Which saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon the pun, but I'm going against the grain on this one...I'm a fan of 20" bars on the 50cc pro saws. I'm usually using the small saws for brushing/limbing/dicing up large branches for handling, so I'm not necessarily dogged in with the saw. The 20" allows me a more upright work position. I can even bury the bar in softwoods, but at that point, I'm using a larger saw.

I took down 2 large dead ash trees and had them all sawed up in firewood sized pieces within 3 hours yesterday. I really hate all the ash trees are being wiped out around here. Hopefully they don't go the way of the American Chestnut from the beetles

I used my MS170, MS261 and MS461 today cleaning up ice storm damage. The 261 saw the most use... the 170 was used to reduce the brush. The 461 was used for everything from about 12-27". I had recently detail cleaned, serviced, and replaced parts on the saws as needed; serviced the bars; and sharpened the chains. All the chains were hungry and the 261 and 461 pulled very well. First time in a while all the saws were in such a fine state! That said a nice MS462 would go well with the OP's new MS261. 😉

Hell, I still run my old Shreveport built Poulan 3400 and 4000's with both bar and bow (imagine that)and quite enjoy the power and efficiency of these old machines. Heavy yes, tough as hell, yes. Automatic and manual oiling for that little bit extra lube when needed. I also use my 15 year old ms290 quite often. My stock and modded Husky 272's are a model of efficiency and take the brunt of the bigger stuff. Still use a mac 10 quite a bit again with both bar and bow. Love the feel and efficiency of my old ms440 but hate the lack of fuel efficiency. My main, go to saw's these days seems to be my muffler modded Echo cs590 (purchased due to curiosity for $175.00) and an old 50th anniversary Husky 50 golden anniversary. 20" on the Echo and 16" on the Husky. Both crank real easy and both cut fast while sipping fuel. In brushing and bucking pine tops nothing beats a bow properly operated but they are definitely not for the inexperienced. Only one way to get that though.
Get the very best saw you can afford, service it obsessively and it will definitely provide a lifetime of amusement, pride and joy. Nearly all of mine were purchased new or nearly new and the reference to the mac10 might just give away my age.

I have a couple of mc cullough saws i got for free. Cleaned them up and they are short on power but work ok.. when i buy a bigger saw it will only be a pro saw. My snowblowers and tractors are all from around 1986. Commercial stuff and big. But older stuff. They suit me fine

All I’m seeing is a bunch of damn lies

Dull pro saws and sharp homeowner saws

Hah

My 261 could have a shoestring wrapped around the sprocket and bar and cut faster than some damn homeowner or farm and ranch saw

And if it’s bigger than 16” just skip to the 461/462 like the 3-4 wise men before me have said

one saw
50cc-60cc
If could only have one Id keep my Jonsered 2260. A pro 60cc saw. PHO weighs around 13lbs I run a 20inch and a 16inch bar on it. Light and easy to maneuver. And covers most bases a homeowner needs for felling and firewood.

My point is the upgrade to a pro saw costs money. Do I need that upgrade? If not then why spend it? To impress you guys? No offense but that’s not even close to a priority for me.

What if you already have a bunch of food, and want a pro saw even though you don’t need a pro saw? Then buy MORE food and get the saw you need instead of the saw you want.

Nobody comes here regretting their pro saw purchase. When the bank is taking everything they own coming here to lament unnecessary extravagances won’t be a priority. Harley. Hot tub. In ground pool. Hawaii vacations. Diesel super duty as a commuter vehicle. Bass boats. Do you need it or do you not?
Might be over thinking this.
A Poulan Pro 42cc met my needs for sometime and I owe that saw cuz it was abused it. I learned how to use a chainsaw with it. from bad mix to hitting dirt (that's why I eventually rebuilt it and still use it) but I am happy to own a couple pro saws now. Climbed the ladder slowly. went with a farm and ranch next, and now my 2nd pro saw. over the span of probably 12 years. Its a hobby I enjoy.

Bank never came calling. :)

I mean, I’ve Only ever cut up maybe 5 trees that needed more than a 16” bar. All of them could have been done with a 20 (without obnoxious dogs) or a 25 with them.
That doesn’t mean I don’t have a 36” B&C and a saw to pull it. I got people on the internet to impress.

If only I had known I could pull a 50”+ with a husky 460…

If you are comfortable with your Stihl dealer, I would give them your business. They will be the one to help you out with parts and service down the road. With your largest logs being 20”, I bet you could get by with a MS261. They are a lot of bang for your buck and are a pro saw. If you are certain that a pro saw is out of the question, the next best would be a farm ranch saw like a MS291. The advice above about not having a saw too big is good. If you do end up with a wood stove, a little bigger saw that gets run more might be a good choice. Go with a MS362 or MS400. More money, but a lot more saw.
Came here to say this. A 261 should last forever doing what you need it to do, or at least until someone decides to steal it, It’s my go to. If the trees you’re cutting take a 20” bar you’ll be fine, it will handle it on .325 chain all day long. I like the light weight, huge factor when cutting brush. Mine wears a 16” bar and junk chain 3/4 of the time for this reason, with a 16” bar it’s like cutting with a light saber.

I like 60 cc or so, also, for general work.

I made a webpage with pro saw models on it from various manufacturers.
Choose one of those on that list of the appropriate size and be happy.

It is a link in my signature.

I like 60 cc or so, also, for general work.

I made a webpage with pro saw models on it from various manufacturers.
Choose one of those on that list of the appropriate size and be happy.

It is a link in my signature.
If I was a stud I’d go after a 60cc for sure but my arms turn to jello after handling anything a 60cc class saw all day. Especially clearing brush

Back