Pawnshop finds / why chainsaws hold value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very hard to find stihls pr huskys in pawn shops in my area if you do they are way over priced, all you see are craftsman and poulans. This one time though a pawn shop was moving to a new building and had a wall full of chainsaws not worked on for 5 bucks as well with weedeaters and mowers and other stuff, ended up buying about 8 of them that had good compression and fixed them as projects

Some times there no rhyme or reason for what people do, the 170 will be 250 dollars and 200 T be 125 dollars for a example

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The PSs around here might confuse the homeowner & pro Stihl models, but VERY rarely will they under-price (or even price fairly based on condition) a Stihl saw. Over the last 12 years I recall only three 'deals' on Stihl saws. One was a MS 200T for $199.00 (at the time I wasn't into chainsaws), the MS 361 that I purchased, and a very clean MS 460 for $449.00 (I didn't buy it, it eventually sold, but I did get a great deal on a Husqvarna 346XP at the same PS).

@Guido Salvage

Per your posts in this thread, and others, you manage to make some very good PS deals. Are your purchases made mostly at large chain stores, small chain stores, or independent ones? A combination of the three?

I ask because in many of the shops around "offers" are rejected as though they were requests for free sexual favors.

It seems like the pawn shops around me over price Stihl, Husky/Jonsered, Echo and Dolmar, and practically give away anything else. I've seen tons of Poulan, craftsman and no name stuff sell pretty good around here.

This may qualify as a U Suck, see below:

The other day I walked into the local TSC and a practically new looking Jonsered was in the clearance area without a price tag. So I asked how much it was, the manager said it was returned about a year ago and didn't run right, she said I could buy it for $100.00, as is. I said sold. It is a CS2255, I'm not sure what didn't run right about it but I fueled it up and started cutting with it and I can't find a problem. For about 2 seconds I thought about taking it to a pawn shop but I decided it fits right in my stable of saws.

@Guido Salvage

Per your posts in this thread, and others, you manage to make some very good PS deals. Are your purchases made mostly at large chain stores, small chain stores, or independent ones? A combination of the three?

I ask because in many of the shops around "offers" are rejected as though they were requests for free sexual favors.

I pass 8 pawn shops between my job and home and visit 7 of them on a regular basis (one is on the other side of the road and hard to get to). 3 are regional outfits, 2 are local multi location outfits (with one specializing in jewelry) and the rest are mom and pop. There are 4 others on the other side of town I try to get to every 4-6 weeks and a couple in a town 20 miles east I hit about 4 times a year. There are lots of junk saws and overpriced ones, but I seem to be able to make deals.

I would like to find a big bore saw 066 or something like that to fix up. I keep searching craigslist and eBay but even almost junk saw hey want a lot of money.

I saw a MS361 the other day, it looked like heck but they wanted $399.00.

I'll keep searching.

I would like to find a big bore saw 066 or something like that to fix up. I keep searching craigslist and eBay but even almost junk saw hey want a lot of money.

I'll keep searching.

Stihl's hold their value like no other saw, not even Husky. Around here, if they are in good running conditions, expect to pay them about half as what the equivalent new model goes for. Example: a 290 or 310 will go for €350, about half as much as a 291. A 660 will go for €700, half as much as 661. I know it sounds overpriced, but these are standard values. Seller may drop €50 or so from asking price but haggling will get you not far because people know what these things go for.

I often joke the best investment is buying a non-running Stihl, fix it with FarmerTec parts and NTN bearings and sell it locally.

A few years back I found a similar deal on a MS 361, $349.00 asking price IIRC. It caught my eye because the b&c were in great shape while the side covers looked really rough. After making a package deal and getting it home, I took off all the covers. The plastic underneath has almost no discoloration (which is usual for the Stihl cream color), the metal parts were very clean, very little saw dust or chips, etc. The piston was prisitine throught the exhaust port, still had very clear machining marks. I think that saw got "bounced around" a lot, but wasn't used very often.

Stihl's hold their value like no other saw, not even Husky. Around here, if they are in good running conditions, expect to pay them about half as what the equivalent new model goes for. Example: a 290 or 310 will go for €350, about half as much as a 291. A 660 will go for €700, half as much as 661. I know it sounds overpriced, but these are standard values. Seller may drop €50 or so from asking price but haggling will get you not far because people know what these things go for.

I often joke the best investment is buying a non-running Stihl, fix it with FarmerTec parts and NTN bearings and sell it locally.

In your area used Stihl saws in good running condition bring one half the cost of a new one?
In pawn shops?
You're lucky (ignoring the retail price gouging in Canada).

