Peavey or Cant hook?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Logrite Peavey

Does anyone out there who owns a 60" Logrite peavey think that I would regret buying it? I think the timberjacks are nice however, I'm leaning to the peavey because of the durable aluminum construction:cheers: . Thanks.

Couple of things: If you're felling a big tree, put some loose branches across the path where you are hoping to drop it. When it does drop, make sure you get into your safety zone fast, because it may bounce a bit, or the branches might break and fly out under the weight of the trunk.

If the tree is already dropped and its on level ground, watch your chips as you buck down through it. As you come into the bark layer at the end, the chips will be smaller and darker, plus you'll sense the saw cutting quicker - time to stop. At that point, you can usually snap the round loose, as the only thing holding it is the bark. On larger rounds I prefer the cant, but I admit to not having much experience with a peavey.

Also, make sure the round is going to stay where it's at and not take off on you once you cut it. I use wedges as it is, but also make a point to cut uphill of the trunk (obvious to most), and or wedge another round up against the trunk to hold the round(s) in place.

If its humanly possible, I roll the round to the truck and up a set of ramps that I have, but if its just too heavy, I'll take the saw and quarter the rounds on the spot. Remember to lift with the legs and not the back!

If its humanly possible, I roll the round to the truck and up a set of ramps that I have, but if its just too heavy, I'll take the saw and quarter the rounds on the spot. Remember to lift with the legs and not the back!

Great points here! I can't count the number of people who have questioned me on how i get rounds three feet + across in the back of my truck or trailer. I use a couple 2x6s or the tailgate from the trailer to make a ramp and just roll the rounders up into the back. Be careful..... but this is so much easier than quartering or halving then lifting the pieces. Strange how more people can't figure this out. As always.... stay within your ability and be safe out there ! :greenchainsaw:

Great points here! I can't count the number of people who have questioned me on how i get rounds three feet + across in the back of my truck or trailer. I use a couple 2x6s or the tailgate from the trailer to make a ramp and just roll the rounders up into the back. Be careful..... but this is so much easier than quartering or halving then lifting the pieces. Strange how more people can't figure this out. As always.... stay within your ability and be safe out there ! :greenchainsaw:
I have one suggestion that I use on those big (up to 300 lb) rounds:
1) Buy a hand winch for about $15 or so from Harbor Freight or TSC.
2) Now make a rear hardwood rack, L-shaped cross section using 1 x 4s, and bolt 2 x 2 hardwood posts about 18" long that drop deep into your truck bed's wells. Beef these up as need be to fill the well.
3) Bolt the winch to the center of the horizontal rack, crank oriented horizontal.
4) Wrap the cable around the big rounds and drag them up the ramps to the tailgate on their flat side. The winch makes it easy.
5) Once on the tailgate, you can then slide the rounds underneath the rear rack and into the truck's bed.

Piece of cake (and I know that it works). I made my winch setup to mate with the side racks shown in my avatar. The winch rack temporarily replaces the removable rear rack.

I figure I have to then handle them on the other end also. If I can't load them, I probably can'ty handle them at home, so saw them down if necessary in the the woods. Leaves the mess there, but takes a lot more time. I also don't have a place to unload easily and split big pieces, so that makes a difference in my situation.

how's about a pic?

2) Now make a rear hardwood rack, L-shaped cross section using 1 x 4s, and bolt 2 x 2 hardwood posts about 18" long that drop deep into your truck bed's wells. Beef these up as need be to fill the well.
3) Bolt the winch to the center of the horizontal rack, crank oriented horizontal.
4) Wrap the cable around the big rounds and drag them up the ramps to the tailgate on their flat side. The winch makes it easy.
5) Once on the tailgate, you can then slide the rounds underneath the rear rack and into the truck's bed.

Piece of cake (and I know that it works). I made my winch setup to mate with the side racks shown in my avatar. The winch rack temporarily replaces the removable rear rack.

Like to see a pix of that setup Doc. Handy if your working alone.

Nice Ranger by the way! I have one too (Tonto) and the old bugger's been around since 86' and still going strong although lately it's just been a plow truck for the driveway. Gettin a little "tender" as they say body wise.

I have a cant dog in the truck at all times (50yr old wood handle) and the timberjack is a handy piece for bucking firewood logs in the field or by the splitter. Some of the timberjacks you can just pull a pin and it's a cant dog.

Last edited:
PIC of Winch Rack

how's about a pic?

You got it. I'll try to set up a separate post with two or three Pics. Thing is, I split all the big billet rounds I had last fall, but I'll try to dig one up so that I can show the winch rack in action.

I also built my own ramps for sliding, but any set of ramps would work--even 6' long 2 by 10's. My ramps are light and will fit in the back of the extended truck cab.

This idea is a terrific back saver. In the past, I used to build "stairs" out of smaller logs in order to get the big billets on board, but that's now a thing of the past. The other option is a small crane that bolts to the truck, but that seems to be a permanent $100 installation.

I have one of the Northern Tool timberjack and it is too small won't handle logs nore that about 14" it seems

I also built my own ramps for sliding, but any set of ramps would work--even 6' long 2 by 10's. My ramps are light and will fit in the back of the extended truck cab.

This idea is a terrific back saver. In the past, I used to build "stairs" out of smaller logs in order to get the big billets on board, but that's now a thing of the past. The other option is a small crane that bolts to the truck, but that seems to be a permanent $100 installation.

Yep I've looked at a couple of those at Northern or Harbor Freight?

I like the simplicity of the winch/ramp slide. One could use a boat winch (off the trailor) or the like and actually it's the same principle. Just a matter of the mounting it too the front of the pickup bed or there abouts. I'll wait and see Doc's pix.:popcorn:

rolling a big one

I've got 2 cants, 4' and a 2', and a 5' pevy,(wood handles, older then dirt) most of the time i just use the cants. For the bigger stuff ,say 40"+, I've been known to drive a railroad spike in till its solid, then either the winch ,or just hook a chain to it and roll it over till I can finish the cuts. I do use smaller pieces ,that i've already cut, to block up a log, I try not to take alot of extra stuff with me. Now saying that , if you were to look at the inside of the landcruiser, you would know that I've got some of everthing . and not very often, do I need to add anything. As to the chunks, I mostly cut 15-18" thick. I have had to either cut or split 1/2's and 1/4's. Yes ,I do work mostly by myself, and Yes ,untill i started hanging out at AS ,I never give it much thought , but I've done just about ever dumb thing, that your NOT supose to do with a chainsaw. and have been lucky enough to still have all my parts in one piece. Grin, now what was this thread about........

Latest posts

Back