Pawn Shop Husky 545

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as recommendations go, I would echo what many others have reported with respect to "hot starts", especially when working in hot weather. If I shut the saw down hot, and then need to restart again soon, it can be important to follow their recommended procedure of moving the control to choke on, then off again, to set the throttle to fast idle before starting.

Nice find, really pleased for you, hope you put the 20 inch bar on something bigger,
I would run 13 on that saw if I had bigger saws, would be great for limbing
small stuff, a 15 if you never need smaller would sing along nicely too.
Never seen one of them in real life, looks like an outboard clutch.

And no AT to do your head in, happy times.
Oh, yes it is an outboard clutch. Which is fine for a smaller saw with a spur sprocket that doesn't wear very fast. But I think I really hate it on this saw with the rim sprocket that I need to swap.
Guess I'll have to make a tool from a socket I believe is how they do it. And then hopefully it'll come off easy with my little 1/4" impact.

I really love that it has a mag clutch cover though!

Th
Oh, yes it is an outboard clutch. Which is fine for a smaller saw with a spur sprocket that doesn't wear very fast. But I think I really hate it on this saw with the rim sprocket that I need to swap.
Guess I'll have to make a tool from a socket I believe is how they do it. And then hopefully it'll come off easy with my little 1/4" impact.

I really love that it has a mag clutch cover though!
Looking at the pictures of this saw shows it is a rim sprocket,
surely that’s the better option as it’s cheaper to change setups.
It’s a pain though to have to use a tool or two to change it over.

The correct tool to remove the clutch is available at any Husky dealer for like $7. With an impact you can swap rims just as quick as an outboard setup. As a bonus you get to inspect and lube the drum bearing.

The correct tool to remove the clutch is available at any Husky dealer for like $7. With an impact you can swap rims just as quick as an outboard setup. As a bonus you get to inspect and lube the drum bearing.
Thanks! I had no idea there was a tool made for it.

The tool would be convenient. I use a hammer and my oldest medium-size flathead. A piston stop isn't needed if I pull the starter around until the piston is compressing before I smack it.

The tool would be convenient. I use a hammer and my oldest medium-size flathead. A piston stop isn't needed if I pull the starter around until the piston is compressing before I smack it.
I suspect the tool and an impact would change your life. Just insert and "zip" she's off.

Well, I couldn't find a Husky dealer conveniently located. But found the clutch tool online for ten bucks to my door.
Won't be here until next week.

My 18" chain looks like maybe just an ordinary .325 advanced cut. Has codes 95 G72 EQ and 25.
So gonna either get an 18" bar to match or a 16" bar and chain combo.
My trip to the outlet store wasn't successful in getting any bargain bars and chains today. All they had was a couple of 10" Echo bars.

Sold the 490 after a year and made $10 to cover the cost of the new 545.

Still have the 491s as a backup 50cc saw for the moment.

Stopped in another pawn shop today and found this axe20191105_152408.jpg
Gonna have to sell another saw this week so I can go back and get it.

Back