Around here the prices for used Stihl usually range from 80% to 110%. Yes, some pawn shops will actually price a used Stihl saw above the going no-haggling dealership new saw price. A ran-hard-and-often-beat-to-hell Stihl MIGHT be priced at one-half of retail.

In your area used Stihl saws in good running condition bring one half the cost of a new one?
In pawn shops?
You're lucky (ignoring the retail price gouging in Canada).

Around here the prices for used Stihl usually range from 80% to 110%. Yes, some pawn shops will actually price a used Stihl saw above the going no-haggling dealership new saw price. A ran-hard-and-often-beat-to-hell Stihl MIGHT be priced at one-half of retail.

We haven't got pawn shops here. Prices are those of private (non eBay) sales. I would like to comment on dealership prices but I've never seen a dealership (any brand) with a used Stihl saw for sale. Even the local, very large Stihl dealership has never any in stock: they have a few "courtesy" saws to lend customers who really need to work while the saw is being repaired but nothing more. Last time I was there they had a couple of very old Echo's, an equally ancient Shindaiwa and little more.

Pawn shops in your area sound like motorcycle dealerships in mine, which sell used models at new retail price minus sale tax and then lament nobody's buying! :laugh:

We haven't got pawn shops here. Prices are those of private (non eBay) sales. I would like to comment on dealership prices but I've never seen a dealership (any brand) with a used Stihl saw for sale. Even the local, very large Stihl dealership has never any in stock: they have a few "courtesy" saws to lend customers who really need to work while the saw is being repaired but nothing more. Last time I was there they had a couple of very old Echo's, an equally ancient Shindaiwa and little more.

Pawn shops in your area sound like motorcycle dealerships in mine, which sell used models at new retail price minus sale tax and then lament nobody's buying! :laugh:

My understanding is Stihl places many restrictions on their dealers (a subject that has beat to death here on AS), which includes no used Stihl saws or parts. In my 11 years on AS very few members have reported being able to get anything Stihl used from their authorized Stihl dealers.

IME it's not just Stihl, every authorized Echo dealer near me has shot me down when I asked about buying trashed Echo saws that the customer either never picked up or traded in on a new saw. They'll gladly order a new CS-440 top end for me, but won't even check for a used one that is headed for the dumpster.

My understanding is Stihl places many restrictions on their dealers (a subject that has beat to death here on AS), which includes no used Stihl saws or parts. In my 11 years on AS very few members have reported being able to get anything Stihl used from their authorized Stihl dealers.

IME it's not just Stihl, every authorized Echo dealer near me has shot me down when I asked about buying trashed Echo saws that the customer either never picked up or traded in on a new saw. They'll gladly order a new CS-440 top end for me, but won't even check for a used one that is headed for the dumpster.

It's interesting because this same aforementioned dealer has rows and rows of cardboard boxes filled with used Stihl parts or even "spare hulks" built over 40+ years in business. Chances are they have some genuine Contra parts in there... I am sure many here would love to take a peek in that place. Very very old style.
I don't know if they do this "under the table", local policy is different or Stihl has simply granted them the favor because they've been in business for so long and sold them thousands of saws.

I've never tried buying anything used from the local Echo dealership but now that you mention it I've only seen Tanaka's there.

I have no doubt that "very good customers" are able to buy "unauthorized" used items from authorized dealers as long as the dealer is making plenty of money for the authorizing company, and it's not flagrant. And the parties involved are wise not to discuss it in an open internet forum ;).

I have seen good 'deals' on saws at garage and estate sales, but the pricing on most saws at pawn shops is discouraging.

A few years back I saw an 028 that was absolutely crushed (every part looked broken, like it had been run over) sitting on a back shelf with no price on it. I thought that if it was cheap, maybe some AS member might be interested in a small surviving part or 2. Brought it to the counter, the guy looked up something on his computer, and marked it $299. Not even worth a reply.

Philbert

I got a beat to dam death 025 that was just ph for 50 cleaned it was a decent unit sold to a friend for 80 and only saw 40 dollars from him

I don't even try deal with a shop that sells alot of tools because that means fools most of the time lol

So, I was recently perusing the local classified when I found an Echo CS-600 for sale.
The saw was used but not abused: classic average firewood saw with a slightly dull chain thrown in the garage without being cleaned/looked after after the last use and dragged out to make a bit of quick cash.
What set it apart from your old average CS-600 was the price: the guy wanted a non-negotiable €700 for it. Which is exactly the same what the local Echo dealership (which I know well) asks for a brand new, still in the box CS-600.

Too many people sniff glue these days... :rolleyes:

Back