Penny Pinchers Corner..post your uglies!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Ha! I thought this might be fun. Show how frugal you are by burning the uglies in your heater. I'll start. We always see the nice wood, the scores, the braggers..how about that "other stuff"? I'm cheap! I ain't wasting it, even if it won't stack, or refuses to split, or is half rotten, I don't care! My wood and I'm a gonna burn it...! Campfires/bonfires don't count, bonafide keep you warm in the house wood.

Been burning stuff that looks like this since we started that cold snap in september. I like to see how long I can hold out before pulling the pretty split wood from the stacks. Shooting to make it to gobbler day before I have to use the "real" wood.

attachment.php

Heatmor 200 got a big enough door to crawl in. I get some in there to level out the bottom, stick some gnarly in there and give her a kick. Those knots burn sweeter'n marshmallows.

Hell, The knots and crotches are the most dense parts of the wood anyway. I have my own, (non-sale), stacks for the winter of course, but whenever I free-hand the bucking (w/o using the Mingo) and end up with pieces too long, if there's a crotch or knot on one end, that's what gets trimmed off. The buyers love the "pretty wood" and I laugh about getting the BEST parts for myself,...:yoyo:

Last edited:
got a pile next to the burn barrel. Was splitting some large maple rounds today with more punk than not. punk will go in the barrel later this season to keep me warm, but it was a lot of work for 2 or three splits

Been burning tons of junk like that myself. Been trying to hold off on the good wood, but man that temp dropped quick!

They are all heat, thankfully this year the new bigger stove takes more of " ugly" wood easier than little stove we had before was a real pain noodling/ trying to bust them by hand!

I stack my firewood 10-15 feet from my owb. The ugglies go in a pile within 2 steps of the owb door so they get burned right away.

Short pieces, odd pieces, twisted crazy splits,, hard, soft, punky, poopy :msp_scared:, none of it matters since my CB6048 is an equal opportunity ash-maker.... :rock:

All my uglies get piled up about 30 feet from our CB6048 stove. I use our front end loader to pick them up from where they were cut at and pile them by the stove. I don't care to mess with them because it is harder to get a lot of them in the stove since they don't stack to good.

IMG_0208.jpg

That pile used to be alot bigger than that. That is all I have been burning lately just to get rid of it. Whenever I get a chance to cut and split more wood, that pile is going to grow. I do also stack some on top of the stacks, I don't like to stack much on top of them.

Last edited:
Mention ugly, knotted, twisted, stringy, irregular, dense crotchwood and the OWB's come out the woodwork. Coal burns good in there, too. One good thing about that prolonged drought is it sure put the cure on my stacks. That stuff is prime this year. Anyone notice the seasons moving up a few weeks, like they did in the spring? I think there is a trend. It isn't December cold, but I'm not gonna be suprised if it snows anytime now.

I stack my firewood 10-15 feet from my owb. The ugglies go in a pile within 2 steps of the owb door so they get burned right away.

Short pieces, odd pieces, twisted crazy splits,, hard, soft, punky, poopy :msp_scared:, none of it matters since my CB6048 is an equal opportunity ash-maker.... :rock:

I do the exact same thing!

I'm with Del, my "uglies" go on top of the stacks, and tossed in the corner when I bring those stacks in. I'll fill the stove with em on weekends, or in the morning, when I don't need to fill as much of the stove as possible. No pics right now, but next time I bring some in I'll snap a pic.

Mention ugly, knotted, twisted, stringy, irregular, dense crotchwood and the OWB's come out the woodwork. Coal burns good in there, too. One good thing about that prolonged drought is it sure put the cure on my stacks. That stuff is prime this year. Anyone notice the seasons moving up a few weeks, like they did in the spring? I think there is a trend. It isn't December cold, but I'm not gonna be suprised if it snows anytime now.

Just the opposite I think, more of a return to "normal" - whatever that is. The last few years, fall has been dragging out into December, heck it never hardly left last year. Most years historically here in WI we can count on snow on the ground within the next 3 weeks, in time for gun deer season, but it's been a warm, brown past half dozen or so years.

I'm with Del, my "uglies" go on top of the stacks, and tossed in the corner when I bring those stacks in. I'll fill the stove with em on weekends, or in the morning, when I don't need to fill as much of the stove as possible. No pics right now, but next time I bring some in I'll snap a pic.

Just the opposite I think, more of a return to "normal" - whatever that is. The last few years, fall has been dragging out into December, heck it never hardly left last year. Most years historically here in WI we can count on snow on the ground within the next 3 weeks, in time for gun deer season, but it's been a warm, brown past half dozen or so years.

The mushrooms were burned up this spring before they havever started before. We've had anomalous weather patterns here so long, (since el nino) probably been fifteen years, now they have become normal. Last year was over the top. Guys were tearing up farmland in late February. That's considered an omen to most. We are looking for normal winter. You and I were in Jr High the last time we had real, sustained snow. We are 500+ mile south of yun' though.

ours get stacked in with all the other wood, I'm an equal opportunity stacker I guess you could say!

uglies usually get stacked in the overnight stove load, they do sometimes seem to burn longer if they're full of knots and twists!

Now that I have an OWB, I've been going out into the woods & bringing back all sorts of stuff that I wouldn't even consider bringing into the house. Most recent examples are: a 4' long chunk of carpenter ant infested Ash that I left behind 6 years ago. Also some of the Pine blow-downs that have been on the ground for several years. Sure, it's saturated & I can bury my knife blade into it, but it will still burn if I keep some good stuff in there with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back