Pawn shop funnies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
I don't know why I really ever go into this one pawn store but I figure patience might pay off:bang:

I see a MS250 and a 2186 Jonsered. They have had the Jonsered for some time. It looks nice and has great compression. Same goes for the 250.

So I ask them bottom dollar on the saws. He won't come off asking price on 250 $200 and $700 for the Jonsered. I know darn well they probably don't have $50 in the 250 and maybe $150 in the 2186.

The guy pulls the 250 out of the holder and grunts and huff about what a big saw it is as it has a 18" bar it acting like he is holding a MS660 and his hands. He goes on and on what a worker the 2186 is. Both great saws but not even budging on price. He has had the 2186 for nine months at least. The 250 no idea. He has had a Dolmar 3410T and Poulan 3400 (clearly scored piston, no compression) He is asking two bills for the Dolly and buck and a half for the 3400 that clearly couldn't run unless falling out of an airplane.

I wasn't expecting to get a free ride on prices, expected a little negotiation to go on. I would have bit on the 250 for $150. He made it clear he didn't want to sell them to me:(

The whole time he is talking he is acting like it's my first day looking at a chainsaw:msp_sneaky:

went into a pawn shop one day and found a wild thing for $170 and the guy told me how it was VERY powerful and how it was a pro model IT DIDNT EVEN SAY POULAN PRO!!!

Yeah all the pro saws always say pro:laugh:

Pretty sure this was an owner. He clearly had the authority to price stuff. He knew exactly what they had in them from his demeanor and he was no kid. He has been in there every time I have gone in there. It is a private pawn shop and they must have federal license as well as they sell hand guns so they must move some products. Just not saws from what I can see:bang:

The other pawn shop in our area I have had great luck with are very happy to deal with a cash customer and will go downward on price to move product:rock:

A friend of mine owns a pawn shop.

He had $200 "invested" in an MS170... Someone had sabotaged the gas with dish soap, cut a car door with the bar and chain, and it was literally so dirty with burned on bar oil/wood powder mix it took hours to clean. I owed him a favor so I got the saw running and cleaned up and sharpened... The stupid thing would still not idle even after a total tear down, clean and tune, but it started up nicely, cut well and and looked good, contrary to what it was before.

The pawn business is tough, I wouldn't want to be into it... You have to make fast decisions, take advantage of peoples desperation while they are still desperate, but you also have to know what you are doing or you can lose money fast. Even paying pennies on the dollar for junk is paying too much!

This place is most likely one of the oldest pawn shops in town I'm guessing. If they haven't learned by now they never will. One time while in there asking about saws they immediately referenced eBay for value so they know how to use a computer.

Latest posts

Back