works good. of course it's 6.58/gal and the "parts washer solvent" from menards which actually says "white solvent" is 44.95/5 gal. Maybe when I get an us cleaner I'll save that solvent and use in there. I usually line a big funnel with a coffee filter or something of the sort and filter it out every 6 months or so.

As some suggested above I am going to pick up a used crock pot at good will and try that to expedite the soaking process. . . . you can usually pick a used one up for like $1

I have one I purchased years ago for bicycle parts. As noted, some of the more gentle, water-based cleaners work better when warm (110*F is what the commercial parts washers use) and allowed to soak. I have not used it with the 'Purple' cleaners, as they are usually pretty fast at room temperature, and because I don't want to put vapors into the air that I don't want to breathe.

A few other notes of caution:

- Don't 'space out' when using them. I had some parts 'cooking' that I forgot about for more than a day. The water-based cleaner evaporated. A HD timer might be appropriate if your appliance does not have one built-in (mine doesn't).

- Don't use with flammable solvents (might be obvious, but . . . ).

- And don't leave it on a wooden work bench - had a 'near miss' with that as well. Now I have a large piece of floor tile (12 x 12 - about $1 at any home center) that I use as a safety trivet under the heating appliance. A scrap of cement tile backer board works as well.

Philbert

I've been using the TSC stuff in my spirits-based washer for over a year and like it a lot for several reasons:

Works great.

Low odor.

Very high flash point.

Doesn't discolor parts after prolonged soaking.

Very low evaporation rate.

After parts come out of the parts washer they go into a wash tub of Blue Dawn and then get a final clean water rinse and are ready for reassembly to get all dirty again!

As for disposal of the solvent itself, I re-use it like someone else mentioned and toss the spooge from the bottom of the tub into the brush pile and light er up.

Latest posts

Back